Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Budget Cuts? How hard can it be?... (Read 916 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Budget Cuts? How hard can it be?...
Reply #60 - 03/04/13 at 15:26:10

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/04/13 at 15:13:21:
Srinath -

You are showing ignorance agian.  The housing bubble was a direct result of the Community Improvement Act, a Clinton era piece of legislation that required lenders to make loans to people who couldn not repay them, in a mis-guided effort to spread home ownership to those who can not afford it.
Please get your history and your facts straight before you just spout off at the mouth, or better put in this context, spout off with your fingers on a keyboard.

Right right right ... and yet you want Obama and Biden to walk ... when you didn't want bush or cheney to ?

And no Clinton changed the capital gains laws so you can flip a house and pay 15% taxes on it. That whole "home ownership society" was bush's idea.

And Jerry - Stop accusing people of doing things they may not be doing. Did I say you did this or that ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #61 - 03/04/13 at 15:41:04

When ignorance or ignoring facts are rampant, I will point it out.  You Dems blast out with uncategorical statrements that are not founded in fact.  Not to point it out, and to allow you to blame those not at fault is hyprocrisy.
I've never castigated Clinton.  For a Dem, he was a decent guy ( morals aside). At least he had a practical approach to a lot of things.
The difference with Obama is that Bammy has no real experience running anything prior to being POTUS, not even a kid's lemonade stand.
Bammy has a high intellect, but no practical experience.  Kinda like the guy in medical school who graduated first in his class - do you want to be the very first open heart surgery patient he has?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #62 - 03/04/13 at 15:46:59

Bush OTOH had plenty of experience running things ... into the ground.
Cheney was president though, and he had plenty of experience running things right into his pocket ...

These 2 were crooks, and when they were not, they were utter failures.
Obama is being throttled by the republicons. He's not allowed to run anything past his first 2 years.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #63 - 03/04/13 at 15:59:50

What I see as a major problem is that common folks, like you and I, have lost respect for those who succeed in business and in politics.
Instead of admiring people like Cheney who serve the country after bringing private business success to the table, you choose to hate them.
Unfortunately, your attitute will result in our country being run by people of mediocre accomplishments.
Look at our founding fathers - all were wealthy men who proved themselves first in business, and then went on to serve their country.  America's business is business, and what's good for business is good for America.
Otherwise, you lower yourself, and our country to the success level of the mediocre and below.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 03/04/13 at 17:59:06

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/04/13 at 15:59:50:
What I see as a major problem is that common folks, like you and I, have lost respect for those who succeed in business and in politics.
Instead of admiring people like Cheney who serve the country after bringing private business success to the table, you choose to hate them.
Unfortunately, your attitute will result in our country being run by people of mediocre accomplishments.
Look at our founding fathers - all were wealthy men who proved themselves first in business, and then went on to serve their country.  America's business is business, and what's good for business is good for America.
Otherwise, you lower yourself, and our country to the success level of the mediocre and below.

"what's good for business is good for America."

that's hard for me to swallow, that's also a very interpretive phrase.
I do not despise or hate business people or successful people. I don't I swear I don't

is competition good for business???  I know Telecoms would say no.

paying low labor rates is good for business right? (jobs move overseas)

etc. . .

also the statement seems to imply that Americans should be subservient to businesses and give businesses everything they want, which the rebel in me just makes me want to slap you for even saying that.   Tongue

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #65 - 03/05/13 at 08:11:42

LA -

I just get really incensed when successful people are referred to as crooks, liars, or whatever by others who have no idea what they are talking about.
At one time, success was admired - now many common folks think it's "cool" to denegrate success.  Success isn't an accident, it's a product of how one lives his life and the choices he makes.
I don't call someone a name because he prizes his personal time, works a 40 hour per week job, or maybe less, and chooses a lifestyle that may not be as "hign on the hog" as I would like.  That's his right.
But when this same person then goes on the attack against successful business people, calls them crooks when he has no real first hand knowledge of anything about them, it gets my dander up.
There is a great saying about entreprenuers and corporate leaders - these are people who work 80 hours per week for themselves so that they don't have to work 40 hours per week for someone else.
We'd all be better off if people would once again admire, and aspire, to success rather than smugly insulting those who had made success their choice in life.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #66 - 03/05/13 at 08:22:23

There is as always good ways to do business and bad.
Cheney did nearly all bad.

I dont neccesarily resent success ... but there is a line that separates success cos your ideas or products are worthwhile and people use them, or you're manipulating your own size to be a predator.

Google started out being a innovator and leader. They have since started to scroogle people and evade taxes by going to a double dutch irish sandwich.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #67 - 03/05/13 at 08:29:14

I had to do a little refresher to be accurate -
Halliburton was awarded a huge contract by Cheney as defence secretary in 91. Then after Cheney left politics, he was put in as CEO of Halliburton in 95. Ofcourse Cheney became VP in 2000, after which he funneled a lot of $$$ into halliburton via no bid contracts, all of which were very lucrative for him being still a shareholder of halliburton.

