Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Want NO rear footpegs?...cover the holes like this (Read 162 times)
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Want NO rear footpegs?...cover the holes like this
12/31/12 at 16:19:46

I went to the hardware store with metric allen head bolts that mounted the footpegs and got two metric nuts that fit the bolts and two washers. Painted the nuts and washers with gloss black Rust-Oleum and then put the allen bolts/nuts/washers back on sans the footpegs....with the black paint the nuts and washers they were almost invisible until you got a few feet away. Hope this helps. FYI...use blue loctite on the nuts.....just in case.....if those nuts fall off there's nowhere for the allen bolts to go but back out into your rear wheel spokes... :'(

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: Want NO rear footpegs?...cover the holes like
Reply #1 - 12/31/12 at 16:21:59

Pics! We want pics! Wink

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #2 - 01/02/13 at 16:07:00

I have taken the bike all apart for a winter rebuild with mods...i will post pics of ALL when I begin re-assembly  Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 01/02/13 at 17:42:30

We'll slip your thread back over to RSD pending your pictures getting shot.  

Not really sure that this counts as a Technical Document anyway, you are just filling up the holes with flush fitting fasteners to sorta hide the fact you took your buddy pegs off.

Personally, I find a lot of uses for the buddy pegs, as tie down points, as bottom stops for long pieces of this and that that are tied down to the sissy bar, the list goes on and on.  

Never really had anybody use them as foot pegs, ever, I don't ever believe ...  the Savage is jest too small for double up for fat old people.

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 01/02/13 at 18:40:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/02/13 at 17:42:30:
....Personally, I find a lot of uses for the buddy pegs, as tie down points, as bottom stops for long pieces of this and that that are tied down to the sissy bar, the list goes on and on....

OF,

I'm not getting it......

Last I checked, the buddy pegs are mounted to the swingarm.  They move too much to act as tie downs, I'm thinkin'.

What am I missing?   Embarrassed

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #5 - 01/03/13 at 07:09:38

Yes, the passenger pegs are attached to the swing arm so whatever is tied down to the pegs will experience some loosening/tightening stresses as the rear suspension/swing arm moves up and down. makes it easy for things to loosen up and eventually fall off.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 01/03/13 at 10:10:58

Buddy pegs make excellent tie down points when mounting the bike to a truck or to a jack stand.  

Think on it, the contained area is the rear tire and swing arm and they never move relative to the truck bed or the jack stand.  The body of the bike might move some, and there may be a mild "controlled conflict" between handle bars and sissy bar, but we know tie downs can stretch a bit as needed, that's why they need periodic tightening.  And it is always the sissy bar and handle bars that get loose, the buddy peg tie downs stay pretty much unchanged.

Now, using buddy pegs as the bottom stop point for a carried load is more interesting as they will move up and down with the shocks.   But its better than having no bottom stop point at all.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/03/13 at 10:21:21

I suppose if you used the Buddy Pegs as tie down points for bungee straps - the movement would not be too severe to cause problems.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:18:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Want NO rear footpegs?...cover the holes like this

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.