Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas-proof clearcoat for tank? (Read 205 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Gas-proof clearcoat for tank?
Reply #15 - 01/02/13 at 09:52:13

Anybody else tried "Pholyutherithan" Huh(check the spelling on that) ?    Best I can tell , Gas doin't bother it , but its hard to make it stick to the basecoat real good.

Smiley

polyurethane? -v1

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 01/02/13 at 18:15:30

WD wrote on 01/02/13 at 09:38:58:
PPG dealer will do the clear coat in bomb cans. You've got 4 hours to use it or the contents have gone solid. Just called our local PPG jobber, 1 can will do a typical cafe bike, one MAYBE two coats, and runs $45 out the door. Catalyzed base coats have the same working time, run $30 out the door.

He also said don't use the PPG clear over generic enamels, it's going to lift them.

Does that mean I can not use the PPG clear over Dupli-color?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 01/03/13 at 05:16:39

Not supposed to. I've had Duplicolor clear lift Duplicolor color coats, following the can directions for working window to the letter. Krylon was the same way, their clear lifted/wrinkled their color coat.

Have not had problems with PJ1 clear but not sure if it is still being made.

Had nothing but problems with VHT colors and clears, but the primer seemed to be fine.

I just stick with tried and true Rustoleum bomb cans anymore. Have never had a problem with their colors or clears, even with engine enamels. I've saturated tanks painted with it and never had any clear coat stains or color coat changes. Even the regular line has been gas resistant on the sides of my 69 Dodge truck...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/03/13 at 05:44:51

I was talking with the guy at R&E paint supplies about the Spraymax 2K. He said he has used it over lots of different color coats however if you use shelf enamel you have to shoot within an hour.

IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #19 - 01/03/13 at 19:36:43

Figured I'd throw my two cents in here. Like WD I've had great results with Rustoleum clear. For the price you might give it a try. At least then we'll know for sure either way. If price is not a concern, I would highly recomend Dupont Imron from your local auto body supply shop. It is literally bullet proof. Really......I've seen it. Had a repo man bring a truck into our shop that the registered owner decided "If I can't have it, no one can" and he opened up on it with a small calibur hand gun. The truck was a Peterbilt painted with Imron. Where there was sufficient material to stop the bullet, it dented, but no chips or flaking of the paint. Didn't believe the body shop guys 'till I saw it myself. They also paint the chassis with it, and even after years of diesel fuel, grease, and salt buildup, virtually no damage to the paint. Very cool stuff.

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 06:39:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas-proof clearcoat for tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.