Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Who's into LED's, cheap DIY LED design+build. (Read 213 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Who's into LED's, cheap DIY LED design+build.
Reply #30 - 05/17/13 at 05:48:39

Those straw hat 140 degree 90,000 mcd lights if you put a 50 ohm 1/2 watt in series with 5 led's you can get it working as a brake light.

In effect a bike will make up to 15 V dc @ the brake light. 5 led's say pulling 2.2v will be 11v. Your overage is 4 v. 50 ohm resistor will give you 80ma. Those LED's like 100ma max and 150ma pulse. Perfect. You can in effect put a 1/2 amp in line fuse if you're running say 3-4 rows on the running light and 3-4 in the brake line.
The limiting factor is the size of the PCB that will fit in the brake light housing. You also need to point it upward a bit, the savage tail light is awful low to the ground.

I may not do this, so dont wait for pics.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 05/17/13 at 06:17:14

There is a guy in Arizona named Dave who goes by the handle AZDave on a lot of forums. Big LED/controller guy.
He made full breadboards and LED controllers for his car so he can program them.
He did two separate circuits for brake lights vs tail lights. I believe it was 6 volts for the tails and then a full 12 for the brake lights. There's a lot of cool things that can be done. I'd like to convert some the bulbs in my house to LEDs.
On cars like my Eclipse which have known charging issues the LEDs really help lighten the load.

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #32 - 05/17/13 at 14:03:19

Paraquat wrote on 05/17/13 at 06:17:14:
There is a guy in Arizona named Dave who goes by the handle AZDave on a lot of forums. Big LED/controller guy.
He made full breadboards and LED controllers for his car so he can program them.
He did two separate circuits for brake lights vs tail lights. I believe it was 6 volts for the tails and then a full 12 for the brake lights. There's a lot of cool things that can be done. I'd like to convert some the bulbs in my house to LEDs.
On cars like my Eclipse which have known charging issues the LEDs really help lighten the load.

--Steve

I wont do it on the savage - I may do it on the GS though. I dunno, I think you are likely to run ahead of me if only you were to get started on it. You seem to have a bigger need.
I was playing with LED's cos I have vintage receivers that have blown bulbs that are not available anymore.
My house lighting etc etc are out of having a hobby, not out of need.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #33 - 05/17/13 at 16:02:22

Srin,  is that rectangular thing, the 100 ohm resistor?...

It's huge,... I thought a itty bitty one would do...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #34 - 05/17/13 at 19:05:56

Serowbot wrote on 05/17/13 at 16:02:22:
Srin,  is that rectangular thing, the 100 ohm resistor?...

It's huge,... I thought a itty bitty one would do...

If you're using 1 for the whole array - its massive.
If you use 1 per line - that's what they recomend and supply with your order, then its small.
The truth is, I tend to have things that go in amps and other electronic devices. I also pull them out of those same devices. Its your choice. Dont learn any bad habits from me, I learnt my electronics skills the DIY way. Hook it up, and if it dont blow up, its good.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #35 - 05/17/13 at 22:46:50

"If it don't blow up, it's good"...
That's exactly how how I got this short a distance, in this long a life...
... but hey,... I'm still kickin'!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #36 - 05/18/13 at 16:25:32

Hey serow - and others too - I didn't mean to let my lack of means (or brains) limit your options.

OK so I present courtesy google -

Transistor regulated power - on the nose all the time.
A 7812 is a 12V, 7805 is a 5 volt, etc etc, rock solid transistors, 100 years old design - literally 100 generations of refinements have got this working perfect.

For tons and tons of reading to help put you to sleep - http://lateblt.tripod.com/3pinvolt.htm

The salient item -
The pinout for a three-pin voltage regulator is as follows:
1: Voltage in
2: Ground
3: Voltage out

For example, with a 9-volt battery, you'd connect the positive end to pin 1 and the negative (or ground) end to pin 2. A 7805 would then give you +5 volts on pin 3.

Look up diagrams etc if you want to actually learn, instead of letting my hack methods guide you wrong - easy.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #37 - 05/20/13 at 17:14:46

The LED's are here, the LED's are here ...

OK today we had to work late and commute by truck and buy a buch of injun groceries and fill gas and all manner of un sightly crap cos I had the truck and the car was in the shop.

Tomorrow we commute by bike ... get home early and solder us 30,000,000,000 candela and see if we cant light the moon up ... wooooo hooo ...

And for the first time I saved the post I wanted to be on top for last ...
Bye kids, beer is calling, wife is nagging, kiddo is mathing (and he's finally realised I am smarter than his teachers in math) and some sorta monster injun food on the table ... au revoir, Bon nuit, mes amies.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 05/21/13 at 06:09:51

You should've asked. Here's a voltage regulator circuit I stumbled upon and drew up in MS paint.
My LEDs required 8 volts. Anything above 10 cooked them and anything below 5 and they wouldn't light up so I had to do something.

RS PN = Radio Shack Part Number

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #39 - 05/21/13 at 15:55:38

Well those straw hat 95,000 mcd buggers - are a bit of a let down. Atleast for now.
@ 50 for some $22 they are positively steep.

Anyway they sent me those with 5.1 ohm 1/4 watt resistors @ my request. The problem was 1/4 watt wasn't enough to keep it from turning red hot and going poof.

2 watt IMHO minimum.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #40 - 05/24/13 at 08:47:00

I have a 5 LED series with 2 5.1 ohm 1/4 watt resistors. I guess its drawing ~75 ma. It works fine, however I am still not impressed. Those little buggers 100 for $3 and 35,000 mcd is a killer steal. These for $22 for 50 is a loser IMHO.
Watch this space - pics tonight.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 05/24/13 at 09:12:01

You have me pondering how I could use my existing dimmer to control the lights in my kitchen. I don't think I can. If I had a 110VAC to 12VDC wall wart or something in or above the fixture the dimmer would only control the AC. I'd have to run a new dimmer.
However for lights in my individual rooms they could be useful.

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #42 - 05/24/13 at 10:50:31

Dimmers work by doing a garbage version of a 1/2 wave rectification. It may work, but you're better off just going straight to AC IMHO.

LED's dont mind dirty power, power with a ton of ripple or even straight ac. However you need to exceed their trigger voltage to light, and not exceed their max current to stay alive. Those numbers get hard to calculate if you have a bad poiwer source, except by trial and error. $$$ and dangerous.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #43 - 05/30/13 at 19:33:20

Next installment - OK I skipped one installment but this continues the series.

With an LED lit push switch.

I used this one - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320894926263&ssPageName=AD...

There is a trick to wiring it though especially if you want the led to light, and those guys are clueless. You need a 400-2.2K resistor wired from the hot side of the switch - the side with the connection to the adapter to the led + leg. The other wire to the led panel needs to get contacted to the - leg. That is if you are switching in the positive line to your panel.

The LED terminals are + and -. The switched terminals are not marked, obviously they can be tested for continuity. LED ones can not.
The switch led lights up all the time. Obviously in the dark you want to find it, then when 20 of them lights are blinding you, you still want to find it so you can turn it off.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:40:36

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Who's into LED's, cheap DIY LED design+build.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.