Send Topic Print
demographics (Read 261 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

demographics
03/14/13 at 05:10:59

You can't stop this big ole' wheel from turning once it starts....

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A record number of U.S. counties - more than 1 in 3 - are now dying off, hit by an aging population and weakened local economies that are spurring young adults to seek jobs and build families elsewhere.

New 2012 census estimates released Thursday highlight the population shifts as the U.S. encounters its most sluggish growth levels since the Great Depression.

The findings also reflect the increasing economic importance of foreign-born residents as the U.S. ponders an overhaul of a major 1965 federal immigration law. Without new immigrants, many metropolitan areas such as New York, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and St. Louis would have posted flat or negative population growth in the last year.

"Immigrants are innovators, entrepreneurs, they're making things happen. They create jobs," said Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder, a Republican, at an immigration conference in his state last week. Saying Michigan should be a top destination for legal immigrants to come and boost Detroit and other struggling areas, Snyder made a special appeal: "Please come here."

The growing attention on immigrants is coming mostly from areas of the Midwest and Northeast, which are seeing many of their residents leave after years of staying put during the downturn. With a slowly improving U.S. economy, young adults are now back on the move, departing traditional big cities to test the job market mostly in the South and West, which had sustained the biggest hits in the housing bust.

Census data show that 1,135 of the nation's 3,143 counties are now experiencing "natural decrease," where deaths exceed births. That's up from roughly 880 U.S. counties, or 1 in 4, in 2009. Already apparent in Japan and many European nations, natural decrease is now increasingly evident in large swaths of the U.S., much of it rural.

Despite increasing deaths, the U.S. population as a whole continues to grow, boosted by immigration from abroad and relatively higher births among the mostly younger migrants from Mexico, Latin America and Asia.

"These counties are in a pretty steep downward spiral," said Kenneth Johnson, a senior demographer and sociology professor at the University of New Hampshire, who researched the findings. "The young people leave and the older adults stay in place and age. Unless something dramatic changes - for instance, new development such as a meatpacking plant to attract young Hispanics - these areas are likely to have more and more natural decrease."

The areas of natural decrease stretch from industrial areas near Pittsburgh and Cleveland to the vineyards outside San Francisco to the rural areas of east Texas and the Great Plains. A common theme is a waning local economy, such as farming, mining or industrial areas of the Rust Belt. They also include some retirement communities in Florida, although many are cushioned by a steady flow of new retirees each year.

In the last year, Maine joined West Virginia as the only two entire states where deaths exceed births, which have dropped precipitously after the recent recession. As a nation, the U.S. population grew by just 0.75 percent last year, stuck at historically low levels not seen since 1937.

Johnson said the number of dying counties is rising not only because of fewer births but also increasing mortality as 70 million baby boomers born between 1946 and 1964 move into their older years. "I expect natural decrease to remain high in the future," he said.

Among the 20 fastest-growing large metropolitan areas last year, 16 grew faster than in 2011 and most of them are located in previously growing parts of the Sun Belt or Mountain West. Among the slowest-growing or declining metropolitan areas, most are now doing worse than in 2011 and they are all located in the Northeast and Midwest.

New York ranks tops in new immigrants among large metro areas, but also ranks at the top for young residents moving away.

In contrast, the Texas metropolitan areas of Dallas, Houston and Austin continued to be big draws for young adults, ranking first, second and fourth among large metro areas in domestic migration due to diversified economies that include oil and gas production. Phoenix, Las Vegas and Orlando also saw gains.

By region, growth in the Northeast slowed last year to 0.3 percent, the lowest since 2007; in the Midwest, growth dipped to 0.25 percent, the lowest in at least a decade. In the South and West, growth rates ticked up to 1.1 percent and 1.04 percent, respectively.

"The brakes that were put on migration during the Great Recession appear to be easing up," said William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution who analyzed the migration data. "Native migrants are becoming more `footloose' - following the geographic ups and downs of the labor market - than are immigrants, who have tended to locate in established ethnic communities in big cities."

"Immigration levels are not where they were a decade ago, but their recent uptick demonstrates the important safety valve they can be for areas with stagnating populations," he said.

Mark Mather, an associate vice president at the Population Reference Bureau, noted that political efforts to downsize government and reduce federal spending could also have a significant impact on future population winners and losers.

