Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children. (Read 1880 times)
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.
Reply #105 - 12/19/12 at 05:59:54

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/19/12 at 05:01:44:
There is certainly no one cause of the decline, nor probably 2 or 3 causes.  But I focus on just one of them, again saying it's not the only one.

My beef is the violent computer games.  Anyone who knows anything about mentally imbalanced people knows that they often retreat into a world of their own, blocking out perceptions and realities of the real world around them.

When Adam Lanza stayed in his home, playing these horrible games all day, on multiple computers in two adjoining bedrooms, couldn't he very easily be retreating into a world of that creation - violence, killing, and the glorification of just plain gore?

Plus, computers and graphics, especially at the high end, can be so realistic that to a mind maybe just in the beginning stages of becoming warped, they become his reality.  It's then just a very short step from that reality to exercising the same actions toward real people.

And then he walked into the real world with real guns that let him do exactly as the games showed.
Life imitating art ?
What crap ...
I'd clamp down on guns and bullets, that is the easiest to get a effect on. Gaming systems and games and sites, yes next target ... but hey that is just me.
Maybe the NRA would prefer we remove everything else first, then think about bullets and guns. After all what is 27 people today, 12 people 2 months ago, 33 in summer and what not compared to 150 years of lobbying success and history of freedom.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #106 - 12/19/12 at 06:09:48

Srinath -

Perhaps you should study some about pyschology and the paths from minds that are not yet totally pyschotic toward the process of real mental breakdown, and you wouldn't call it crap.  I have undertaken that study, albeit many years ago in college, and the process hasn't changed since.

Like many, you want a simple answer - ban the guns.  As I said previously, I'm in favor of the assault weapons ban.  But the weapon of choice will simply change.  Timothy McVeigh killed dozens, including many children with a truck full of fertilizer and diesel fuel - do you want to ban those products?

Read about the school massacre in Bath, Michigan in 1927 when a deranged man blew up a school with dynamite and killed something like 38 people, mostly kids - the worst school massacre of all time in the U.S.  Pyschopaths will always find a way to carry out their evil intents.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #107 - 12/19/12 at 08:00:13

i am losing my desire to ride- Drifter

Already lost mine, and it was one of the few things I truly enjoyed. I have ZERO interest in riding in the county I live in. Heavily armed drunk/stoned driving blacks and hispanics, almost no law enforcement on the roads (too busy responding to all the black on everybody crime calls), zero respect for the rules of the road by most people born/raised/taught to drive here. Don't let me get started on the black "riding clubs" in the local area... if they are on the road EVERYBODY goes elsewhere. They give motorcyclists around here a really bad name, if you are on a cruiser or sport bike, you WILL be hassled by the police.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #108 - 12/19/12 at 08:12:39

Odd feelings, but unfortunately, my desire to ride has waned for different reasons.
I haven't had my S40 out of storage since I put it away for the winter in November, 2010 - I didn't ride at all in 2011 nor in 2012.
But my story is unusual - I didn't ride at all for 40 years from 1968 thru 2007.  In 2008 I thought I'd try it again, and went searching for a bike that wasn't too expensive, since this was to be an experiment to see if I really wanted to ride again, but yet find a bike with modern performance over the little bikes I rode in the1960s.  Hence I bought a fairly new S40, two years old at the time.
Frankly, I didn't really enjoy it all that much.  Traffic now is so much heavier than in the 60s, back then there were almost no freeways, and the few times I rode on a freeway on the S40 I was very uncomfortable at speed, so close to other vehicles.  Of course, being at bit more mature now at age 66 than I was at age 22 makes a bit of difference too.
My plan is to see if I get the bug back at all this upcoming spring, and if not, to sell the S40.
Coupled with other issues, like weather, make it impractical for any meaningful transportation use.  I used to ride it to and from the airport, or the office on nice days.  Even then, something would interfere - someone would want to go have a drink after work, and I'd have to refuse, as I won't ride after even one beer.
How did we get off onto this subject?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #109 - 12/19/12 at 09:11:16

Starlifter wrote on 12/18/12 at 23:31:32:
Has technology rendered the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution obsolete?

Yes.

Has the application of modern military design to civilian firearms produced a class of weapons too dangerous to be in general circulation?

Yes.

And there is a class called Destructive Devices.
This is why people don't run around carrying XM134 mini guns or Mk19 40mm grenade launchers.
There are better weapons out there which are, believe me, restricted to civilians.

I play Call of Duty. Actually it took Black Ops to get me into the rest of them but I've since played all of them on PS3.
I'm not going out and shooting up the neighborhood.

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #110 - 12/19/12 at 10:46:10

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/19/12 at 06:09:48:
Srinath -

Perhaps you should study some about pyschology and the paths from minds that are not yet totally pyschotic toward the process of real mental breakdown, and you wouldn't call it crap.  I have undertaken that study, albeit many years ago in college, and the process hasn't changed since.

