Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Replacement handlebars? (Read 1039 times)
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Replacement handlebars?
01/05/13 at 05:59:40

I have an '04 LS650, I'd like to change the bars to something different.
I don't care for "Drag bars" as they set too far forward, but the stock
bars are too far "pulled-back"
Any suggestions?  

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Replacement handlebars?
Reply #1 - 01/05/13 at 07:36:04

If you have buckhorns(pullbacks) now,you can go up to like a 10" mini ape.Some 4" Z bars would look good.You can get 1" bars that look like a motocross bar,without the brace.Some Sportsters have them stock.

« Last Edit: 11/23/14 at 06:16:21 by Demin »  

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #2 - 01/05/13 at 08:06:38

Drag bars will come closer to you as you increase the height of your risers.  Cut off a broom to 29", sit on the bike and place the bars where you would like them to be comfortable.  Then look to your risers and see how much longer they would  have to be to use the broomsticks.  Riser length will also dictate whether controls hit the tank when turning.  It is not an exact science but bars alone on the stock risers is not going to give you many options.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/05/13 at 09:13:09

Try some standard bars... these came off a Harley... I got'em for $20.00...
I have drag bars now... switched for cosmetic reasons... standard bars are the most comfortable...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 01/05/13 at 09:16:43

Take into consideration the position of your wrists and hands as well.
Also a mini ape, like the Builtwell Friscos, can be adjusted forward or rearward to get just the right distance. You won't need to change any cabling with them as well.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 01/05/13 at 09:29:25

Sit on the bike, let your arms and hands fall to where they are most comfortable. Have someone take the rough measurements versus your stock bars. Then start hunting the internet for the closest match you can find.

I have a set of tourer/tracker bars on my Honda like Serow has on the pic of his bike. Mine are 7/8" but the 1" version is pretty common. I'm bored with the 15" apes I currently have on mine, next set is likely Knucklehead style beach bars with 6" dogbone risers. Kind of 1500 Drifter-esque on taller risers.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #6 - 01/05/13 at 09:48:20

The bars in Serowbot's photo is exactly what I had in mind.
Too many years riding dirt bikes I guess....
So what bike are those off of? There's so many bars sold online
today and I'd like an easy swap without many modifications.
          Thanks for the photo!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 01/05/13 at 09:59:13

Johnny57 wrote on 01/05/13 at 08:06:38:
Drag bars will come closer to you as you increase the height of your risers.  Cut off a broom to 29", sit on the bike and place the bars where you would like them to be comfortable.  Then look to your risers and see how much longer they would  have to be to use the broomsticks.  Riser length will also dictate whether controls hit the tank when turning.  It is not an exact science but bars alone on the stock risers is not going to give you many options.

This is what Johnny57 is talking about.  These are I think 27" drag bars (they look a litter wider cause of the bar end mirrors/lights combo).  Those are 6" risers.  

These I would call "broomstick" bars, the stock drag bars have some pull back to them -V1

I experimented by parking my bike in the garage so the handlebar area was lined up with a rafter running across the garage.  I then took a 3 ft section of 1" PVC pipe, wrapped a piece of rope around each end then the other ends of the rope went over the rafters and tied so the PVC pipe was floating above the bike.  I sat on the bike and adjusted my arms, body lean, grip, etc., until I found the perfect position.  I inched my bike forward or backwards under the pipe as needed.  I marked where the outside of my hands were on the bar and also measured height and any pullback in reference to the fork angle.  I found no pullback was needed for me with 6" of rise.  Took the rope off the PVC pipe, measured and added an inch on both sides of my grip placement outer marks to accommodate the space the grip ends/where hands are on grips.  Measured the new distance on the bar and got my width.  Viola!  Height, width and pullback dimensions perfected to my particular tastes.  Went on Go on ebay and the risers were I think $30 and the bar $25.  The bar was 29" but I trimmed it.  I like narrower bars.  When I go wider I get the parachute effect.  However, wider bars are better when doing a lot of really slow riding and maneuvering, like riding in a parade.

If you do likewise, cover your tank with a towel and use a PVD pipe.  No metal pipe.  If it slips while wiring it up the PVC won't hurt anything.  You can also heat and bend the PVC pipe to add handlebar pullback.  Then just measure that element when done.  

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 01/05/13 at 10:02:11

The bars Serowbot showed are what I was talking about.Sportsters have them.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/05/13 at 10:13:19

Like these... hunt around, and you can get a better price... These have dimples, but they still work,.. mine were dimpled...
You can find them without... you'll have to drill a couple of small holes for the alignment pins in the controls... no biggie ...
Happy hunting... Wink...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-BARS-HANDLEBARS-DIMPLES-HARLEY-SPORTSTER-DYNA-SOFTA...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #10 - 01/05/13 at 10:29:29

I'm also running sportster bars and they are great. Look good, very good ergonoms, seem to help your steer the bike well.
I like the look of drag bars but saw too many clips of people making themselves into a pretzel - arms forward to reach drag bars, legs forward for chopper controls, arse back, back and neck bent.
If you is a youngin' you can probably get away with it but not this aging skeleton. Tongue

IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #11 - 01/05/13 at 10:32:22

Thanks for all the input, now I'll start checking and have a direction to go.
One last question....what's the best way to pull the clutch-side grip off
without having to cut it?
                                     Thanks, Dave S.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 01/05/13 at 10:48:49

Couples issues you'll want to be carefull of...
'bots picture show the 1st one well... you have to have enough rise to clear the tank at full lock.  Depending on the controls you got, 4 to 6".
short risers to finalize the fit can be made of anything from a stack up of washers to 3/8's drive, 3/4" sockets.  Just replace the bolt in the current handlebar clamp.

Next, width.  Stock drags and stock mirrors gives me a very good view of my elbows.  Yet 30" bars give me a good view of whats behind.

The last I'll address is pull back.  buck horns have the most pull back, broomsticks the least as in none.  The amount of pull back will dictate whether you grip the bar like a bat or a tea cup.  I prefer to grip it like a bat, the bar fits my hand with my wrist straight, a strength grip.

WWW   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #13 - 01/05/13 at 11:22:47

I brought 9" Harley risers and turned them round. A very comfortable ride and great body position for a 6 foot frame.

023_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #14 - 01/05/13 at 13:21:43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-EKwyER74

Watch this link.  I have used this guys method multiple times on different bikes and it has not failed me yet.  Showed method to an experienced Harley mechanic and he was just amazed!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:08:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacement handlebars?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.