Send Topic Print
opps... (Read 504 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: opps...
Reply #15 - 05/15/13 at 05:37:17

Extra scrutiny does not necessarily mean "going after".

Star; not even you can get behind this. What occurred was not 'extra scrutiny'. they released personal financial records to liberal organizations. That is not extra scrutiny; that is intended to quiet citizen's voices.

secondly; read up on the difference between 501 and 503.

If somehow it's proven Hopey was behind this; and i'm not saying he was; but if he was, he's toast.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/15/13 at 06:07:43

is this 'extra scrutiny' ?

One of President Barack Obama's re-election campaign co-chairmen used a leaked document from the IRS to attack GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney during the 2012 election, according to the National Organization for Marriage (NOM).

NOM, a pro-traditional marriage organization, claims the IRS leaked their 2008 confidential financial documents to the rival Human Rights Campaign. Those NOM documents were published on the Huffington Post on March 30, 2012. At that time, Joe Solmonese, a left-wing activist and Huffington Post contributor, was the president of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC). Solmonese was also a 2012 Obama campaign co-chairman.

Both the Huffington Post's Sam Stein and HRC described the leak as coming from a “whistleblower.” The Huffington Post used the document to write a story questioning former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney’s support for traditional marriage. The document showed Romney donated $10,000 to NOM. HRC went a step further than the Huffington Post in its criticism of Romney and accused him of using “racially divisive tactics” in a press release.

Solmonese, then still the HRC’s president, said in the release he felt Romney’s “funding of a hate-filled campaign designed to drive a wedge between Americans is beyond despicable.”

“Not only has Romney signed NOM’s radical marriage pledge, now we know he’s one of the donors that NOM has been so desperate to keep secret all these years,” Solmonese added.

Solmonese resigned his position at HRC the next day and took up a position as an Obama campaign co-chair. He had announced the then-pending resignation from HRC the previous autumn.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 05/15/13 at 07:29:17

WebsterMark wrote on 05/14/13 at 17:03:20:
the fact is they got hit with 3200 organisations claiming they were tax exempt almost over night. 90% republicommunist leaning. So if they asked for documentation from say 50% of applicants, it will be republicommunist 9 to 1. Just the odds ...

no, no, no, no, no. You are not going to get by with covering for Hopey by making this into less than it is. That's not what happened.

Deny deny deny ... There were also democrat groups scrutinized. Look it up. But the republican groups out number them by 9-1 - the same percentage of the applications. Look it up.

And lets see - Tax collectors target anti tax groups (TEA part).

And this beauty - Anti govt group applies for govt exemption.
Sounds like an onion headline.

And they scrutinized "patriot" and when did patriot become republican ?

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 05/15/13 at 08:16:35

Oooo and before the republicommunists take the high ground on this -

http://www.publicinterestwatch.org/3_25_06.htm

And the NAACP -

While the media cries foul over IRS Tea-Party action; NAACP 2004 tax audit was met w/ near silence

Look it up. Its been proved that Bush did that too.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/15/13 at 08:23:06

There is a difference in what we are talking about. We are not talking about delays and scrutiny. We are talking about confidential information from conservative groups being handed over to their political enemies. We are not talking about delays.

Find me evidence where dozens and dozens of liberal organizations applying for tax exempt status had their private information handed over to conservative organizations.

All this talking about delays and scrutiny is an attempt to cloud the issue. Was the private information of NAACP leaders handed over to Matt Drudge? Were the petitioners of the NAACP asked who their donors are? Were they asked for their personal facebook pages? were they asked what books they were reading/

See the difference?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 05/15/13 at 08:36:56

There was no citizens united in 2003-2006. So it was never anonymous ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/15/13 at 08:39:16

what does the citizens united case have to do with the IRS giving confidential information to a organizations political enemy?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 05/15/13 at 08:48:16

WebsterMark wrote on 05/15/13 at 08:39:16:
what does the citizens united case have to do with the IRS giving confidential information to a organizations political enemy?

Citizens united is what made it secret. The information about donors was public before it. So it was not needed from the organization. So your case is invalid there. They didn't ask for the list of donors, cos it was already disclosed in 03-06.

However NAACP and greenpeace are decades old. Their continued operation was not subject to any scrutiny. The new organizations are subject to eligibility reviews before assigned a valid status.

So whatever be the case the IRS over reach under Bush was far more egregious. The ones now are in start-up cases.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/15/13 at 09:10:13

I do not believe that is anywhere near the truth.
Confidential information was not available for the asking to an organizations political enemies. this is what I mean by trying to cloud the issue to protect Obama.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 05/15/13 at 14:57:38

WebsterMark wrote on 05/15/13 at 09:10:13:
I do not believe that is anywhere near the truth.
Confidential information was not available for the asking to an organizations political enemies. this is what I mean by trying to cloud the issue to protect Obama.  

Hey, you dont have to believe anything ... Its just what is proved.
Its in any case a lot cleaner in Obama's WH than it was ever in any WH for 20 years ... 30 years. That is what the people see.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 05/15/13 at 15:45:22

oh good God that is just simply wrong. you might as well be saying 2+2=5.