Like many, you want a simple answer - ban the guns.  As I said previously, I'm in favor of the assault weapons ban.  But the weapon of choice will simply change.  Timothy McVeigh killed dozens, including many children with a truck full of fertilizer and diesel fuel - do you want to ban those products?

Read about the school massacre in Bath, Michigan in 1927 when a deranged man blew up a school with dynamite and killed something like 38 people, mostly kids - the worst school massacre of all time in the U.S.  Pyschopaths will always find a way to carry out their evil intents.

Dude I know psychopaths will do this and that ... but all of that will take time and work and effort and cause less and less damage as they get less elaborate. Guns do not require any of it. You dont need brains, you dont need effort, you dont need to put in any bloody thought ... McVeigh was not just a insane loner, he was a very motivated and anti big government activist. He is a terrorist, not a nutcase.

If we were to have no guns at all, these fools will ahve gone on a baseball bat rampage, or a knife rampage or a chicken leg rampage ... killed 1-2-3 and wounded 3-4-5 ... the 1927 guy and Timothy McVeigh will ahve still done what they did.

Its not a simple answer or a simple solution, its the quickest step to ponder the other failings of our society. Yes we will have rampages, the rampages will just have a smaller body count.

Seriously though, I think we just need to plaster the news with "The following massacre has been made possible with the help of the NRA, smith and wesson and your local gun dealer".

Dont tie acts of terror to gun ownership.
Dont tie mental illness to gun ownership.
Dont change 1 rule wait 3 weeks and say that didn't work.

With 150 years of lobbying, maybe every 3-4 months we will have a 30-40 body pile. Maybe that is what freedom is. That maybe what the NRA is all about.

The only thing that a fool can use to kill several 100 people in a few seconds inside a building is a gun, Yea yea he can plow into them with a car but not inside a building. Say anything you want, yes we can poison people and kill 100, and you can even kill them by poking them in the eye wiht a pencil. Yes ... but 30 in 30 sec with no effort or brains - only a gun my friend.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #111 - 12/19/12 at 10:50:19

Guess you discount all of the bombings in India, Iraq, Israel, Afgan, Lebanon, etc. as effective ways to kill dozens of people at once?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #112 - 12/19/12 at 10:57:41

BTW there is 3 cops in my sons school every morning, presumably they would be there through the day ... I think.

That should put a nice little dent in the "cut government spending" mantra of the right wing that Obama will get blamed for.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #113 - 12/19/12 at 11:01:26

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/19/12 at 10:50:19:
Guess you discount all of the bombings in India, Iraq, Israel, Afgan, Lebanon, etc. as effective ways to kill dozens of people at once?

Terrorists and a well funded and motivated organisation is behind them, not a loner with a loose screw.

Spend enough $$$ and you can kill as many people as you want ...

Spend 20 bucks and kill 27 in 30 seconds - unparalleled efficiency per dollar and per second my friend.

Brought to you courtesy of the NRA and Bushman's special design AR15 now with the "retard" grip and trigger ... so even a retard can kill as effectively as a combat trained soldier ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #114 - 12/19/12 at 11:09:34

You can use car to kill people, or a baseball bat, or a pencil, or rat poison...
... but they do have an intended purpose...

You can use an assault weapon to hunt turkey, or scare an intruder, or as a bottle opener if you want...
... but it does have an intended purpose...
It's intended purpose is not legitimate for civilians in a civilized country .... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #115 - 12/19/12 at 11:32:22

Serowbot -

No argument,,my Friend.  As I have repeatedly said, military assault weapons should not be in civilian hands, except maybe in very limited circumstances, such as no auto fire, small magazines, and bona fide collectors who may own them.
For instance, one of my good friends, whom I've known well from high school thru our 60s, has an M-16 , completely licensed and legal, as a sovenior of our time spent in a land far, far away and a long time ago.  I have no isssue with an individual such as he owning this weapon.  I think the auto fire is disabled too.
But that's an isolated instance - otherwise, no ordinary person is justified in owning one.
Personally, my home defense weapon is a shotgun.  When a burglar or other bad guy hears that distinctive sound of racking a round into the chamber, only the craziest fof fools won't beat a hasty retreat.
My wife uses the Webley .380 because she still, at age 64, has 20/15 vision and in the middle of the night, will hit what she intends to hit.  For me and until I get my glasses on, the shotgun will do just fine - it's all I need.
And, we're empty nesters.  We have no grandchildren or other kids ever in our house.  If grandchildren come some day, then the guns get locked up.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #116 - 12/19/12 at 12:45:23

And, just like that, we have glazed over the NRA enabled, Bushmaster sponsored pile of bodies.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #117 - 12/19/12 at 12:50:41

How many times do I have to say the same thing - I support an assualt weapons ban.  Get it?  Now since neither of us is a Congressman, and therefore not able to take immediate action, do you still want to just repeat the same thing, over and over again?

I listened to some of Obama's press conference at noon in the restaurant where I had lunch.  If he does what he said, it sounded quite reasonable.  Unfortunately I didn't get to hear the first part of the press conference.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #118 - 12/19/12 at 15:49:39

Do you even know what constitutes an "assault weapon"?
I'll quote it by the book and then I'll add my own critiques in red.

