Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fastest Savage (Read 688 times)
beacon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fastest Savage
01/09/13 at 19:37:56

What is the fastest a 650 Savage (not a bored out 700+) has ever gone?
I've got an old one and thinking of working on it to bring along with my other bikes to this summer's timing runs. The stock bike struggles to get past 85, which is embarrassing for a 650. With better cams, improved compression, etc. 100 should be possible. Anyone tried it?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Fastest Savage
Reply #1 - 01/09/13 at 22:53:57

Assuming you have a five speed, check Serowbots post, gear/speed graph for a five speed Savage on page 3 of the tech section. It is theoretically possible without extensive mods.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/10/13 at 00:39:32

100 mph is possible on a long down hill run even with a stock bike if you tuck in good.

Pulling 100 up a hill isn't.

Modified cam belt drive bikes like mine will pull 90 mph in 4th gear very quickly, but it bogs down when shifted to 5th gear and will not break 100 in 5th.

There are lots of bikes that are better performance bikes than a Savage.  Example, I had a SV650 that would break 120 mph just going down the exit ramp to get on to the interstate, literally as fast as you could shift through the gears.

Take the Savage to the mountains where it belongs.  85 mph is the HIGHEST MOUNTAIN SPEED I have ever used, ever.  The Savage uses its torque to blast out of turns and will outrun just about any Harley up there.

The 600cc Jap sports bikes will eat you alive every time, but you get used to it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/10/13 at 07:44:05

Stock engine, supertrapp, K&N and a edelbrock quick silver.
You'll need a raptorcock.

95 going uphill before traffic made me back off at the bottom third of the hill.
similar setup w/stock carb (rejetted of course) 88 at the top of the hill.
The run starts at 70 at the bottom of the hill.

40mm carbs are great for speed, just don't do well on gas mileage and around town.

WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 01/10/13 at 08:12:33

It amazes me how quickly the power band drops off on a basicly stock Savage. Not long after I got my 96 I was in traffic on I-71 going to work one morning. Not looking at my speed,just rolling along with the flow when I had to roll out to the left lane and pass a line of trucks starting uphill. When I got to the top I glance at the speedo and it indicated just over 90mph  Shocked . It seemed like it got there in a flash but that was it! Nothing left in the boiler!

Note my scooter does have a Dunhill style exhaust and jet upgrade,nothing else I know of,but it also has a Memphis Shades Slim windshield which adds some drag. Also running the stock size rear tire so the speedo is likely off a few clicks too!

That's my experience for what it's worth!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #5 - 01/10/13 at 09:52:50

I just did the Dyna muffler, K&N filter, Raptor , and rejetting mods to my 05 S40 and even though I am still working in tunning it (lots of pops) the bike gets to 92 mph in no time. Could it go more? I'll bet it will but, I don't want to find that out yet...it cruises at 80mph very easy and very smooth. I could never get to 80mph with the stock settings
I am happy with its performance, it is a cruiser, not a speed demon.

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #6 - 01/10/13 at 10:08:09

If speed is what you are after why are you riding a Savage?  Or any cruiser for that matter?  The Savage is what it is; a simple, classic cruiser made for just gettin' out there and simply riding.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 01/10/13 at 10:34:20

prsavage wrote on 01/10/13 at 10:08:09:
If speed is what you are after why are you riding a Savage?  Or any cruiser for that matter?  The Savage is what it is; a simple, classic cruiser made for just gettin' out there and simply riding.

That's true pr but it's human nature to see what the maximun performance you can get out of anything.

As for my example on I-71,that was just something that happened. I normally run the Interstates at 70-75mph.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 01/10/13 at 17:26:30

I agree with OF about being in the mountains. That bike is hard to beat in the fun department there. It is amazingly nimble and quick in the corners uphill. Those fat Hurleys with the floorboards instead pegs are easily smoked. Of course no competition for the sports bikes, but that don't matter to me. It's good enough.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/10/13 at 18:06:11

These bikes Are what "Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" was aimed at. Its got enough engine to run past the frame design & suspensions capabilities in a corner. Ive been in long sweepers where it starts feeling like Im astride of a drunken rubber cow. The bike keeps me from getting in over my head. One of those "Race Bike Technology" 600CC Ninjas would be inviting me to go faster. I would reach My limits long before the bike reached its limits of ability,.Id get killed..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #10 - 01/10/13 at 18:24:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:06:11:
been in long sweepers where it starts feeling like Im astride of a drunken rubber cow..

I know that feeling, but I never knew the technical term for it until now! Grin Grin Grin

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #11 - 01/10/13 at 18:26:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/13 at 18:06:11:
These bikes Are what "Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" was aimed at. Its got enough engine to run past the frame design & suspensions capabilities in a corner. Ive been in long sweepers where it starts feeling like Im astride of a drunken rubber cow. The bike keeps me from getting in over my head. One of those "Race Bike Technology" 600CC Ninjas would be inviting me to go faster. I would reach My limits long before the bike reached its limits of ability,.Id get killed..

Good point JOG! I also have an old Kawasaki( Roll Eyes Huh Shocked Grin blasphemey you say?) KZ440 LTD. Even though it's a smaller engine it will run the Savage into the ground in the twisties (better chassis design,six speeds and a redline of 9500 rpm)until I hit the grades and the Savage torque comes into play.

Either one of them is way more enjoyment than a Hurley or liter+ bike.  Goes back to useable hp for the roads we run.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 01/10/13 at 19:28:35

And another point, if I may? The rake is about 32 degrees or so with about what, 5 inches of trail. I'm guessing from memory. Point being the Savage should not turn around in a football field (Futbol for our foreign viewers) compared to the straight up rake and short trail of something like a Hyabusa. But it does with ease.  Smiley And I've seen slightly over 95 with the stock tire 140/80-H15 IRC with a Spitfire windshield.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 01/10/13 at 19:39:25

verslagen1 wrote on 01/10/13 at 07:44:05:
Stock engine, supertrapp, K&N and a edelbrock quick silver.
You'll need a raptorcock.

95 going uphill before traffic made me back off at the bottom third of the hill.
similar setup w/stock carb (rejetted of course) 88 at the top of the hill.
The run starts at 70 at the bottom of the hill.

40mm carbs are great for speed, just don't do well on gas mileage and around town.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/10/13 at 20:21:58

Everything you'd ever want or need to know about this is in this forum somewhere; especially if you go through the technical section...

For example:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1291516932

Also; LANCER seems to be the king of power mods around here.
He has lots of cool tricks for sale, but he's also been super helpful with me just answering questions etc. He's also working on a prototype header to be sold soon...
Read here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338581006

Of course you should also look through all of the threads related to the RYCA builds; their kit takes about 100lbs off of the stock Savage, and that alone boosts your top speed quite a bit.

AND THEN THERE'S THIS GUY!!
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1264727267/0

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:15:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fastest Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.