Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children. (Read 1880 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.
Reply #45 - 12/16/12 at 10:33:21

When the greedy rich decided to ship good paying jobs overseas causing both parents to work was the beginning of the end for 2 parent

I think it was WWII that started that.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #46 - 12/16/12 at 12:06:58

I usually stay out of politics and help people work on their bikes here.

I was raised as a hunter at 11 years old I knew how to use a handgun,shotgun and a rifle.And was shown what they would do.As a little kid I was TAUGHT to not even point a toy gun at something or someone.I have guns and like it's been said there are different ones for different needs.I got my butt beat on a regular basis as a kid(usually deserved it).I don't hate the world for it.I still don't point it at anything unless it's my target.If you break into my home/shop I will shoot you,not because I want to shoot/kill something.I'm not giving you the chance to do it to me..I do carry.AT TIMES.I don't go looking for trouble though.  

I was raised watching the three stooges and the likes.I knew if you hit somebody in the head with a hammer,it would hurt or kill them.That's what I was TAUGHT.

I believe it starts at home.Raise your kids with manners.And beat their butts when they need it(not abuse them though).

Correct me if I'm wrong on this,but I think 30 round clips and stuff ARE illegal.

If you've ever been attacked by a wild animal(while plowing fields in my case)you know it's good to have a powerful sidearm.A wild boar will kill you in a second.

Where does it end?Take every last gun.Then it'll be knives....
I don't know.
But I know where it should start...AT HOME!!!!!!

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #47 - 12/16/12 at 12:39:28

Ban on high cap mags expired a few ears ago. I know I can buy 250 round dual feed drum ones at the shows down here. But since I have zero interest in warping another rifle barrel...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #48 - 12/16/12 at 12:42:23

WebsterMark wrote on 12/16/12 at 10:33:21:
When the greedy rich decided to ship good paying jobs overseas causing both parents to work was the beginning of the end for 2 parent

I think it was WWII that started that.

Web you're right, it was WWII that put women to work. You can beat and torture a child and turn him into a wild animal but the majority of mental illness is caused by chemical imbalance.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #49 - 12/16/12 at 12:48:42

Aurora, CO & Newtown, CT - The oddity is that both fathers of the of the shooters were potential witnesses in the LIBOR scandals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libor_scandal      hell of a coincedence!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #50 - 12/16/12 at 12:50:45

WD wrote on 12/16/12 at 12:39:28:
Ban on high cap mags expired a few ears ago. I know I can buy 250 round dual feed drum ones at the shows down here. But since I have zero interest in warping another rifle barrel...

See what I know.I thought they were.Didn't know it changed.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 12/16/12 at 15:00:01

I have hunted many kinds of animals for my entire life..never needed a 30 round clip for any of them!  Most were 1 shot kills thats what being a hunter means not spraying lead hoping something runs into one!!

I agree his mother must have been a bit off thinking she needed a bushmaster.... Roll Eyes

I used an M16 it was for killing people....just like what happened to 26 people in newtown. NO one needs this type of fire power for defence in the home!!

This is a turning point for me, we no longer live in a country where right and wrong is understood so the gov needs to limit these high round clips and force anyone buying a gun to have training on how it works and some basic moral guidence!

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #52 - 12/16/12 at 15:10:24

We must certainly be the laughingstock of nations that have much more sensible controls over firearms than we do.

We seem to others a nation of war mongering violence prone nuts - and we've purposely made it that way. We spend SIXTY PERCENT of our national budget on defense..death tools. SIXTY PERCENT and yet not even the TINIEST mention of that bloat while discussing cuts in Medicare and Social Security.

The NRA currently has Ted Nugent sitting on their Board of Directors, Nugent has advocated the assassination of Barack Obama on at least three seperate occasions yet the NRA continues to allow him to sit on their Board and speak for the organization.

The NRA is the most dangerous domestic terrorist organization in America. Before anything can ever be done to curb gun violence in this nation the NRA must be dealt with..banned, dismantled, sued, ridiculed, fought against with seething righteous anger. It must go and be forever banned. Then the politicians can address gun issues from the perspective of intelligence, common sense, and the will of the people without having to bow and scrape to this gang of thugs.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #53 - 12/16/12 at 17:51:29

Then the politicians can address gun issues from the perspective of intelligence, common sense, and the will of the people without having to bow and scrape to this gang of thugs.

