Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reduced riding concerns.... (Read 141 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reduced riding concerns....
01/13/13 at 17:16:37

Well I haven't ridden my bike since 02 JAN 13 and that is the longest she has ever set. I don't see any riding this coming week either, as the cold looks to be sitting tight, and ice, both visible and black, is all around me. She is undercover out in the shed, out of the elements, and covered as well, but not heated. I do expect to jump on her the moment we stay above 40, which could be the following week...
Is there anything I should do, or be concerned about? Should I start her and let her warm up?

Thanks...   Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Reduced riding concerns....
Reply #1 - 01/13/13 at 17:28:08

If it were me, I'd just leave it be for now.

Also, I'm not sure if the fuel tank is topped off, but I'd try to do so whenever you anticipate a cold snap coming on.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #2 - 01/13/13 at 17:48:45

move to florida. would be my solution. im in sarasota ill be able to ride my every day of the year once i get the motor back together.. sorry not trying to rub it in. it was almost 90 degrees today.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #3 - 01/13/13 at 18:49:04

If you are not full on fuel, the air pocket can invite condensation wit the rapid temp changes.  That means water.  Whenever I think I am going to sit up for more than 2 weeks, I add a bit of SeaFoam.  It is a cleanser, but also absorbs a bit of water.  Stabil Marine is also good.  (Regular Stabil is no good with ethanol that is in all gas now...)

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 01/13/13 at 19:10:57

How close to the Sound are you? Any chance of salt air sneaking into the shed or under the cover? Only reason I ask is I bought mine on the Gulf Coast and within 2 months the salt air had eaten a lot of chrome and clear anodizing. I'm still finding chalky aluminum and I moved from there in July 99. It also can play havoc with electrical fittings, particularly the small copper contacts in the switch boxes. A week or two shouldn't be a problem, but any longer than that and you may need to some some corrosion proofing.

Like stated above, make sure the fuel tank is full. Just a couple weeks or so no additives are needed. Longer than a couple months take an outboard motor tank to the marina and buy some real gas. They don't need to know what it is really for... Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 01/13/13 at 19:54:48

I live in a waterfront community, but up high enough (bluff) where the saltwater (spray) does not reach me. Some homes, only feet from the water, suffer greatly from the salt corrosion. Our humidity is almost nil, so evaporation I don't think is a problem. I haven't noticed any ill effect from it on my vehicles...now moss, thats anudder story   Undecided

I will tank up, I already use seafoam once a month, or so...BUT, I hear round here it doan work none too good no hows, sorta like that fancy designer oil ya get in Beverly Hills  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 01/13/13 at 19:57:23

mikey2004 wrote on 01/13/13 at 17:48:45:
move to florida. would be my solution. im in sarasota ill be able to ride my every day of the year once i get the motor back together.. sorry not trying to rub it in. it was almost 90 degrees today.

Well I might consider such, well, that is if I had enuff chad to hang  Huh

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 01/13/13 at 20:31:08

I use to make a lot of container runs from T5 in Seattle to the Trident Seafoods plant in Anacortes. You're what, Oak Harbor or further down the island? I'd guess you take the ferry to Mukilteo for work? Or Edmonds?

I picked up more salt on the Peterbilt crossing "the rockpile" on I-90 (Snoqualmie Pass) than I ever did on runs to Anacortes, Ilwaco, etc.

My place on the coast was a block and a half off the beach, at about 8 feet in elevation. Our place here is the highest point in the county and we're only at about 410' above sea level. But... 400 miles from our vacation place on the bayous. No salt, lots of acidic bugs.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 01/13/13 at 20:50:58

I'm out on Cultus Bay, the southwest end of the island. I can see Seattle, the Kitsap and Olympic Peninsula from where I live. I get a good southwest winter sun exposure, and that helps a lot. I indeed take the Clinton/Mulkiteo run.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 01/14/13 at 08:57:00

raydawg wrote on 01/13/13 at 17:16:37:
Well I haven't ridden my bike since 02 JAN ...

About the only thing I would be worried was the battery.  If it is a standard flooded battery I would run it about every other 2 weeks, for about 5 minutes to recharge the battery.  If you have an AGM battery it can sit for 3 months easy.

WWW   IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #10 - 01/14/13 at 10:45:22

I've never had an issue with my batteries over winter...5 bikes and 4 cars sit till spring.  The cars and bikes I top off and disconnect the POS battery lead.  On the bikes I also run the float bowls dry.  Just run some Seafoam on the first tank full.

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 05:23:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reduced riding concerns....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.