Send Topic Print
new bike (Read 99 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new bike
03/11/13 at 10:02:11

i posted this on the Cafe but most of my time is spent at the tall table so thought i'd repost here.

Traded in my 2007 white S40 for a 2001 BMW R1100RT. Needless to say, about the only thing they have in common is two wheels and a seat….

Some background; I rode a Yamaha XS650 all through college and logged a lot of interstate miles. Back then, no one knew you needed heated grips, air seats, integrated hard case bags, electric windshields and a host of other bells and whistles. You just got on, strapped on a ¾ helmet and road couple hundred miles.

I put away street bikes for the next 20 years or so (still rode and raced dirt bikes however) until 4 years ago when I stopped in a Suzuki dealer and bought the Savage when gas hit $4.00 gallon. I’ve not ridden any other rode bikes other than that XS650 or the Savage for the past 20 years.  

Now I’ve bought this BMW. It’s like night and day. It feels like I’m riding around town while sitting on my couch. I think I could read a newspaper there is such little wind with the windshield fully extended while on the highway. I’ve heard of people falling asleep on long interstate rides and I can understand why.

I can tell I’ll miss being able to toss the Savage around any direction I want to go in the blink of an eye. I realize now that I never thought about the actual process of riding while on the Savage, I just did it. Sort of like walking down the street.  

With this BMW, you have to plan out parking, slow turns, etc….it’s a big bike with the saddlebags and top case on. However, I can load up enough stuff and take some 1000 mile rides. I want to see if I like that as much as I think I will. If so, this was a great buy. If not, I’ll keep it this summer and then see how the new Honda CB1100 goes over and maybe switch out over the winter.

I will also say from what I’ve seen of the BMW forums so far, they can’t hold a candle to suzukisavage.com

The technical know-how of the people on here is nothing short of amazing. Forums like this is why some companies now have cut back their technical support groups and simply refer people to forums because they’ve realized that, collectively, the men and women on forums like this have forgotten more about this bike than the manufacturers and engineers knew in the first place!

If (when) the Zombie Apocalypse hits, it’s the people who post those amazing technical pieces on here,  discovered and worked out themselves in garages and basements across the globe, who will rule the earth!

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: new bike
Reply #1 - 03/11/13 at 10:51:13

Congrats and many happy miles. Hope you stay on the forum.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 03/11/13 at 11:12:52

Huh,.. speaking of BMW's and zombie apocalypse...
Looks like you're all set..  Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/11/13 at 11:18:19

is this where i make a joke about riding me or vice versa?.....

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 03/11/13 at 11:35:59

No this is where I make the joke like this ...

Webby, I thought you had a BMW already. Well better now than never.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 03/11/13 at 13:25:00

I've never ridden a BMW motorcycle, but I drove BMW cars for 20 years, 3 of them myself and the wife had 2.  They are the finest cars made.
Unfortunately, a few years ago BMW went to those darn run flat tires for its cars, and the cars now have no place to even put a spare tire.  Since I drive a lot, and have many trips out in the boonies, and since a run flat is good for only about 100 miles after it loses its air, the idea of run flats didn't appeal to me.  Plus, they are horribly expensive to replace and last only about 30,000 miles in normal service.
So, I bought a C300 Mercedes 2 years ago, so I could still get a manual transmission and the C class was the only MB imported with a manual.
Now I know why people say, "BMW makes motorcycles, while Mercedes makes trucks and buses".

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/11/13 at 15:48:41

I got ride of a 5 speed Sonoma pickup a few years ago and replaced it with a Silverado and I quickly realized how much i missed a manual. I wish Ford would take the Escape platform and make a small pickup again like the Ranger. I can't believe it wouldn't sell.

Now I know why people say, "BMW makes motorcycles, while Mercedes makes trucks and buses".

There are a million Mercedes small trucks running around Europe, that's for sure.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 03/11/13 at 15:51:44

I call that C300 my "German Buick".  Sure wish I had a 3 series BMW again, regardless of the run flats.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/11/13 at 16:00:13

The carbon fiber company I worked at was loaded with BMW drivers. Seemed like it was a rite of passage for the younger guys. Get promoted and you had to spend that extra money on a BMW. I will say, they are pretty bitchin' to drive when you crank 'em up a bit....

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - 03/11/13 at 16:05:37

I liked my several 3 series for the mileage, and the crashworthiness, and general reliability.  I would consistently drive them 150K miles, and not even change brake pads, let alone the rotors.  Of course, they were manuals, and I know how to drive.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/11/13 at 17:15:06

Best car I ever had; Triumph Spitfire.
worst car I ever had; Triumph Spitfire....

if you had one, you probably know what I mean...

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 03/12/13 at 06:48:45

I've owned 3 spitfires, a 79, a 75 and a parts 72. The car wont make my best owned. It may make the worst. I never had much problems with the 79. Traded a ninja 600 in 93 for it. I sold it a bit later. Then in 96 I bought the 75. Apart from a leaky gas tank, I had good luck with it too. Sold it and over a few months after that sold the parts off the 72.

My favorite cars of that 60/70 vintage have been vw's. Bugs, things, Karmann Ghias etc.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 14:04:06

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › new bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.