Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carburetor Air Screw Setting? (Read 409 times)
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Carburetor Air Screw Setting?
04/02/13 at 04:31:34

Sorry for such a noob question, but what is the factory air screw setting on the BS 40? Which way do you turn the screw to lean the mixture out a little? My bike is running a little on the rich side.  Thanks

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Carburetor Air Screw Setting?
Reply #1 - 04/02/13 at 04:39:54

I generally start at 1.5 turns when adjusting any carb.  You then turn the screw in until you hear the engine start to slow down or run rough.  As you turn the screw out you should hear the rpm increase and the engine start to run smooth.  When you have turned the screw out far enough the engine should begin to change the exhaust tone will begin to burble which indicates the engine is running rich.  You then want to turn the screw midway between those two settings (lean/rich).  If you can turn the screw out 3 full turns from being lightly seated and not get a sound of running too rich - then the pilot jet is too small.  (After 3 turns out the tapered screw is no longer restricting the flow and additional turns will do nothing).

Learn to use the Index in the Technical Section to do some research, there is plenty of information there that will answer most of your questions.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1181745927

Here is a list of ths stcok carb settings:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

Here is another suggestion on how to adjust your carb:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1157720585

Here is Serowbot's method:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - 04/02/13 at 05:14:00

I myself tried reading those guides still am confused.
1.5 turns clockwise ?

like do we start by turning the screw clockwise all the way in or something?

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 04/02/13 at 06:10:03

The screw has normal threads and turning it clockwise will cause it to bottom out  out on the seat (do this gently). You then turn the screw counterclockwise and back the screw out 1.5 turns and start the engine. The engine should be completely warmed up before you start trying to adjust the idle mixture.  Turning the screw clockwise will turn the screw in and reduce the amount of fuel, turning it counterclockwise will increase the amount of fuel in the mix.....until you get to 3 turns and then it wll not hav any additional effect.

The idle screw only has an effect on the fuel mixture at idle and at throttle settings less than about 1/8 of the full throttle movement.  You may be able to help reduce backfiring by going just a tad richer.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 04/02/13 at 06:11:15

Coaxial wrote on 04/02/13 at 05:14:00:
1.5 turns clockwise ?

That's correct. CAREFULLY turn the screw in(clockwise)until it stops. Don't turn it tight -just till it stops. Then turn it out 1 and one half turns.
Start the bike. Let the engine warm up, and then follow Daves directions.

Be very careful with the screw. The slot for the screwdriver isn't very deep and the screw is brass. It's real easy to bugger it up.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 04/02/13 at 06:29:57

Go back a forth till you get the highest rpm idle. from 1 1/2 open.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 04/02/13 at 08:01:59

Thanks guys that really helps. I am immersing myself in the workings of the carburator now. I will venture into rejetting when my new muffler arrives

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 04/02/13 at 08:10:40

Coaxial wrote on 04/02/13 at 05:14:00:
1.5 turns clockwise ?

Turn it clockwise like very gently until it stops.  This screws it in.  Then turn it out counterclockwise like 1.5 turns.  Then do what Dave said.

Make sure the motor is warmed up all the way, but have a fan on it when adjusting the carb.  If the motor is too cool, or if it is getting like too hot from idling a long time, the adjustment will be correct for some situation other than normal.  

You'll never get it right and you'll be like OMG.

Another trick for the lazy people like me is to put it at 1.5 turns, drive it around for a few days and see how it works.  
 -- Then screw it out .5 turns and drive around for a few more days.
 -- Then another half a turn for another few days.  Etc.  
 -- After a while you'll find a setting where you and the bike are most happy.  
 -- This is not all that silly an idea because you are setting the carb for real world operations, rather than an approximate setting with the motor idling and idling and idling while you adjust it.  It takes longer though.

Ain't this fun?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 04/02/13 at 08:25:38

Gyrobob wrote:

Quote:
Another trick for the lazy people like me is to put it at 1.5 turns, drive it around for a few days and see how it works.  
-- Then screw it out .5 turns and drive around for a few more days.
-- Then another half a turn for another few days.  Etc.  
-- After a while you'll find a setting where you and the bike are most happy.  
-- This is not all that silly an idea because you are setting the carb for real world operations, rather than an approximate setting with the motor idling and idling and idling while you adjust it.  It takes longer though.

Amen to that. Plus you get to ride around a lot while yer messin' with the screw.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 04/02/13 at 08:47:57

May I also suggest to not try to adjust the screw while you're riding? I just know there are some who like to multitask.   Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 04/02/13 at 12:39:24

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 04/02/13 at 08:47:57:
May I also suggest to not try to adjust the screw while you're riding? I just know there are some who like to multitask.   Cheesy

Cool idea!!  Solder a knurled knob to the screw so you can reach it and turn it easily.  Wait!!!  Better yet!!,... mount a rotary knob mixture control on the handlebars and a cable just like in a Cessna 150 -- turn the knob and twist the screw!  Then you can futz around with the mixture as easily as flicking on the high beam.  Of course, it'll only make much diff at idle, but what a conversation starter, eh?

« Last Edit: 04/02/13 at 14:42:34 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 04/02/13 at 13:21:24

There are some companies that sells screws that don't require a screwdriver and they make them for installation in common motorcycles - so you can adjust the mixture screw.  I had a Kawasaki Super Sherpa that once you removed the brass anti-tamper knob - the mixture screw was still not accessible unless the carb was off the bike.  The screw was on the bottom of the carb and there was no room between the engine case and mixure screw to get anthing in there to reach the screw.....but you could reach an extended knob.

http://www.koubalink.com/fuelscrew.html

With our carbs there isn't any reason you could not solder on an extension for your fingers.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 04/03/13 at 10:54:42

Step one
Small screwdriver, fingertips only, close the needle & count the turns.
That way, you can always put it back where it was. The tip is soft. Close it softly. Tighten it? NO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 04/04/13 at 17:49:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/03/13 at 10:54:42:
Step one
Small screwdriver, fingertips only, close the needle & count the turns.
That way, you can always put it back where it was. The tip is soft. Close it softly. Tighten it? NO.

JOG did you ever write for Penthouse Forum?   Cheesy    (sorry I'm sleep deprived the boy had me up very early today........slinks away to bed)

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 00:50:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carburetor Air Screw Setting?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.