Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Why not carry concealed even if it's illegal? (Read 386 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Why not carry concealed even if it's illegal?
12/28/12 at 04:48:13

I posted this question on my Facebook page but would like the input of the fine folks here as well.

I have a question. I am not being an instigator. I would truly like a good answer. If an adult believes he needs to carry a concealed weapon to protect himself or his family and it is not legal in his city/state, why doesn't he carry it anyway? I mean, it is a life or death decision. It is concealed. By the definition of the word, no one will know you have it. If you need it to defend your life, you use it. Would you rather be alive and going to court or be dead? I would be willing to bet many of the people who won't carry because it's the law are the same people who have intentionally broken many laws just because they wanted to, not because it was a life or death situation. Underage drinking. Smoking dope. Street racing. Speeding. Driving while intoxicated. Each of these things is illegal yet many people will do them for fun. If you are willing to break the law for fun, why not to save your life?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Why not carry concealed even if it's illegal?
Reply #1 - 12/28/12 at 05:22:58

Good question.I've done everything you listed.Depending where I'm at(in my car)I've had my gun within reach.But I've never illegally caried.Maybe laws are stiffer,get shot by a Barney Fife cop,got older and wiser.I can't honestly answert that.In a bar fight/whatever I can usually hold my own.If it's close(in the car)I usually have a knife,screwdriver,something laying around.If need be I would use that....I guess.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 12/28/12 at 06:06:08

I think it has something to do with how we perceive ourselves. If the decision is made to carry concealed without a permit then we are taking the step down to the level of the criminal instead of abiding by the law. All the he!! raising done with drugs, speeding and drinking is more social done with friends. Carring without a permit is more of a personal choice which a lot of people won't share with others.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 12/28/12 at 06:09:21

People do but they do not advertise.
I know there's been more than one instance where people have been assaulted (because it's a verb, not an adjective) and were carrying in an area they were not legally permitted to carry in.

--Steve

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 12/28/12 at 06:31:29

Got to agree with Paraquat, there is no way to tell how many are carring without a permit. It's a personal choice wether to carry or not and don't ask, don't tell, is the rule.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 12/28/12 at 09:48:46

This happened a LOT in Texas after Luby's but before the law was passed.  One DA stated that he would be strictly enforcing the carry laws and ignoring the "travelling" defence and was almost recalled from office.  This is one reason why I am not too worried about what the national government does.

Also, if you study history you know that what prompted the Texas war for independence was Mexican gun control.  Something to consider.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 12/28/12 at 21:08:04

I used to carry concealed when I worked nights. That was before there were concealed permits. If I had a flat tire or car trouble at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning I didnt want to be at the mercy of whoever came along on the backwoods roads I drove to work.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 12/29/12 at 12:23:47

not illegal till you get caught

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #8 - 12/29/12 at 12:32:11

thumperclone wrote on 12/29/12 at 12:23:47:

Rather judged by 12 than carried by 6.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 12/30/12 at 04:14:58

houstonbofh wrote on 12/29/12 at 12:32:11:
thumperclone wrote on 12/29/12 at 12:23:47:

Rather judged by 12 than carried by 6.

AMEN !

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/30/12 at 18:42:09

My G'pa had a snubby 38. Went in his belt every nite as he closed the store up. When he put his $$$ in his bank bag & headed for his truck, he held the bag in his left hand, right hand ready to grab his gun. I guess every cop around knew he was packin, that was in 72,, Oklahoma, on a stretch of road between Tecumseh & Shawnee, pretty isolated & long before cell phones. He knew whose responsibility it was for him to get home safely. Americans have been slowly seperated from the land & growing food & canning & putting food back for times when it will be needed. Just as we have been slowly taken away from the idea of being self reliant in other aspects of life. If Johnny is picking on you, tell the teacher. Once upon a time, ya hit the punk in the face as hard as ya could as many times as ya could.. If someone is committing a crime, QUICK! Dial 911! America was a better place when people would come to the aid of a stranger by taking action directly against their attacker. Now, they make a call & Believe theyve "Done all they could do"..
I miss the America I loved so much.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 12/30/12 at 21:58:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/30/12 at 18:42:09:
My G'pa had a snubby 38. Went in his belt every nite as he closed the store up. When he put his $$$ in his bank bag & headed for his truck, he held the bag in his left hand, right hand ready to grab his gun. I guess every cop around knew he was packin, that was in 72,, Oklahoma, on a stretch of road between Tecumseh & Shawnee, pretty isolated & long before cell phones. He knew whose responsibility it was for him to get home safely. Americans have been slowly seperated from the land & growing food & canning & putting food back for times when it will be needed. Just as we have been slowly taken away from the idea of being self reliant in other aspects of life. If Johnny is picking on you, tell the teacher. Once upon a time, ya hit the punk in the face as hard as ya could as many times as ya could.. If someone is committing a crime, QUICK! Dial 911! America was a better place when people would come to the aid of a stranger by taking action directly against their attacker. Now, they make a call & Believe theyve "Done all they could do"..
I miss the America I loved so much.

i remember those times a little differently
the watts riots
charles manson
patty hurst
vets getting stoned by civialians
jane fonda
nixon
paraquat
agent orange
spiro t
macnamara
j edgar
yea i remember too
dont miss it tho

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 01/02/13 at 13:17:51

Carrying concealed works less effectively as a deterrent than carrying open IMHO. In NC you dont need a permit to carry open. Many states are that way.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #13 - 01/02/13 at 17:39:44

srinath wrote on 01/02/13 at 13:17:51:
Carrying concealed works less effectively as a deterrent than carrying open IMHO. In NC you dont need a permit to carry open. Many states are that way.

Actually it is proven to be the other way around.  Criminals do not know who is armed in Texas until there is reasonable cause for lethal force.  So the Texas law also protects those who do not carry.  Open carry laws only protect those armed at the time.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 01/02/13 at 19:51:04

houstonbofh wrote on 01/02/13 at 17:39:44:
srinath wrote on 01/02/13 at 13:17:51:

Actually it is proven to be the other way around.  Criminals do not know who is armed in Texas until there is reasonable cause for lethal force.  So the Texas law also protects those who do not carry.  Open carry laws only protect those armed at the time.

I cant believe that ... How would the criminals know that those who aren't carrying a gun are not concealing it ? OK Fine they assume they are armed ... so there is a few people carrying open and the rest unknown, wont the criminals assume the rest are concealing anyway ... Your "proven" fact seems nothing more than a few people's assumptions and that gets repeated and becomes ... well an often repeated lie.
No one may know what is true, but I cant see how in say a crowd, there is a few with visible guns, and in a location where concealed carry is the norm, I cant see how the fact that there is open carry makes any difference ...

I am sorry, I call bogus on this, and dont show me some paper article as your proof.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 03:22:45

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Why not carry concealed even if it's illegal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.