Huh

Has someone from the Blaine WA customs post been sending you some of B.C.s best? The people in this country who HAVE intelligence and common sense don't get into politics.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #54 - 12/17/12 at 01:05:51

A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to pass a law specifically allowing teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month.

Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.

Superintendent David Thweatt told FOXNews.com the policy was initiated because of safety concerns.

“We have had employees assaulted before by people in the last several years,” Thweatt said. “I think that safety is big concern. We are seeing a lot of anger in society.”

He wouldn’t comment further on the nature of the assaults.

The Texas superintendent linked gun-free zones with the uprising of school shootings in recent years.

“When you make schools gun-free zones, it’s like inviting people to come in and take advantage,” Thweatt told FOXNews.com.

In order for teachers and staff to carry a pistol, they must have a Texas license to carry a concealed handgun; must be authorized to carry by the district; must receive training in crisis management and hostile situations and must use ammunition that is designed to minimize the risk of ricochet in school halls.

Thweatt said the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff’s office, leaving students and teachers without protection. He said the district’s lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target.

The kindergarten through 12th grade school district is home to 110 students.

Thweatt said officials researched the policy and considered other options for about a year before approving the policy change. He said the district also has various other security measures in place to prevent a school shooting.

“The naysayers think [a shooting] won’t happen here,” Thweatt said. “If something were to happen here, I’d much rather be calling a parent to tell them that their child is OK because we were able to protect them.”

He told FOXNews.com he doesn’t think students will think twice about the new policy.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #55 - 12/17/12 at 04:35:51

I was expecting starry and pescatori to chime in with the "guns are evil, they kill kids" mantra.  Standard, baseless, liberal screed,.. never does have a basis in reality.

I thought it almost funny how pescatori made comments about mussolini, hitler, franco, and castro,...  all of whom made gun control an immediate national law as soon as they took power.  They knew full well they needed a disarmed citizenry in order to kill citizens whenever they needed to.

A few cogent thoughts come to mind:

"Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people."

Morgan Freeman, noted actor and liberal, offered these thoughts,.. note the last sentence:  

"It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #56 - 12/17/12 at 07:23:01

Look at the news stories breaking this morning about how crazy the mother of the shooter was.  She was one of those "preppers", hoarding food, weapons and ammo for the "coming collapse" of society.  The shooter at age 20 had no jog - spent his days in two adjoining bedrooms playing violent computer games.  She took both her sons to the gun range often - nothing wrong with that in itself, unless the range people should have had suspicions when, or of, they saw bizzare behavior out of this so-called family.

The mother never allowed anyone, family or neighbors to enter her home.  Although she was in a dice playing club in the community, when it came her turn to host, she always found an excuse to make another member host instead.

Sorry, Midnight and JOG, but when people are crazy, they are crazy, and maybe the community at large there needs to ask itself why someone didn't try to help these people with their paranoia.  Couple all of this together with the fact that the shooter had mild autism, was a recluse, etc., etc. and you had the recipe for disaster cooking for a long time.

Maybe it's time we, as a society, look out for our neighbors, and when we have people like this in our midst, take positive action to alert authorities, get them some help, before the blow up happens.  The slippery slope of mental illness often starts with this paranoia toward society, politics and "collapse".

Even the shooter's brother hadn't seen him in a few years.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #57 - 12/17/12 at 07:59:18

Gyrobob wrote on 12/17/12 at 04:35:51:
I was expecting starry and pescatori to chime in with the "guns are evil, they kill kids" mantra.  Standard, baseless, liberal screed,.. never does have a basis in reality.
I thought it almost funny how pescatori made comments about mussolini, hitler, franco, and castro,...  all of whom made gun control an immediate national law as soon as they took power.  They knew full well they needed a disarmed citizenry in order to kill citizens whenever they needed to.

A few cogent thoughts come to mind:

"Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people."

Morgan Freeman, noted actor and liberal, offered these thoughts,.. note the last sentence:  

"It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Gyrobob must think I've something against him... actually, I don't, in fact, I couldn't care less.

On the other hand, when you learn to think of "history" in 100-year blocks,rather than 4-year Presidential terms, "history" comes to have a whole new meaning.

Hitler, Mussolini et al did not outlaw guns to kill off thier kind, in fact, they didn't ban anything at all; for your inforation, Gyrobob, there were possibly more (hand)guns in fascist Italy than in liberal England at the time, and they did come in handy once the Resistance started in 1943.

And I'll drop it off here for the sake of your reputation.