Since 2010, many of the fastest-growing U.S. metro areas have also been those that historically received a lot of federal dollars, including Fort Stewart, Ga., Jacksonville, N.C., Crestview, Fla., and Charleston-North Charleston, S.C., all home to military bases. Per-capita federal spending rose from about $5,300 among the fastest-growing metros from 2000 to 2010, to about $8,200 among the fastest-growing metros from 2011 to 2012.

"Federal funding has helped many cities weather the decline in private sector jobs," Mather said.

Other findings:

-Roughly 46 percent of rural counties just beyond the edge of metropolitan areas experienced natural decrease, compared to 17 percent of urban counties.

-As a whole, the population of non-metropolitan areas last year declined by 0.1 percent, compared with growth of 1 percent for large metro areas and 0.7 percent for small metropolitan areas.

-In the last year, four metro areas reached population milestones: Los Angeles hit 13 million, Philadelphia reached 6 million, Las Vegas crossed 2 million and Grand Rapids, Mich., passed 1 million.

-Chattahoochee County, Ga., home to Fort Benning, was the nation's fastest-growing county, increasing 10.1 percent in the last year.

The census estimates are based on local records of births and deaths, Internal Revenue Service records of people moving within the United States and census statistics on immigrants.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Re: demographics
Reply #1 - 03/27/13 at 17:19:57

I want to read this over a couple more times before I dig in to it but it seems kinda Schizophrenic to me in that one section will say how the young are following the economy, which is great in conservative regions and yet the liberal regions need all these immigrants to replace the people they chased away with their failed liberal policies.

The article seems to be pushing the pro-illegal alien perspective while simultaneously undercutting it's own argument. Better stop here and go back over it, there is a lot of meat in there  Grin

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/27/13 at 18:45:16

WAIT! Do NOT go in there unprepared! I recommend toothpicks & dental floss be packed in your away bag before launching this expedition..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #3 - 03/27/13 at 19:33:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/27/13 at 18:45:16:
WAIT! Do NOT go in there unprepared! I recommend toothpicks & dental floss be packed in your away bag before launching this expedition..

Grin Grin Grin

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 03/28/13 at 07:34:44

Younger adults today are just more mobile.  Perhaps the ease, and relatively low cost of transportation may have something to do with it.
I grew up in Columbus, OH.  After college, and returning from the Army, I came back home to attend law school, and have stayed in the Columbus area all of my life.  I often say that had I known at age 25 what I know now, I'd have settled in California, Texas, or maybe Arizona.

But back then in the early 1970s, when airline fares were very expensive, had I left Ohio, I would have seen my family maybe once every 2 or 3 years; not 2 or 3 times a year like people can do now.  With today's cheap airfares, especially if purchased well in advance of a trip, ordinary people look at a trip across the country like we looked at a trip from one state away from home back 40 years ago.

Why would an educated young adult today want to stay in some urban area where employment is declining, the weather is horrible 1/2 of the year, and there seems to be few prospects for better times when a sunny climate and great economy, like Texas for instance, is very attractive?

Just a thought to explain migration, and population migration has almost always followed to where the jobs are, and life looks a lot better.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #5 - 03/28/13 at 08:24:47

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/28/13 at 07:34:44:
Younger adults today are just more mobile.  Perhaps the ease, and relatively low cost of transportation may have something to do with it.
I grew up in Columbus, OH.  After college, and returning from the Army, I came back home to attend law school, and have stayed in the Columbus area all of my life.  I often say that had I known at age 25 what I know now, I'd have settled in California, Texas, or maybe Arizona.

But back then in the early 1970s, when airline fares were very expensive, had I left Ohio, I would have seen my family maybe once every 2 or 3 years; not 2 or 3 times a year like people can do now.  With today's cheap airfares, especially if purchased well in advance of a trip, ordinary people look at a trip across the country like we looked at a trip from one state away from home back 40 years ago.

Why would an educated young adult today want to stay in some urban area where employment is declining, the weather is horrible 1/2 of the year, and there seems to be few prospects for better times when a sunny climate and great economy, like Texas for instance, is very attractive?

Just a thought to explain migration, and population migration has almost always followed to where the jobs are, and life looks a lot better.

That is an excellent point at the end there about people following jobs and a better life. Southern California has great weather, coastal attractions, amusements and an established retail environment but people have been clawing their way out of California for at least three years now and the reason is government mismanagement, high taxes and fees and job scarcity.

What bothers me is that liberals believe that to solve this problem they just need to bring in more illegal aliens, first to take the jobs that "nobady wants" and now to live in the places "nobody wants" to live. The state is collapsing and Texas is booming and it is clear as day as to why.