Once again, its not me who's unaware of the facts JE.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #68 - 03/05/13 at 08:30:24

Nothing wrong with those facts.  I admire him and them.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #69 - 03/05/13 at 08:38:11

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/05/13 at 08:30:24:

You could of course that's your right, but others would call him a crook.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #70 - 03/05/13 at 08:43:59

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/05/13 at 08:30:24:

This little tidbit shouldn't phase you one bit then -

The Wall Street Journal reported in 2001 that a subsidiary of Halliburton Energy Services called Halliburton Products and Services Ltd. (HPS) opened an office in Tehran. The company, HPS, operated on the ninth floor of a new north Tehran tower block. Although HPS was incorporated in the Cayman Islands in 1975 and is "non-American", it shares both the logo and name of Halliburton Energy Services and, according to Dow Jones Newswires, offers services from Halliburton units worldwide through its Tehran office. Such behavior, undertaken while Cheney was CEO of Halliburton, may have violated the Trading with the Enemy Act. A Halliburton spokesman, responding to inquiries from Dow Jones, said "This is not breaking any laws. This is a foreign subsidiary and no U.S. person is involved in this. No U.S. person is facilitating any transaction. We are not performing directly in that country." Later Dave Lesar would book his own flights to the Tehran office through the UK arm of KBR. No legal action has been taken against the company or its officials.[26]

Yes its all about being hardworking and success ...

Read more about it -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halliburton

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 03/05/13 at 09:11:02

I would consider him a crook as well.
I have admiration for those who have "made it" and succeeded in life but, and I know I've said this in another thread before, we're at a point where we are not in a free market where people can grow and develop. No longer are we striving towards the next, latest and greatest thing but companies are trying to keep the every-man down.

Cheney made a ton of money through Halliburton and no bid contracts.

How did anyone else even stand a chance if the game was rigged?

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #72 - 03/05/13 at 09:22:14

LostArtist wrote on 03/04/13 at 17:59:06:
Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 03/04/13 at 15:59:50:

"what's good for business is good for America."

that's hard for me to swallow, that's also a very interpretive phrase.
I do not despise or hate business people or successful people. I don't I swear I don't

is competition good for business???  I know Telecoms would say no.

paying low labor rates is good for business right? (jobs move overseas)

etc. . .

also the statement seems to imply that Americans should be subservient to businesses and give businesses everything they want, which the rebel in me just makes me want to slap you for even saying that.   Tongue

Good to have some help on this topic LA.
The instant you say something against one of the corporate raiders you get slapped with "The founding fathers were wealthy and good as presidents" ... forgetting that they owned slaves and they were all huge landowners and they used the government to help their wealth. Crony capitalism mixed in with some self preservation with a slice of individualism and religion thrown in.

I actually would think a democracy based on a lottery would work better than an election. It oughta be like jury duty. Your name if its pulled up, you are to work in the task/position you have been made to fill (be it governor, be it senator or president) Once you finish that term, you leave and return to your old life till you're called up to do some other task for the govt. That has to be better than a career politician working his way up the ladder making many "friends" along the way ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #73 - 03/05/13 at 09:25:07

Paraquat wrote on 03/05/13 at 09:11:02:
I would consider him a crook as well.
I have admiration for those who have "made it" and succeeded in life but, and I know I've said this in another thread before, we're at a point where we are not in a free market where people can grow and develop. No longer are we striving towards the next, latest and greatest thing but companies are trying to keep the every-man down.

Cheney made a ton of money through Halliburton and no bid contracts.

How did anyone else even stand a chance if the game was rigged?

--Steve

You know what else is funny ... Cheney was a disaster to Haliburton as CEO ... Not only was he a crook, he also was incompetent.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 03/05/13 at 10:29:26

Srinath,

this is business in America, using money to get political favors and legislation passed and anything else has been a tradition since U.S. Grant was president. Obama is doing it too I'm sure.

Jerry,

I think the nature of "success" has changed, it used to be you worked hard, did right by your customers and got ahead. now with money being made much much easier via investment rather than actual work, scheming has become integral into "success" it's no longer based on doing the right thing or making the better mousetrap, it's now more about reducing costs rather than innovation. and successful people can be assholes just as easy as the hick down the street so I don't want to blanket praise on all successful people like they all should be lumped together and put up on a pedestal. Also since I wouldn't consider myself successful I feel I am often judged by those who are, this my be a problem I'm imagining in my head, but being 34 and not making 30K a year but still living within my means I often feel like a loser for that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 00:05:01

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Budget Cuts? How hard can it be?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.