Attributes previously defined in assault weapon legislation and their purposes:

Detachable magazines
[/color]

Collapsible stocks
[color=#ff0000]Because if could make the rifle, at your leisure, up to 5 or 6 inches shorter.
Realistically if you had to carry it in a tight space or for comfort if you were switching between shooters. Like handlebars

Pistol grips
If you're holding something capable of causing great risk or injury to yourself or others you shouldn't have a pistol grip because you might have better control over the weapon. They are said to "(on rifles) reduce the angle (and thus rotational strain) of the wrist, are popular with physically-impaired shooters who cannot hold a stock with a more traditional angle."

Grenade launcher
I can be reasonable and actually agree that grenade launchers are not necessary

Bayonet mounts are often on civilian firearms due to the same parts being used on both government and civilian rifles
Because stabbing someone with a gun is way more deadly than plain old boring stabbing

Flash suppressors
Because you and anyone around you should be rendered flash blind after each round

Threaded barrels
mount flash suppressors, compensators and muzzle brakes

A barrel shroud
This is "a tube around the barrel designed to limit transfer of heat from the barrel to the supporting hand, or to protect a shooter from being burned by accidental contact."
Again, the last thing you'd want is a firm grip /end sarcasm

Magazines greater than 10 rounds
I already posted a speed reload video. Unless you're going to outlaw the number of magazines I can have there is no difference if I have a 100 round drum or 10x 10 round magazines. Except my Betamax drum jams all the time.

Semi-automatic, functionality meaning that they can eject spent shell casings and chamber the next round without additional human action, but (as opposed to automatic firearms) only one round is fired per pull of the trigger.
Every gun, even revolvers, except bolt action rifles and black powder muskets

Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
Not having arm fatigue is dangerous

The United States Department of Justice National Institute of Justice found should the ban be renewed, its effects on gun violence would likely be small, and perhaps too small for reliable measurement, because rifles in general, including rifles referred to as "assault rifles" or "assault weapons", are rarely used in gun crimes.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studied the "assault weapon" ban and other gun control attempts, and found "insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness of any of the firearms laws reviewed for preventing violence." A 2004 critical review of research on firearms by a National Research Council panel also noted that academic studies of the assault weapon ban "did not reveal any clear impacts on gun violence" and noted "due to the fact that the relative rarity with which the banned guns were used in crime before the ban ... the maximum potential effect of the ban on gun violence outcomes would be very small...."

That study by Christopher S. Koper, Daniel J. Woods, and Jeffrey A. Roth of the Jerry Lee Center of Criminology, University of Pennsylvania found no statistically significant evidence that either the assault weapons ban or the ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds had reduced gun murders. However, they concluded that it was "premature to make definitive assessments of the ban's impact on gun crime," and argue that if the ban had been in effect for more than nine years, benefits might have begun to appear.

Research by John Lott in the 2000 second edition of More Guns, Less Crime provided the first research on state and the Federal Assault Weapon Bans. The 2010 third edition provided the first empirical research on the 2004 sunset of the Federal Assault Weapon Ban. Generally, the research found no impact of these bans on violent crime rates, though the third edition provided some evidence that Assault Weapon Bans slightly increased murder rates. Lott's book The Bias Against Guns provided evidence that the bans reduced the number of gun shows by over 20 percent. Koper, Woods, and Roth studies focus on gun murders, while Lott's looks at murder, rape, robbery, and aggravated assaults. Unlike their work, Lott's research accounted for state Assault Weapon Bans and 12 other different types of gun control laws.

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence examined the impact of the Assault Weapons Ban in its 2004 report, On Target: The Impact of the 1994 Federal Assault Weapon Act. Examining 1.4 million guns involved in crime, "in the five-year period before enactment of the Federal Assault Weapons Act (1990-1994), assault weapons named in the Act constituted 4.82% of the crime gun traces ATF conducted nationwide. Since the law’s enactment, however, these assault weapons have made up only 1.61% of the guns ATF has traced to crime."[14] A spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) stated that he "can in no way vouch for the validity" of the report.

...and now here's a video of guns killing people:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zQ83fhKQ0M

--Steve

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #119 - 12/19/12 at 16:58:31

Screw all that, since guns stop gun violence, for every gun assault, the people who atr in the same class as the potential victims ... like say the massacre was @ a theater - you should be able to get a free gun upon producing a moive stub.

I dont think there is a "reasonable" stand on guns ... ban all the suckers except the ones that are 5ft long. Yea I can understand you need to kill that deer or the intruder (to say nothing of the savage or the vulcan) ... so a 5ft gun works just fine for that, and screw them all.
Dont make bullets, dont make magazines, just ban all the suckers ... except for cops and soldiers ...

Screw all this, Like I said, 27 dead people a month, yea the price for freedom ... may be we need to put in a inflation adjustment, and a population adjustment.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 19:55:35

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.