Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Dyno results + pics of mods (Read 424 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Dyno results + pics of mods
01/01/13 at 12:51:36

I don't remember to whom on this forum I sold my 2006 S40 but I just remember that he was a really super cool dude.  Here's some old pics I came across plus dyno results.  Out of maybe a dozen bikes I've owned and another 15-20 that I've ridden, this was by far my favorite bike around town.  I'm currently on a modded Mean Streak 1600.  But often I wish I was on this puppy.

Airbox removed, battery relocated, forward controls, saddlebags, lowered rear fender, horn cover, headlight raised, headlight visor, speedo bezel

Tuned exhaust, Kamikaze intake, seat reshaped, crank case filter

Risers, broomstick drag bars, combo bar end mirror/turn signals (they were still a work in progress)

Tail light removed, holes welded, fender painted, new tail light, rear turns, tag relocated (still had stock exhaust on back then)

Custom machined cam chain tensioner extender

Dyno results

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Dyno results + pics of mods
Reply #1 - 01/01/13 at 12:59:27

Your old bike is referred to now-a-days as Black Beauty, you sold it to Lancer who then gave it to his son.   Black Beauty has made one Dragon Run where it was admired by all that attended.  

Black Beauty also killed her a 1200cc Sportster and two (2) full dressers on that trip (as in destroyed the crankshaft splines on the primary chain sprocket) while the Sportster was trying to run away from Black Beauty (unsuccessfully) on a very curvy mountain road.

Lancer was on your old bike and MMRanch was on the new 1200cc Sporty (soon to be sold after the broken tipped splines were repaired by weld up & grind down).  

I was there (but had actually left the scene by the time this evil dual full dresser deed took place) as to the them foolish miscreant's evil dresser deeds, the cruel slaying of the two fat full dresser Hurleys on the right and on the left, with them boys jest a sparking them footboards out from under them in matched pairs, then our Savage boys jest a riding on through them and leaving them turned turtle, all horizontal & wheels a spinning by the roadsides.  

Yep, Black Beauty was a fearsome thing to behold when hard ridden.

We got all too old and sensible after that though, and no longer can seem to get a Dragon Run put together as the bad backs and wimpy butts seem to be the rule of the day.

Wink

« Last Edit: 01/01/13 at 15:08:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 01/01/13 at 13:46:59

Awesome.  Thanks for the history. Black Beauty put it's share of 1 liter+ cruisers to shame stoplight to stoplight.  Of course, once you hit 60mph those other bikes will leave it in the dust. But a sporty curve will take care of that.   I'm up for a Dragon run this summer.  Still hard for me to call it that.  For years I rode it as Deal's Gap and always stayed at the Crossroads Of Time Motel.  Then the secret got out!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 01/01/13 at 14:33:04

So, when do you want to go visit the Dragon again?  I'm up to split a room with you and Dave might want to come to make it a threesome (1 small room full up).

Here is your weather tool for the area so you can pick you a time with some good weather.   Last week of June gets too too durn hot lately with global warming and all (causes rear tire damage to the bikes it does).  

If you aimed your Dragon run on the early side of hot, it wouldn't interfere with the WD run in September -- and some of us might well do both (lacking all forms of good sense and all)

Smiley

http://www.usa.com/28716-nc-weather.htm

Next, what'cha got for a bike now-a-days?   Have you bought it yet?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 01/01/13 at 22:32:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/01/13 at 14:33:04:

So, when do you want to go visit the Dragon again?  I'm up to split a room with you and Dave might want to come to make it a threesome (1 small room full up).

Here is your weather tool for the area so you can pick you a time with some good weather.   Last week of June gets too too durn hot lately with global warming and all (causes rear tire damage to the bikes it does).  

If you aimed your Dragon run on the early side of hot, it wouldn't interfere with the WD run in September -- and some of us might well do both (lacking all forms of good sense and all)

Smiley

http://www.usa.com/28716-nc-weather.htm

Next, what'cha got for a bike now-a-days?   Have you bought it yet?

I'm free just about any time. I am unemployable. Investigation after strokes revealed connections with medical problems mishandled while I was in the service. I'm 100% permanent. Military disability benefits have me taken care of. I get my kids every other weekend, 1/2 the summer and doctor appts about twice a month. Other than that I'm pretty much free.  My wife is awesome and tries to find ways to get me out of the house and doing stuff with others.

As for my new wheels its an '04 Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 01/02/13 at 02:19:23

Well, heck fire !  Bummed about missing another fun ride up yonder.      Sad

(Actually, my son bought it, I just helped make the arrangements.
I've always thought it was the cleanest, sleekest looking LS650 I've ever seen; ran good too; would hit 95 indicated anytime you wanted.)
Cool

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/02/13 at 05:55:23

Ok, we got two threads for two trips up at the top of the Cafe in the sticky area.  One is for WD in September, the other is for the Dragon in the early summer months.