I have a great job but I am always reminded how at risk it is and am living day to day under the attituded that I am blessed to have a job at all so I better not complain about anything. We are laying off about 20% of our workforce so maybe I could be next.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 03/28/13 at 08:53:54

Dane,
       Change Southern California to New York in your post, and leave out the part about the nice weather, and you're talking about where I live.

My son actually stayed here when he graduated from college (Got a terriffic job) but he talks about leaving all the time. The north west corner of NY is WAY better than the rest of the state right now, but it's slowly sliding into the abyss of Albany and NYC.

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #7 - 03/28/13 at 09:38:13

oldNslow wrote on 03/28/13 at 08:53:54:
Dane,
       Change Southern California to New York in your post, and leave out the part about the nice weather, and you're talking about where I live.

My son actually stayed here when he graduated from college (Got a terriffic job) but he talks about leaving all the time. The north west corner of NY is WAY better than the rest of the state right now, but it's slowly sliding into the abyss of Albany and NYC.

That is really too bad and after reading this it sparked a thought on what Jerry said earlier about "Young adults today are just more mobile". I think people have always been mobile, it is the incentive to exercise that mobility that changes over time and by circumstance.

I like to see new places and have lived in Washington, Nevada and California and I would love to experience Texas as I would some other States but I had no real reason to do so until now. I am to the point that if I get laid off from my current job I won't even bother looking for work in California.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/28/13 at 11:07:21

It would probably be the kick I need to leave CT.
...but this is my home. I know these roads...
Or if they pass any silly 2nd amendment encroaching bills.

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 03/28/13 at 13:07:00

Dane Allen wrote on 03/28/13 at 08:24:47:
That is an excellent point at the end there about people following jobs and a better life. Southern California has great weather, coastal attractions, amusements and an established retail environment but people have been clawing their way out of California for at least three years now and the reason is government mismanagement, high taxes and fees and job scarcity.

What bothers me is that liberals believe that to solve this problem they just need to bring in more illegal aliens, first to take the jobs that "nobady wants" and now to live in the places "nobody wants" to live. The state is collapsing and Texas is booming and it is clear as day as to why.

I have a great job but I am always reminded how at risk it is and am living day to day under the attituded that I am blessed to have a job at all so I better not complain about anything. We are laying off about 20% of our workforce so maybe I could be next.

Yea, except texas is none of those things, and man is it even worse off to be filled with illegals. I've lived in both states CA and TX, TX has way more illegals as a percentage. Nothing is right with texas that is wrong with CA ... except, the oil boom has benifitted TX and they have been able to glaze over all the issues.

BTW lots of west texas towns are into wind power of late. East texas is oil. Houston (where I lived) is a split town. East houston is a forest, west is a desert, the ship channel is really bad for people with breathing problems. Commutes in Houston will rival the worst of CA mile for mile, and motorcycles dont help, cos you cant lane split. You can use the HOV center lane, just follow a bus.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/28/13 at 13:19:29

As usual, sri hasnt a clue. Texas population is growing as the people abandon the "Liberal Utopias" that have been decimated by the lefty lawmaking,Sadly, theyre bringing the philosophy that destroyed their home with them., OUr taxes are more business friendly, so we are seeing growth in areas other than just oilfield. Longview constantly amazes me. Driving around, construction, construction.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #11 - 03/28/13 at 13:29:36

JOG -
I noticed that he doesn't know, but I've quit responding to him as it's pointless.
Dallas is also booming - I was there all last week.  Every high class restaurant to which we went with clients was full.
Dallas may well be my favorite city, but for the heat for the 3 hot months of the summer.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 03/28/13 at 13:48:31

Im waiting for his reply to a post someone else made. Should he fail to provide links to facts that support his claims I will cease to even REad his posts & should he reply to a post I will not respond. He will soon become 100% invisible to me unless he mans up & shows some actual facts that his claims & opinions are based on. Sadly, IM sure the NRA has managed to eliminate from the WWW all supporting documentation that he would otherwise provide.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 03/28/13 at 14:03:54

Texas is a great state for illegal Mexicans ,they get a free collage education.They don't worry about the people who have paid taxes for years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 03/28/13 at 16:32:12

Free? REally, Bill? Care to show that one? I will agree that they get In State costs on tuition,, but FREE? If the education you speak of is being taught enough to pass the GED & enough English to pass the citizenship test,, ehh,, I dont care,, let them,, If someone will assimilate I welcome them. If theyre here to plop out babies & get a welfare check, they can leave,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 15:10:49

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › demographics

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.