Send Topic Print
demographics (Read 261 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: demographics
Reply #30 - 03/31/13 at 10:37:42

I don't believe that so you're going to have to prove it.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #31 - 03/31/13 at 11:38:56

WebsterMark wrote on 03/31/13 at 10:37:42:
I don't believe that so you're going to have to prove it.

Oowww geez this again - didn't star or serowbot post this 2-3 months ago. Anyway this didn't take too long to find -

The site:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/dailychart/2011/08/americas-fiscal-union

In that is a color chart by state. Black or dark blue/grey is ones where they send a lot of $$$ and get very little back. NY, CT, NJ, DE, MA, WA, NH, CA and surprise TX.
The red/pink is where they suck $$$ and dont send nothing back. Obviously WV, MS, AL, NM, ND, SD, MT are all the big red states ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 03/31/13 at 13:56:02

Aren't the two states with largest upside down numbers Virginia and Maryland?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 03/31/13 at 17:10:58

WebsterMark wrote on 03/31/13 at 13:56:02:
Aren't the two states with largest upside down numbers Virginia and Maryland?

Not even close - 9th worst and 11th worst. Its the fact that govt employees paychecks in some cases get into the numbers. If you look actually WA., DC is the worst. Possibly the same reason. I guess working for the govt your whole paycheck is a hand out  Cheesy.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 03/31/13 at 17:27:58

am I reading this wrong?

Maryland took in 1,038 billion and spent 1,604 for a difference of 573 billion

Virginia took in 848 and spent 1.441 for a difference of 592 billion.

Aren’t’ these far and away the two largest?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #35 - 03/31/13 at 18:48:48

WebsterMark wrote on 03/31/13 at 17:27:58:
am I reading this wrong?

Maryland took in 1,038 billion and spent 1,604 for a difference of 573 billion

Virginia took in 848 and spent 1.441 for a difference of 592 billion.

Aren’t’ these far and away the two largest?

They dont rank but 9th worst and 11th as a percentage of GDP. That is state GDP. See California had a surplus of 1,849 billion but is 15th or so on the list.
Those numbers in VA and MD are also skewed by the fact that all the Washington DC govt lives there. DE is an anamoly - its the top of that list. Guess the freeloaders live in VA and MD but right over the border DE is all milk and honey. Oooo DE is the headquarters of a lot of banking giants. Some bogus loophole in their tax code lets them charge something - I dont recall now, dont ask me to prove it.

The surprises in that list are nevada - I guess gambling pays off for the feds too, and Michigan and rhode island ? how is that state blue, all I've heard about Michigan is rust and death. Same with RI. Maybe its got worse since 09.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 04/01/13 at 04:45:39

I think my point would be that adding those two together makes up for a lot of those ‘backward’ Red States and secondly, you’d be hard pressed to call either Virginia or Maryland hardcore red or blue states.

I think the original point, which any reasonable person would tend to agree with, is you can’t have demographic shifts and not have corresponding effects elsewhere. If more and more children are born to single households, there will be a change in society. You can’t get around that fact. Good or bad is up to debate, but there will be a change.

Right now, the current administration seems to push policy changes / benefits that make this change easier to deal with. I’d rather see these shifts harder to deal with. Having a baby out of wedlock will never carry the stigma it once did, which is too bad, but at least we shouldn’t increase government safety nets further than they already are. (makes for a handy voter base for democrats come November however….)

Now Sirnath, you should do yourself a favor and shut up on this topic for a couple days and see if a few others will weigh in with their opinions. You comment on practically every single post and honestly, if most people are like me, when they open the tall table up and see your name on every topic, they shut down and go elsewhere. I know I do. Give some people space to breath.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #37 - 04/01/13 at 09:53:33

WebsterMark wrote on 04/01/13 at 04:45:39:
I think my point would be that adding those two together makes up for a lot of those ‘backward’ Red States and secondly, you’d be hard pressed to call either Virginia or Maryland hardcore red or blue states.

I think the original point, which any reasonable person would tend to agree with, is you can’t have demographic shifts and not have corresponding effects elsewhere. If more and more children are born to single households, there will be a change in society. You can’t get around that fact. Good or bad is up to debate, but there will be a change.

And I think the article misses several points, the largest being government mismanagement is driving a lot of the migration and illegal immigration isn't a saving grace.

Quote:
Right now, the current administration seems to push policy changes / benefits that make this change easier to deal with. I’d rather see these shifts harder to deal with.

I've never liked how government likes to get in the way.

Quote:
Having a baby out of wedlock will never carry the stigma it once did, which is too bad, but at least we shouldn’t increase government safety nets further than they already are. (makes for a handy voter base for democrats come November however….)

And there it is, the impetus behind the whole debacle, the "I will give you stuff with other people's money if you vote for me" mentality of government and the "I want what that rich guy has but I don't want to do any of the work or take any of the risk the rich guy did" kind of envy that the welfare recipients are encouraged to believe.

Quote:
Now Sirnath, you should do yourself a favor and shut up on this topic for a couple days and see if a few others will weigh in with their opinions. You comment on practically every single post and honestly, if most people are like me, when they open the tall table up and see your name on every topic, they shut down and go elsewhere. I know I do. Give some people space to breath.

Nuff said.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #38 - 04/01/13 at 20:34:11

WebsterMark wrote on 04/01/13 at 04:45:39:

Right now, the current administration seems to push policy changes / benefits that make this change easier to deal with. I’d rather see these shifts harder to deal with. Having a baby out of wedlock will never carry the stigma it once did, which is too bad, but at least we shouldn’t increase government safety nets further than they already are. (makes for a handy voter base for democrats come November however….)

Not with you 2 windbags re hashing every thing over and over in the hopes that people have forgotten what happened last week. Maybe they see your or Dane allen and say jeez, I dont want to post in this republicon thread ... I may just have a larger stink tolerance.

Anyway Percentage of GDP is what we normalise things to, or per capita, or per sq mile. The reason VA and MD is pink is that our federal govt lives there. WA DC is blood red BTW - I dont know where I saw that. The anamoly is DE. I believe that is cos credit card companies are based there so they can charge interest rates that make your eyes bleed ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 04/02/13 at 19:57:01

guess that answers that...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3