The IRS, since Nixon maybe, has NEVER given confidential information to an organizations personal enemies. Never. You have to admit that. If you can't admit that, what possible credibility could you ever have? Citizen's United has absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 05/15/13 at 18:21:50

OK I finally read and heard more news about this.
You're missing some key parts of this puzzle.

IRS asked for information because they are supposed to. 501c4 is a non political organisation. Its a social welfare organisation. So a group named with "TEA" in the name is blatantly polictical much like a group would be if it had say "Obama" in the name.

Then 300 or so groups were scrutinized.
Of that 100 had TEA or Patriot in their name. TEA is obviously republican but its not supposed to be political, cos they are social welfare org that's what 501c4 is.

"Patriot" is neither. You cant complain about that as a flag.

The other 200 were random - scrutinized for being rather political looking when they should not be political.

However all of this really pales in comparison to Bush getting the IRS to go after NAACP and Green peace, especially after appointing the only 2 political appointees to the IRS.

If anyone got their political agenda pushed by the IRS, it was the Bushies my friend.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #27 - 05/15/13 at 19:25:06

The Real I.R.S. Scandal

Posted by Jeffrey Toobin at the New Yorker

"SNIP..........................

So the scandal—the real scandal—is that 501(c)(4) groups have been engaged in political activity in such a sustained and open way. As Fred Wertheimer, the President of Democracy 21, a government-ethics watchdog group, put it, “it is clear that a number of groups have improperly claimed tax-exempt status as section 501(c)(4) ‘social welfare’ organizations in order to hide the donors who financed their campaign activities in the 2010 and 2012 federal elections.”

Some people in the I.R.S. field office in Cincinnati took the names of certain groups—names that included the terms “Tea Party” and “patriot,” among others, which tend to signal conservatism—as signals that they might not be engaged in “social welfare” operations. Rather, the I.R.S. employees thought that these groups might be doing explicit politics—which would disqualify them for 501(c)(4) status, and set them aside for closer examination. This appears to have been a pretty reasonable assumption on the part of the I.R.S. employees: having “Tea Party” in your name is at least a slight clue about partisanship. When the inspector-general report becomes public, we’ll surely learn the identity of these organizations. How many will look like “social welfare” organizations—and how many will look like political activists looking for anonymity and tax breaks? My guess is a lot more of the latter than the former.

It is certainly true that the I.R.S., and every other part of the government, should be evenhanded in how it applies the law, regarding liberal and conservative groups alike. If left-leaning organizations were disguising their true purposes to obtain 501(c)(4) status, the I.R.S. should have turned them down, too. And there will also be questions about how the Service, which is an independent agency, answered questions from Congress.

But let’s be clear on the real scandal here. The columnist Michael Kinsley has often observed that the scandal isn’t what’s illegal—it’s what’s legal. It’s what society chooses not to punish that tells us most about the prevailing ethical standards of the time. Campaign finance operates by shaky, or even nonexistent, rules, and powerful players game the system with impunity. A handful of I.R.S. employees saw this and tried, in a small way, to impose some small sense of order. For that, they’ll likely be ushered into bureaucratic oblivion.

...........................END SNIP"

Most 501(C)(4) organizations are crooked shams preforming illegal acts. If they don't want to pay taxes and want donation privacy they shouldn't be allowed to deal in ANY political activities without losing their status.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #28 - 05/15/13 at 20:17:02

It seems to me that the IRS was merely doing their job. Teabaggers claiming tax exemption because they're a non political social welfare group?? Really? ...Besides, 25% of the groups "targeted" were bagger groups. Who were the rest and why aren't they bitching about it?

Nothing I have seen ur read shows that the Tea Party was treated worse than other political groups seeking tax exempt status, instead I am seeing what appears to be a clear example of the Tea Party actually being shown favoritism over other political groups.

The Inspector General's report revealed that 2/3 of the groups that were scrutinized by the IRS were in no way affiliated with the Tea Party yet they were all targeted. Why is it that the IRS has only apologized to the Tea Party and not to any other groups who were targeted for scrutiny?

Emerge America was one of the Democratic leaning groups that was targeted and they actually lost their tax exempt status while every Tea Party group was allowed to keep theirs.

If the Tea Party deserves an apology why don't the non-Tea Party majority deserve an apology as well?

To be honest I don't personally think any of the groups deserve an apology, but if the IRS is going to apologize to one side of the political aisle they sure as hell better be able to give an explanation as to why they did not believe the other side of the aisle was worthy of an apology. If they can not do that they seem to me to be biased and it is a bias that actually favors the Tea Party.

To me the problem is with the whole system. Too many groups get tax-exempt status when they should not. This is a way of hiding donors.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/16/13 at 05:21:26

I think you gentlemen are purposely avoiding the main topic and trying to bring other issues into this in order to protect the administration. This is about 501, 503 or 504. This is not about Bush.  

Answer two questions:  was the personal, financial and confidential application of dozens of liberal organizations given to their political enemies? Yes or No

Were liberal organizations asked to answer additional questions which included list of donors, did they associate with a particular individual, did they have facebook pages and if so, to list them?
Yes or No

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:48:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › opps...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.