Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is this, and do I need it? (Read 186 times)
Dave-Aus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What is this, and do I need it?
01/12/13 at 18:12:13

I haven't seen this other savages

From my very basic knowledge it looks like it may adjust the steering stiffness ? Do I really need it?

image_042.jpg
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: What is this, and do I need it?
Reply #1 - 01/12/13 at 18:25:05

That would be a steering damper.   It's an aftermarket add-on that the previous owner put on the bike before you bought it.  Do you need it? not really, but it might help out some on stability on the superslab especially when passing or passed by big rigs.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/12/13 at 18:28:00

That's exactly right! It's a Steering damper!
And if you don't want it, I might just buy it from you; with the brackets etc. I've been thinking about mounting one of those on my Savage roadster eventually...

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #3 - 01/12/13 at 18:37:16

Looks to be an adjustable one at that. You turn the knurled knob on the shaft for more or less damping

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/12/13 at 19:14:15

YOu wont really know if you need it or not till ya take it off & go running thru the fastest sweepers youve learned to enjoy. Or, maybe hit some O that grooved cement..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 01/12/13 at 21:37:46

How is it mounted on the triple tree? Is there an additional hole drilled to mount it?

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #6 - 01/12/13 at 22:07:17

it seems to me damper is attached to the bolt mounting clamps for the brake hose is on the lower triangle... or no?

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #7 - 01/13/13 at 04:52:47

On a cruiser thats just extra weight/bulk (small, but extra) and not needed. It's a sport/cafe bike item.

If you watch the sport bike FAIL videos of average riders doing full throttle runs, the major factor is wheel shimmy which the damper is suppose to control (but usually not once it starts). I suppose it takes some of the lashing back and forth out, but still a high speed item.

It's no better than a good grip and handlebar control at cruising speeds. best thing to do when dealing with Big rigs is to give them room and move away. A steering damper won't save you from being blown off the road or pushed into another lane.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 01/13/13 at 15:33:37

I'd use a fork brace before a steering damper.  The fork brace fixes (eliminates) the problem,... keeps it from happening.  A steering damper tries to continually suppress the problem.  Often a steering damper can make the steering feel less than nimble.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 01/13/13 at 15:49:12

rat907 wrote on 01/13/13 at 04:52:47:
It's no better than a good grip and handlebar control at cruising speeds. best thing to do when dealing with Big rigs is to give them room and move away. A steering damper won't save you from being blown off the road or pushed into another lane.

I guess I should have been more specific when I was talking about it helping with the big rigs or larger vehicles passing you.  If you have one of the large windshields like I do, when they pass you it's not so much of a blow you off the road or into another lane issue, but more of a sudden shimmy some times that it imparts when your at speeds of 70mph+  Granted it doesn't last long but I'm sure one of those dampers would help.  Though myself I don't think I would want one due to the fact it would most likely take away from some of the savages nimbleness when in the twisties due to the extra effort required to overcome the steering damper itself.

I will also have to agree with GyroBob and say that a fork brace would be much more suitable for use on the Savage then a steering damper would be.

Steering dampers are most useful on bikes where the rake and trail are set to a point that the bike is right on the edge of unstable so that they are much more nimble, such as sport bike and off road bikes.  They are also very useful on those bikes do to the fact that wheelies are so easy and common so that when you touch the front end back down if your front wheel is turned some it won't jerk the bars out of your hands.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #10 - 01/14/13 at 08:42:56

I have no problem around big trucks with my 2001 Savage...If you are getting a wobble when near these trucks two things can cause this...loose steering head bearings and loose swing arm bearings...check both and adjust or replace as necessary and you should not have any more problems.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #11 - 01/14/13 at 08:49:00

That is a steering stabilizer...you should not need one on your Savage....I have no problem around big trucks with my 2001 Savage...If you are getting a wobble when near these trucks two things can cause this...loose steering head bearings and loose swing arm bearings...check both and adjust or replace as necessary and you should not have any more problems.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 02:47:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is this, and do I need it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.