Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OIL WAR -- Thumper Oil by Bel Ray (Read 167 times)
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
OIL WAR -- Thumper Oil by Bel Ray
12/31/12 at 08:01:57

« Last Edit: 01/02/13 at 22:11:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Thumper Oil
Reply #1 - 01/01/13 at 18:59:12

Interesting.....I wonder how the specs stack up?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 01/02/13 at 20:19:28

http://www.moddedraptor.com/community/raptor-700-maintenance/8766-more-oil-an...

These ATV riders did an oil analysis and comparison against Klotz. Granted they are operating in dirtier conditions, but It's still a decent comparison.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/02/13 at 21:51:52

didn't see any data, pdf's are gone.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: OIL WAR -- Thumper Oil by Bel Ray
Reply #4 - 01/02/13 at 22:19:26

However, we do know Klotz MX4 oil.   If it beat the Bel Ray Thumper stuff it really doesn't matter if the VOA's have all disappeared, the Thumper stuff must not be as good as what we are using/recommending now as it is NOT as good as or better than Klotz MX4.  

You can still buy the Bel Ray thumper stuff, it is a dino/synthetic blend that costs around $11 a quart that yields UOA results that apparently aren't as good as Klotz.

Sounds like over fluffed semi-synthetic stuff that has already been cast aside by the dirt bike boys because its price is up there with the expensive full synthetics that can kick its ass performance-wise.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 01/02/13 at 22:43:48

Bob's only contains one (1) voa on the Bel Ray oils.   This is not the Thumper stuff per se, but indicates the Bel Ray oils are relatively weak on their add packs and that they continue to use sulfur compounds at very high levels that would not pass the MA rating standards.

A standard HDEO would out spec this oil handily.

This is a VOA on the oil I use in my BMW K1200 LT motorcycle. It is a API SG oil. Analysis done by Wear Check Canada

Silicon 5.2
Potassium 0
Sodium 213
Fuel (%) <2.2
Glycol ----
Water (%) <0.3
Soot (%) -----
Sulfation -----
Nitration -----

Boron 0.4
Barium 0
Calcium 574
Magnesium 572
Molybdenum 0.1
Sodium 213
Phosphorus 1042
Sulfur 8956
Zinc 1151
Visc@40°C 178
Visc@100°C 20.5
Oxidation ----
TAN 2.45
TBN ---

Iron 2.5
Nickel 1.3
Chromium 0.1
Titanium 0
Copper 0.6
Aluminum 0.6
Tin 0.7
Lead 1
Silver 0.7

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 01/03/13 at 06:10:02

I am quite smug about all this oil war stuff.  
-- So many folks concerned about oil this and oil that.  Not me.
-- On a simple issue,.. solved perfectly for months, maybe years,... so many folks with angst, energy and bucks spent. Not me.
-- So many folks having trouble even finding some sort of oil they favor, instead of using the perfect solution. Not me.

Once a year or so, when I am at Walmart, I buy a couple of large jugs of Rotella T6.  When I need to change some oil in a bike, I just use that stuff with the recommended amount of RedLine zddp stuff put in.  

Done.

No angst.

Cheap.

No better way to lube the innards of any motorcycle I have.

And,... since I visit RSD a couple times daily (usually) I know that if this perfect and cheap solution needs some modification, there are some actual experts here that will let us all know in a timely manner what adjustments to make.

Life is good.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/03/13 at 07:24:22

GYYROBOB:

I agree.......At first I fought the Rotella T rumors.  The Kawasaki Super Sherpa forum that I was on touted the use of Rotella - but nobody had facts to support their statements.  They only made claims about how well it worked.

This forum has proven to me with supporting data that the Rotella has what our primitive, low tech engine needs to survive and be durable. I have made the switch to Rotella T for my Savage, diesel tractor, mowers, and even my car.  I don't shop at Walmart however.....and buy the Rotella at Autozone when they have it on sale.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 01/03/13 at 08:02:09

Dave wrote on 01/03/13 at 07:24:22:
GYYROBOB:

I agree.......At first I fought the Rotella T rumors.  The Kawasaki Super Sherpa forum that I was on touted the use of Rotella - but nobody had facts to support their statements.  They only made claims about how well it worked.

This forum has proven to me with supporting data that the Rotella has what our primitive, low tech engine needs to survive and be durable. I have made the switch to Rotella T for my Savage, diesel tractor, mowers, and even my car.  I don't shop at Walmart however.....and buy the Rotella at Autozone when they have it on sale.

I first learned about it on the FJR forums several years ago.  Most of them think it is juice from heaven,.. although there are few "bills" there that don't get the idea.  

I am at Walmart once or twice a week it seems.  I am at a point in my life where I want the smallest amount of time taken out of it to deal with mundane issues like driving around to different places to get the stuff I can get at Walmart.  I can get to my Walmart in a few minutes and spend less for basic stuff than I have to spend at places that would require more gas, time, and money.  Quick and cheap means more to me now.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 21:49:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OIL WAR -- Thumper Oil by Bel Ray

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.