What does attract my attention, on the other hand, is your defining my feelings as "standard, baseless, liberal screed".

OK; I had to look up "screed" to make sure you hadn't mistyped the word.
"Standard" has many meanings, one of which is equivalent to FLAG, so I'll take that as your subconscious acknowledgement that you agree with me.
"Liberal"? I am afraid you haven't got a clue to what "liberal" means, unless you mistake it with "libertarian" or "foolish" or whatever other completely wrong adjective...
But "Baseless"? Baseless my donkey's tushy! I am counting bodies  Angry and you had better start counting them yourself !

As for touring the US, some of you may remember I did tour the US - the Southwest - in June/July 2008, and did have the pleasure to meet Verslagen and Paladin on that occasion.
Did I feel at risk? Dou you see gun racks in pickups in downtown Averageville?  Lips Sealed

I am not afraid of guns, I've been "enjoying" weapons of all sorts and sizes since the age of 19 and I'll be 53 in two weeks.
I have a number of handguns in the home, none of which can be easily got at, because my house is not at risk of burglary.
(I live on the 5th floor, have an armored front door and it's jolly hard to climb 45ft up a brick wall with your bare hands ...)
I have been employed to keep the peace, and I didn't like it, not because I didn't like the job, but when you are Officer Commanding a Company of recruits, anything can happen and it's always your fault  Tongue
So I was lucky there.

All in all, Gun Control can be applied as the most basic, simple and easy to use rule, just do as you do with cars:
- you need a driver's license -> you need a shooter's license -> go get trained at a certified shooting range -> train the trainers and certify them too.

- you want a car? License it. You want a gun? Declare it at the Sheriff's Office.

- You want to drive on the open road ? Get insurance. You want to carry in public? Get insurance.
Else, get a "sports" permit which allows you to go to the shooting range, but when in the car the gun must be disassembled and ammo kept in a separate container.

I'm not saying "file the people", I'm just saying "as you do for cars, do for guns".

And if people with Greek lamb chop names stopped offending Forum Members, reading his posts would be more pleasant, too.  Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 12/17/12 at 08:13:54

It was my turn to teach our Sunday School class yesterday and Sandy Hook was a topic that was too big not to bring up, especially since we were due to go over the Slaughter of the Innocents found in Matthew.

After I thought about it for a while, the approach I took was to ask everyone to think back how it was when the germ theory of disease was first presented. It was not embraced for a long time, in fact it wasn’t  until Lister solved a potential disaster in the silk worm industry in the early to middle 1800’s did it begin to gain traction.

I think the reason it was slow to be accepted is because the doctors of the time didn’t believe what they couldn’t see. ( a broken leg is easy to accept, it’s right in front of you and the pain is manifested, rather loudly) Oh sure, they understood there were things smaller than what their eyes could see (they had early microscopes), but when you are talking about changing behavior and techniques that go back years and years, it’s not easy. In fact, it’s a slow process.

So, I asked the question is our society’s stigma regarding mental health the equivalent of doctor’s slow embrace of the germ theory years ago? Should we begin to understand just how fragile the psyche is for some people and what it is that pushes them over the edge, so to speak?

For example, a diabetic is fully aware certain behaviors have severe consequences. In the future, will we be able to identify certain mental health conditions where outside influences like violent games or large social groups of competitive adolescences are just as deadly as a Snickers bar to a diabetic? I think we’d all answer that yes, at some point in the future, we’ll probably understand that.

The conclusion we came to is that time marches on regardless if we start working on something today or 10 years from now. Time still passes. If we wait 10 years, we’ve lost those 10 years and all the benefits that individuals could have gained. Bottom line, start taking mental health issues more seriously and work to remove the stigma associated with it.

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 12/17/12 at 08:13:58

Mental health problems, still the main reason for these shootings.. The nation has cut mental health facilities, treatment, and recognition to the bone, then expects all to be fine in a society that lives on violence.. We worship war, we push toy guns on our children, as soon as they are old enough give them real ones, hold our military above all else, have an abundance of violent video games that mimick war, killing, decapitation, and all out apocalypse.. Children are trained killers, we all have access to weapons capable of killing in mass quanity. We have a news media that feeds on tragedy, reports for days on every aspect, every detail of mass shootings, government overthrow, war, natural disaster, and we get that information minutes after it happens..

Then we wonder WHY these things happen? Jesus, its a wonder they don't happen everyday! We all must be some kind of special stupid...

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:54:04

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.