Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stripped Cyl Head bolt threads (the long one) (Read 551 times)
Cpt.Brad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stripped Cyl Head bolt threads (the long one)
04/08/13 at 05:04:12

Just bought this bike from a certain dealership near me.  And after 100 miles of riding notice an extremely slow oild leak coming from back right cylinder head bolt. Its the long one that goes maybe even down to the case.  Anyhow I checked it and indeed it was loose so I tightened it only to be panic stricken when upon turning the wrench there was little resistance and that the bolt was (actually the threads way down at the bottom) stripped.  It had obviously been cleaned up so as not to be noticed and since it was such a slow leak even the thorough check I gave it at the dealership couldn't have found it.  I took it back to the dealership and am waiting to hear the verdict but I am hoping to get some help.  What do yall think. I paid a higher end price for the used bike based on the fact that it had only 1600 miles and was in perfect cond. with no problems.  Well so I thought.  I don't know I just felt like the pulled one over on me and Im hoping that even if they didn't know about this that they are willing to help me out.  Im still willing to pay them some but I refuse to let them stick me with a full price bill, Id just as soon take it somewhere else. Sad

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Stripped Cyl Head bolt threads (the long one)
Reply #1 - 04/08/13 at 05:32:24

It could have been cleaned up by the PO before it got traded in at the dealership, you'll probably never know.  A bigger question is why is it stripped, what problem led to someone stripping out the bolt on a supposedly low mileage bike?  I would put that question to them and use it as leverage to get them to do what you think is best for you.  It doesn't seem to me that you should have to pay them any additional money for a repair.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 04/08/13 at 07:19:10

Not to worry, you need a longer bolt.   You can order several increasingly longer ones on line with little trouble.

There is extra threaded hole depth left in the hole that had the top part strip out.  There are lots of references on line on how to turn a bolt into a one time tap, so do that to your longest bolt.

Once you tap down to find the bottom of the existing drilled hole and have tapped as deep as you can, count the turns of engagement.   If you have four turns or more you can use the hole "as is" without drilling for additional depth, just go with a very mild tightening of the bolt.

Spec on those things is 70 to 100 inch pounds (you can read that as 5 to 8 foot pounds, 5 pounds being moderate finger pressure) and YOU DON'T HAVE TO TIGHTEN THAT MUCH TO GET IT TO SEAL.  Your goal is to tighten it just enough to seal the oil leak, then quit.  Since it is a no loss proposition, you can sneak up on it from the bottom end gradually.

Notice this method requires no disassembly and no big labor charges, so of course the dealerships won't tell you about it.

But we will .....     Wink

=====================

Next, read up on the head plug leak -- go to the index at the top of TECH SECTION to find it.   Odds are some of you leak may be coming from this, but since you stripped the threads on the long bolt you have to fix it anyway.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 04/08/13 at 07:30:55

This forum is one of the very best things mankind has ever achieved.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 04/08/13 at 07:41:30

I had the very same bolt stripped out on a bike I bought to fix and sell. Tried the method above but it was too far gone...

pulled the engine and put it on the bench (it's heavy btw... Grin).
anyway i ended up fixing it with a helicoil kit and sold it to my friend's wife (she bought for his birthday)...still going strong and made a few bucks on the way...

if the dealer does that they will likely charge you plenty btw...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #5 - 04/08/13 at 11:48:11

[There is extra threaded hole depth left in the hole that had the top part strip out[/u].  There are lots of references on line on how to turn a bolt into a one time tap, so do that to your longest bolt.

Once you tap down to find the bottom of the existing drilled hole and have tapped as deep as you can, count the turns of engagement.   If you have four turns or more you can use the hole "as is" without drilling for additional depth, just go with a very mild tightening of the bolt.]

I too had this prob. I did exactly like what OF talks about here, and yes you can re-tighten a slightly  longer bolt back down.  Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 04/08/13 at 12:18:03

Gyrobob wrote on 04/08/13 at 07:30:55:
This forum is one of the very best things mankind has ever achieved.

Can we have this framed?...  Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 04/08/13 at 12:19:30

There is a thing called the Lemon law which protects you from such as this.  They sold you a defective product and it's upto the dealer to fix and or replace it.  If they try to charge you for the fix threaten getting a lawyer about it for miss-representing the condition of the motorcycle and I will almost guarantee they will fix it for free.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 04/08/13 at 12:30:52

I believe that only applies to new vehicles, not used ones.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 04/08/13 at 15:08:41

apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/08/13 at 12:30:52:

Not true at all.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 04/08/13 at 16:03:17

Cavi Mike wrote on 04/08/13 at 15:08:41:
apache snow-FSO wrote on 04/08/13 at 12:30:52:

Not true at all.

I was thinking about my state. Only 6 states have used vehicle lemon laws. Connecticut, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico and New York . You just happen to live in one of those states.

And in this case the dealer may not have know about this problem if the person they got it from cleaned it up and did not say any thing about it so the dealer did not knowingly deceive the buyer. And many of the better dealers will offer some kind of remedy in this situation.

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty/my-used-cars-a-lemon-am-i-stuck-with-it....

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
rfbznb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

laurel lake, nj
Reply #11 - 04/08/13 at 17:50:44

I had the thing happen to me 2 years ago.
I got a longer bolt and it lasted 2 years then when I redid the motor I took the bolt out and put a  helicoil in it.
this is the bolt I used
http://www.mcmaster.com
part # 93275A028
Black-oxide Steel Spacing Stud, M6x1mm Size, 175mm L, 35mm & 35mm Thrd Lengths

and this is the helicoil kit I used
advanceautoparts.com
Part No. HEL5546-6
Heli-Coil Thread Repair Kit M6 x 1in

IP Logged
noah7324290
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/17/15 at 06:45:04

Hello I just got my bike a few months ago during winter to start my project it all done but I have a stripped cylinder head the long 10 bolt...I ordered what the guys in the post before me did is going to try that just wondering if it's should have oil coming out of the top on fire up I didn't have the bolt in at all and oil went everwhere

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 02/17/15 at 07:02:23

yes

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 02/17/15 at 07:03:45

noah7324290 wrote on 02/17/15 at 06:45:04:
Hello I just got my bike a few months ago during winter to start my project it all done but I have a stripped cylinder head the long 10 bolt...I ordered what the guys in the post before me did is going to try that just wondering if it's should have oil coming out of the top on fire up I didn't have the bolt in at all and oil went everwhere

Yes oil will go everywhere with this bolt removed,  as this bolt goes through the passage that supplies the oil to the top of the cylinder head.  Don't run your bike until you get this fixed - as no oil will be going to the cam or valves until you have that bolt back in place.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 13:13:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stripped Cyl Head bolt threads (the long one)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.