Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goverment Is Totally Incompetent (Read 69 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Goverment Is Totally Incompetent
04/25/13 at 19:46:38

Wow. Losing money from making money… That's got to be hard to do, right?

In 2012, it cost the U.S. Mint two cents to create a penny. I am not rounding up. It cost two cents. That is actually down from 2011, when it cost 2.4 cents to make a penny.

It's not just the penny… Last year, it cost the Mint over 10 cents to create each nickel in 2012.

When you add it up, our brilliant government lost nine figures last year alone (that's a number in the hundreds of millions) simply on minting pennies and nickels last year.

And our government lost more than $100 million on MAKING MONEY – something that should be a guaranteed profit!

Think about it this way…  

The federal government takes your money in taxes – one-third of your income. And then it uses that money to mint pennies and nickels – at a major loss… at a cost of twice the face value of the coins!

Your government has an incredible power – to mint money out of thin air. And it is so incompetent, it manages to lose twice the face value of those coins on every one that is made.

Even crazier, this has gone on for years… and your government hasn't done anything about it. For proof, check out this actual quote from the U.S. Mint's 2012 Annual Report (emphasis mine):

The costs to manufacture and distribute both the one-cent and five-cent coins exceeded their face value again, just as they have for each of the last six years. This negative seigniorage concerns us, and we continue to explore ways to address it.

Your government has lost money from printing pennies and nickels each year for the last six years… And it is still "exploring ways to address it."

Your government commissioned a two-year study from an outside company to figure out what to do, which just concluded in December 2012. The result was… nothing! It apparently needed more time to reach a conclusion.

How much time do you need? I can solve this problem in 20 seconds…  

You have two choices:

•  
Stop minting the coins you're losing money on (for example, get rid of the penny).
•  
Start minting money using a material (like steel for a nickel) that's worth less than its cost of production.

Done! How much should I get paid for that absolutely correct advice? Didn't even take me one year!

This is not rocket science. Australia figured this out in 1991 and got rid of its pennies. It's been done before. Our government is just failing here.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Goverment Is Totally Incompetent
Reply #1 - 04/25/13 at 20:15:53

Shhhh You're cutting into my retirement plan ...
Collect up all the pre 1991 pennies ...
Copper in them worth 7-8c.

India has the small denomination bills - Rupee - Re 1 - worth about 2.5 pennies printed out of something that feels an awful lot like notebook paper.
Of course Injun coins are still there and cool. Our currency is called the paisa. p for short. They have become smaller and are only round, not even knurled edges.
We used to have a wave sided circle for the 10p, a square one for the 5p and a hexagon shaped piece for a 3p in the 70's and 80's. The 20p piece was first made in copper and then in brass ... worth over 75p even when it was made. People used to pray using it cos it had a lotus on it and that was holy for Injuns.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 04/25/13 at 20:32:37

Midnightrider wrote on 04/25/13 at 19:46:38:
...How much time do you need? I can solve this problem in 20 seconds…  

You have two choices:

•  
Stop minting the coins you're losing money on (for example, get rid of the penny).
•  
Start minting money using a material (like steel for a nickel) that's worth less than its cost of production....

Must be nice to be rich.  I am not and I count my pennies.  
The cost of production of coins is mostly labor.

You may think that Government Is Totally Incompetent -- but it is still in business.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 04/25/13 at 21:14:05

Paladin. wrote on 04/25/13 at 20:32:37:
Midnightrider wrote on 04/25/13 at 19:46:38:
...How much time do you need? I can solve this problem in 20 seconds…  

You have two choices:

•  
•  
Start minting money using a material (like steel for a nickel) that's worth less than its cost of production....

Must be nice to be rich.  I am not and I count my pennies.  
The cost of production of coins is mostly labor.

You may think that Government Is Totally Incompetent -- but it is still in business.

Its not mostly labor, I am nearly sure none of it is labor ... its metal, electricity, security for transporting this crap to and from the mint and other garbage ... OK Fine there is some labor ... but metal and power etc etc eat up much of the $.

But - Having no coins would suck ... cos we're losing $ on the dollar bill too. Its got a life of 18-24 months and costs like $2 to make.
We prolly should lose the penny, make the nickel smaller and thinner than the dime, make the quarter about 1/2 the current size - like nickel size, mint a dollar the size of the quarter, and a $2 slightly bigger, and lose the 1/2 dollar ...

One of those eastern european countries have no coins ... hungary I think. They find it very disgusting cos after about 6 months the often traded bills - like our 25c would be, turns into something comparable to used toilet paper ...

Coins on average last 30+ years. And these are the heaviest handled items.
Bills last 18-24 months when traded often. Makes more sense to make a 2c penny 1 time in 30 yrs than a just as $$$ bill every other year.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #4 - 04/25/13 at 21:46:44

Canada has saved millions upon millions of dollars by discontinuing the one dollar bill and the two dollar bill. They replaced them both with a one dollar and a two dollar coin (very distinct looking from their other coins).

An additional benefit of this is that vending machines can work with coins only, no more trying to stuff worn dollar bills into the bill slot which is very hard to convert to and maintain in vending machines...a good move by Canada to save money. We could do the same thing here and save a bundle also.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 04/25/13 at 23:32:44

When I was a young boy, in England... the penny was the very largest coin...  It seemed stupid... (the size of a US half dollar)...
... but, maybe it was smart... it made you want to get rid of them...
Nobody wanted a pocket full of penny's...
...(American pennies, cost 2 cents each, to make)...
Grin...

... if America wants to get rid of the dollar bill... they should make a dollar coin, that don't look like quarter. but, is still convenient... Make it octagonal, but, between the size of a nickle and a quarter...
Make it like an English, threepenny bit... (it was very popular,... you could find it in your pocket -12 sided)...

... Then, start printing dollar bills, that don't fit in our wallets...
Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 04/27/13 at 15:53:57

Starlifter wrote on 04/25/13 at 21:46:44:
Canada has saved millions upon millions of dollars by discontinuing the one dollar bill and the two dollar bill. They replaced them both with a one dollar and a two dollar coin (very distinct looking from their other coins).

An additional benefit of this is that vending machines can work with coins only, no more trying to stuff worn dollar bills into the bill slot which is very hard to convert to and maintain in vending machines...a good move by Canada to save money. We could do the same thing here and save a bundle also.

We just got rid of the penny too, and they are talking about a $5 coin.
When they first came out the $1 coin had a loon on one side, so we called it the "looney". When the $2 coin came out we called it the "tooney". Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 04/28/13 at 10:08:23

Those looney's and tooneys are cool.
A 5ney ... you dont say.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:09:46

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Goverment Is Totally Incompetent

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.