Diamond Jim, you need to ring in on the Dragon thread at the top of the Cafe periodically to get updates on the trip planning.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #7 - 01/02/13 at 09:44:34

Where is the battery on that "Black beauty"? AWESOME looking bike...this is the look I am going for on my winter build...got any of the build pics?

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/02/13 at 10:04:02

Super Thumper wrote on 01/02/13 at 09:44:34:
Where is the battery on that "Black beauty"? AWESOME looking bike...this is the look I am going for on my winter build...got any of the build pics?

pretty sure it was a full size bat in 1 of the bags.

WWW   IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #9 - 01/02/13 at 12:07:17

I quite like the look of that seat... is that just a trimmed down stock seat?  If so, I think I know exactly what I'm going to be trying out some time in the very near future.  Cheesy

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 01/02/13 at 14:03:57

MiCTLaN wrote on 01/02/13 at 12:07:17:
I quite like the look of that seat... is that just a trimmed down stock seat?  If so, I think I know exactly what I'm going to be trying out some time in the very near future.  Cheesy

No battery.  I just always park on hills.   Grin

Yep, in the right side saddlebag if I recall.  It's been Lancer's son's bike for a couple years now.  

Super Thumper wrote on 01/02/13 at 09:44:34:

Yeah, the seat is trimmed down.

If I had it to do over again I would do it differently.  The look would be identical.  The methods getting there would be different because modding the stock pan provides significant challenges to overcome due to its design.

I would make a new seat pan using one of two methods: Strip the stock seat down to the pan, cover it with plastic, lay several layers of fiberglass over it, let dry, remove the fiberglass, trim it, install the necessary hardware for securing to the bike, foam then cover.  Another method would be to get a thick sheet of 1/4" kydex, heat it to the correct molding temperature (approx 400 F), lay it on the stock seat pan, work it to shape, let it cool, trim it and install hardware.  You can later reheat small, specific areas of the kydex seat pan with a heat gun to ensure precise fitting on the bike.  

You can use the stock seat cover.  But I wouldn't.  I'd recommend taking it to a local community college's upholstery dept and let them refoam then make/install a new cover.  It's usually pretty low $$$ and they do it all the time.  Obviously you can take it to a professional.  But I mention the college route because a) it's usually less than 1/2 the cost of a pro, b) they are always looking for projects to do.  Both win.

Done right, it can be accomplished within a $70-$120 budget and you'll end up with a high quailty, one-of-a kind custom product, rather than just a modded one.   And here's the double bonus- reassemble the stock seat and put it aside.  If you sell the bike you can put the hardly used stock seat on (which will look nice which is great for selling a bike) and then ebay the custom seat and make your money back.  Wink

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #11 - 01/02/13 at 14:47:44

I should have a second (stock solo) seat on the way soon from Lancer, the plan was to mod that so I could keep the stock one if I needed it.  Instead of using the stock cover I planned on doing a new cover myself in distressed leather (and redoing my grips in matching leather at the same time).  I have a fairly good idea of how I'm going to handle it, but haven't taken a look at the pan yet to see how difficult it will be.  What kinds of problems did you have with the stock pan, too flexible or something?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 01/02/13 at 15:16:17

MiCTLaN wrote on 01/02/13 at 14:47:44:
I should have a second (stock solo) seat on the way soon from Lancer, the plan was to mod that so I could keep the stock one if I needed it.  Instead of using the stock cover I planned on doing a new cover myself in distressed leather (and redoing my grips in matching leather at the same time).  I have a fairly good idea of how I'm going to handle it, but haven't taken a look at the pan yet to see how difficult it will be.  What kinds of problems did you have with the stock pan, too flexible or something?

If you're doing solo not too much of a problem. If doing the full seat then the narrowing that start to form the passenger seat and the form of the passenger portion of the pan becomes problematic. The passenger portion of the pan is internally raised to form a space that encloses the rectifier or some kind of part, I forget. Getting the lower profile the becomes a pain. But sounds like none of that will be a problem for you.  

Others have also removed the seat, laid plastic on the frame area where the seat goes, lay fiberglass on that and end up with a low profile seat pan that matches the contours of the frame.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #13 - 01/02/13 at 15:34:56

diamond jim wrote on 01/02/13 at 15:16:17:
If you're doing solo not too much of a problem. If doing the full seat then the narrowing that start to form the passenger seat and the form of the passenger portion of the pan becomes problematic. The passenger portion of the pan is internally raised to form a space that encloses the rectifier or some kind of part, I forget. Getting the lower profile the becomes a pain. But sounds like none of that will be a problem for you.

Nifty.  Thanks for the advice. Smiley

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/02/13 at 20:03:00

Diamond Jim! Long time Dude!!
You inspired numerous changes on my bike.
Rermember this?

I don't have any data to support this, but it did seem to smooth out some of the rough spots. It has been installed between an 'Oldfeller's' air cleaner and the carb for three years.
The screen is sold as a flow regulator for a computer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 10:03:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyno results + pics of mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.