Leak... (Read 547 times)
Dave-Aus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leak...
12/03/12 at 00:33:43

hi guys

got my bike delivered today - 1986 Savage in Australia.

no leaks when the truck dropped it off, after a short ride its dripping from under the bike, seems to be coming off the tip of the little rubber thing hanging down.

any directions on what it may be? Smiley photo attached.

photo2.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave-Aus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Leak...
Reply #1 - 12/03/12 at 01:51:21

So after a closer look and some research, seems to be coming dripping from the air box breather tubes.

bit of oil (mainly dried) around the base of join for the clutch cover too.

uh oh Sad

I suppose I have a bit of work ahead of me.

Would i be right in saying...

The airbox is probably full of fuel / oil and I should NOT turn the bike on again.

the oil level window is solid black and i cant see in. I'm guessing it just has old oil staining the glass and needs a clean... or is full of fuel / oil ?

- The carbs need a good cleaning (are they the most likely cause of my issue for the oil / fuel spilling into the air box?)
- i should order a new air filter and oil filter
- i should change the gasket for the clutch cover
- i should put new oil and fuel in

anything else i should be looking at while i'm at it?

IP Logged
Dave-Aus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/03/12 at 03:07:29

May also be the standard petcock leaking from vacuum line?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/03/12 at 03:40:29

the oil level window is solid black and i cant see in. I'm guessing it just has old oil staining the glass and needs a clean... or is full of fuel / oil ?

Either over filled w/ oil OR, petcock is messed up & crank is full O gas.,in th oil.

Drain it & smell it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 12/03/12 at 04:46:52

I agree with Jog.  Change oil and filter....you should get about 2 quarts of oil out and it should not smell like gas.  Do the the Petcock test you can find in the Tech Section.

The little hose you are looking at comes from the air box and is supposed to ohave a plug in the end that you only take out when changing oil.  This is the drain for the part of the air box that the engine breather hose connects to.....and normally there is just a little oil and water condensation in this hose.  If your crankcase is overfilled with oil and/or fuel.....then more than a normal amount of oil is blown out.

Here is the link to the petcock test....you can find more about the petcock in the Tech Section.....find the index at the top of the page.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Do you have an owners manual yet?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 12/03/12 at 06:56:18

Also pull off the air filter cover, and look inside.   A few minutes, and that may tell you a lot.   Is that the way the pipe connection came, or did you remove the coupling cover?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 12/03/12 at 10:15:04

There's a downloable manual for about$US12

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #7 - 12/03/12 at 20:44:00

When you get a "new" old bike, I'd always give it a thorough once over to check everything.

-As mentioned, that drain tube from the airbox normally has some oil and water in it, and it's SUPPOSED to be emptied at every oil change.  I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find a neglectful PO didn't realize he was supposed to do that.  Empty it and carry on.

-Your oil around the clutch cover could simply be over spray.  Clean everything thoroughly, go for a ride, and observe.

-Open up your airbox and check out your filter, then determine if you need to replace it.  You can also research the "nu-foam" upgrade where you remove the paper element and simply build a less restrictive air filter using the old metal frame.

-It never hurts to change your oil and filter, unless you use the wrong stuff.  Go get some oil that's well endowed with ZDDP like Rotella, get a new filter, and install it the right way!  If your oil window doesn't clear up, you might try putting some kerosene or diesel in your CRANKCASE after you've drained your oil.  Let it soak for a while, and it'll clean things right up.  Drain it off before you add your oil, but don't worry; you won't catch fire.   Cool

Manuals are ALWAYS a great thing to have.  I've downloaded the clymer's manual, owner's manual, parts manual/diagram...  all free, all thanks to this website. Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 12/03/12 at 20:46:44

& Yes, there is a hose under that that is supposed to be drained at oil change time,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave-Aus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/03/12 at 21:37:16

Apparently Rotella isnt sold in Australia, however, Shell Rimula is similar.

Does this oil seem suitable? 1200 zddp which i think is acceptable

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Shell-R3-X-Engine-Oil-...

IP Logged
Dave-Aus
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/04/12 at 00:08:02

So yesterday I wiped the bottom of the engine down with paper towel to dry it off

Came home tonight and there is oil on the bottom of the engine

Seems to be coming from the join that runs right in the middle of the two engine halves

This photo is taken from under the bike, bottom back of engine closest to rear wheel

I suppose it could be tracking down from higher up? If it is indeed leaking from this join, would this mean split the case in half to put a new gasket in?

Have ordered a new air and oil filter, oil, carb rebuild kit and a raptor

image_022.jpg
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/04/12 at 02:48:28

check the bolts that your pegs are mouted to. they go thru the cases. tightening them up might cure the oil leak from between cases.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 12/04/12 at 04:59:46

The cases are not joined with a gasket - a sealant is applied when assembling the halves.  Get some degreaser and wash your bike - then look for the leak.  As mentioned previously - check to see if the engine bolts are all snugged up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 12/04/12 at 09:25:24

Y3ep,, tighten the peg bolts up. Itll vibrate less & stop that leakin.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #14 - 12/04/12 at 09:40:20

A few comments...

1) Slow down.  Find and fix one problem at a time.  Going in and "fixing" a bunch of things is a recipe for disaster.

2) Clean the engine throughly.  I recommend a few cans of break and parts cleaner.  That thing is a mess, and there is no way to tell where the leak is coming from.  There are a few common places these engines leak from, and they all have drastically different methods of fixing.

3) Do the regular service.  You need a known base to work from, so change the oil and filter, and examine or change the air filter, and drain and clean out the air box.  Use that break and parts cleaner again.  Also, smell the oil to see if it reeks of gas...

As for the Rotella vs Rimula, I found this.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2426403

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 06:29:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leak...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.