Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whining noise while engine braking. (Read 172 times)
ImJeff
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Whining noise while engine braking.
09/25/20 at 01:32:42

Hello forum, I'm a new rider whose first bike purchase was a very messed up 2003 suzuki savage. I love the bike, and through the help of a good friend, we've performed all basic maintenance and gotten the bike running again.  The last thing I am having trouble diagnosing is a whine that comes from perhaps the transmission? Engine? While engine braking. I think that I hear the same noise when accelerating, however it is most prominent when engine braking from a high rpm, it can start as what sounds like a buzzing when coming down from a high rev, and turns in to a steady high pitched whine when I've decelerated to the bottom of the gear. The noise is not present when rolling at speed with the clutch engaged, or in neutral, which is pointing me to perhaps a gearbox issue? Or a worn bearing? Rather than a belt/sprocket whine. If this sounds like something to anyone, or if anyone could point me towards how I might go about diagnosing and subsequently fixing this issue please let me know. I would be happy to go and try to make recordings of the noise or provide more information/pictures if it would help. Thank you!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Whining noise while engine braking.
Reply #1 - 09/25/20 at 03:34:20

A whine from the engine/transmission is normal....mine has been whining since I bought it.

Check your belt tension and make sure it is not too tight....you should be able to twist it 90 degrees with your finger and thumb at the mid point between the pulleys.

Don't worry about the whine....it is likely normal and just gear noise.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 09/25/20 at 07:38:11

Lots of posts on the exact same topic on here.
Use Google and:  belt whining site:suzukisavage.com
The "site:suzukisavage.com" will specifically search this forum and works better than the built-in search for many things.

I had the same thing.  Mine was both the belt adjusted too tight and a bit of rear pulley wobble.  I try to run the belt a little loose, but shimming the rear pulley is what made all the difference in the world.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 09/25/20 at 12:57:16

ImJeff wrote on 09/25/20 at 01:32:42:
... The noise is not present when rolling at speed with the clutch engaged, or in neutral, which is pointing me to perhaps a gearbox issue? Or a worn bearing? Rather than a belt/sprocket whine...

My belt whines a bit on deceleration but not when rolling with the clutch in. It also occasionally 'chirps' on acceleration and declaration. Cleaning the belt, adjusting the tension, and setting the alignment of the rear wheel all helped ... mostly. I also sometimes put a small smear of bees wax on the edges of the belt.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/25/20 at 13:48:49

Look and make sure you dont have a passenger..
I noticed they whine a lot when I used to carry one occasionally..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 09/27/20 at 17:11:48

The gear whine on deceleration is normal for my 96.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #6 - 10/01/20 at 19:27:23

You said you bought the bike in bad condition right?
Check to make sure your front sprocket is on tight
Make sure the rear wheel is tight too
Check if theres any wobble in the rear pulley

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 10/02/20 at 04:01:41

FYI there is a belt noise and there is lower end whine.  They are different things.  The OP clearly stated that they believe this is not a belt whine.

The belt on my bike was noisy.  The only thing that calmed that down was a slight adjustment to the rear wheel alignment.  (Yes, I have the double bering mod.)  The lower end whine on deceleration is still present. It has been there since I got my bike with 3500 miles on it.  So it's "normal" for my bike until it gets worse.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 10/02/20 at 11:40:12

If youre trying to determine what is belt noise and what isnt, go to the store and buy some Gulf canning wax. Take a chunk and rake it across the belt, between front and rear pulleys. Get that area well dosed, roll the bike, do it more,,
Then go for a ride,,
Its messy,, cuz it slings wax on the wheel,, but youll soon know if its the belt,

Of course,, starting with the Experienced Savage riders approach to belt adjustment,,
Using a weak handed approach, twist the belt 1/2 way between the pulleys. You need to be able to get a 90 degree twist in it without working hard at all,,
Tight is noisy,,

Riding in the rain,, its Gonna be noisy
Tomorrow,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #9 - 10/02/20 at 13:14:29

Can you still find canning wax? Man that makes me feel old 😂

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #10 - 10/02/20 at 13:59:28

Jeff, the belt whine is difficult to isolate from transmission whine.  As you power up or decelerate the rear pulley can shift/skew right & left.  That causes the sides of the belt to rub on the sides of the pulley.  I think you should spring the $15 bucks (or thereabouts) and upgrade to the double-row bearing.  It's a worthwhile improvement and certainly eliminates the belt voodoo.  Also very easy to do.

This old post gives you all the details.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1561964431

Good luck, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/02/20 at 18:56:19

Jeff, the belt whine is difficult to isolate from transmission whine

No,, Its not,, My post explains how,,

IP Logged
ImJeff
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/09/20 at 00:49:24

Just as an update to whoever might see this, I ended up cleaning my belt and rubbing some beeswax on its sides, this took care of the majority of the noise and of the alarm I felt, though I'll probably still make some adjustments to the alignment after I replace the tires. I'm a noob rider so its still hard to distinguish between normal bike noise and problematic noise. At this point though I'm feeling pretty satisfied with things, it's an old bike, bought it neglected and not working for 700 bucks, the thing now runs fine and is fun as hell. Now if only the DMV's were more open with covid and I could get through the beurocracy and actually take it out of my neighborhood. That's a whole different kind of challenge. But anyway, thanks for all the input guys, super helpful stuff in this thread.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 10/09/20 at 09:49:34

Ahhhh, belt whine...
The Savage mating call.     Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 03:21:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whining noise while engine braking.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.