Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children. (Read 1880 times)
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.
Reply #15 - 12/15/12 at 08:56:18

arteacher wrote on 12/15/12 at 07:22:53:
thumperclone wrote on 12/14/12 at 22:18:31:
over 32,000 auto deaths (2011) 3 times the stat you quote for gun deaths
driving is a privielage,its licensed,regulated,taxed etc. but people still die

Apples to oranges.

both are human inventions and both kill when operated by humans

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #16 - 12/15/12 at 09:44:35

The same old bonehead arguments - cars, bombs etc.
There is no denying the facts:
Yes people will always find lethal weapons even if they are illegal.
But countries with gun control/low gun ownership rates don't have regular occurrences of primary school children being massacred with a hand gun. They maybe have one a generation (eg. Norway), America has one a season.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/15/12 at 09:52:00

Any stuff about toothpaste is not thinking about the way laws have always curbed human behaviour - it doesn't have to be a blanket ban to have some positive effect, it can be gradual. Tighten up your laws from now on and move in the right direction.

Tighten up what laws? What law could have been in effect that would have stopped this? Tell me.

I'll save you the trouble; there isn't one. Gun laws are for law abiding citizens not someone mentally ill bent on killing. Guns don't have an expiration date; they pretty remain usable for hundreds of years. Remember there are HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of guns in US homes.

There is no 'gun law' that would have stopped this so stop thinking along that lines.

Retread is right about mental illness. Almost by definition, the shooters of Columbine, Va-Tech and now Ct are mentally ill.

My wife and I were talking and wondering what role violent video games like Assassin’s Creed plays. Obviously, not everyone who plays Assassins Creed turns into a mass murderer, but did all 3 of these mass murderers play Assassins Creed? (or some variation)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #18 - 12/15/12 at 10:07:28

Just a thought,.. but, what kind of gun shop recommends these weapons to a middle-aged kindergarten teacher, in a quiet middle-class neighborhood?...
If a home defense weapon were needed at all,.. I'd have steered her to a 38 snubby...

I wouldn't try to sell her a Hayabusa either...  Huh...

Maybe not illegal,.. but very irresponsible...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 12/15/12 at 10:11:34

True Sew, but some motorcycle shops sell crotch rockets to 16 year olds too.....

I'm going to get a book named, Columbine, The Book by Dave Cullen.
http://www.davecullen.com/columbine.htm

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 12/15/12 at 10:19:00

Serowbot wrote on 12/15/12 at 10:07:28:
Just a thought,.. but, what kind of gun shop recommends these weapons to a middle-aged kindergarten teacher, in a quiet middle-class neighborhood?...
If a home defense weapon were needed at all,.. I'd have steered her to a 38 snubby...

I wouldn't try to sell her a Hayabusa either...  Huh...

Maybe not illegal,.. but very irresponsible...  

You don't "steer" anyone, it is what the gun owner is comfortable with, a 9mm is a easy to use weapon for a woman, trigger pull, and weight.. The only one responsible is HER, she should have secured her weapons from her crazy son... There we go BACK to the real cause, MENTAL HEALTH! Guns will always be there, stolen, borrowed, owned, and sold. Ban all guns? Good luck..

The only thing I can see that might slow these tragedys is gun dealers being trained to recognize mental illness, and having mental health professionals register the mentally ill, requiring background check on weapons to include that data base..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #21 - 12/15/12 at 10:23:10

Quote:
You don't "steer" anyone, it is what the gun owner is comfortable with, a 9mm is a easy to use weapon for a woman, trigger pull, and weight..

...cough,bullsh!t!,cough cough... Grin...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #22 - 12/15/12 at 11:29:30

I'm with Retread.  We have to look at who does these massacres.  The guys who shot Gabby Giffords, the theater in Colorado, the Va. Tech shooter - all have one thing in common - so crazy that just looking at them gives you the willies.

Dangerously mentally ill people used to be identified, treated if possible, and if not possible, they were locked up in institutions.  Today, with our PC world and worrying about perhaps stepping on their "rights", they roam at will.

When family members are in denial that have have a bozo in their midst, they should be liable to the victims, just like the host of a party can be liable when he turns a drunk loose, leaving the party and someone is killed as the drunk drives home.

Privacy laws that are a joke protect these animals, and put the rest of us at risk.  When a school counselor gets wind of emails that are bizzare, he/she should immediately be able and required to call the cops.

I am not a "gun nut", although I own one.  Frankly, I haven't fired it in probably 10 years.  But making handguns illegal accomplishes as much as making cocaine and heroin illegal - if a carzy wants any illegal substance he can get it.

If you want to ban something that does twist people, figure out how to ban the horrible video games that the kids watch today - endless hours of killing, blood and gore.  Do you expect a kid to grow up watching this stuff, and then separate fiction from reality?  And lastly, again, where are the parents of these kids?  And don't give me the "single mom" sob story - maybe she shouldn't have been a single mom in the first place.  That's another whole issue.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 12/15/12 at 11:54:32

So how can we prevent this in the future?

Current status,

if a law is made on gun ban, only the law abiding will be w/out guns.

If a law is made to ID those with mental issues, how many won't be on the list? (m/c... dangerous, action flicks... dangerous, video games... dangerous, TV... dangerous, divorced... dangerous, tea party... dangerous)

WWW   IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #24 - 12/15/12 at 12:00:16

Nothing will stop this reoccurring with regular horror except strong gun control. ie. less gun ownership. And yes it would be political suicide, so it won't happen.
So yes you guys are right - might as well set up the next condolescence thread and post the date for 3 months from now when this happens again again and the rest of the world stares in horror and then just shakes their head as the same lines are trotted out and the status quo returns.
I am 40 years old and I can only remember 2 of these incidents in the whole of Europe in my lifetime. Must be dozens in the states now.
What is the reason for this? More guns.
I'm not anti guns - I've fired one a couple of times and it was hell fun.
But I don't feel the need to have one at home and I'm glad none of my neighbours are legally allowed to either.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #25 - 12/15/12 at 12:33:35

"so look in the mirror sicko".WM

Ditto, freak.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #26 - 12/15/12 at 12:36:13

Oh yeah, 2nd amendment and all that...What? The Founders of our nation might be wrong about something? See slavery for the precedent.

I am not calling for a ban on guns, myself. I do believe in the words "well regulated.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #27 - 12/15/12 at 13:18:13

Latest news at 4:15 PM Esatern time is that all of the victims were shot multiple times by RIFLE fire; not from a handgun.  For what it's worth.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #28 - 12/15/12 at 13:19:12

I cant believe I'm saying this but its come to the point I would like to see every teacher carry concealed. They're the only ones who are in immediate position to protect their students. This says what our country has become but thats the way it is. We have armed Marshalls on our airliners, we need armed teachers in our schools. All the gun laws arent going to do any good. We need trained professionals on the scene to stop the violence immediately. Have the teachers train with local Law Enforcement, go through extensive phychological testing and training and pay them for what they're doing and deserve.. Our children are are most precious resource, no matter what it takes, what extremes we have to go to, we have to protect them and insure they get the education they deserve.  

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #29 - 12/15/12 at 13:24:44

For the First Annual Rodney King Riot you could know who had guns -- they stayed home.  Those who did not have guns left the city.

After the Riot there was a case against the LAPD for not protecting citizens.  They won the case by telling the court that it is *NOT* the job of the police to protect anyone.  The job of police is to clean up after and see who did what.  If you want to be safe, you have to protect yourself.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 09:11:44

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.