Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print
Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children. (Read 1880 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.
12/14/12 at 18:29:37

Here we go again.

Now watch the NRA claim that if these kids had guns this wouldn't have happened. Fox News will be defending the shooter.

We have cracked down on library books, cell phones, fertilizer, wearing shoes at airports, fireworks, animal control...but guns?? GUNS are sacred, and so anyone, and I mean ANYONE has the right to carry firearms anywhere, anytime, anyplace, and for any reason in America.

let me say there is no such things as "gun rights". There are gun privileges, just like driving a motor vehicle is a privileg...

The second amendment is a relic of our colonial days...some day when this country matures, we will realize that. But for now we are at the mercy of the NRA, cowardly politicians, and many people with an unhealthy fetish.

Gun "privileges" mean:  Regulated - Controled or supervised by means of rules, training, and regulations. No more gun shows with people selling fully automatic firearms out of the trunks of their cars.

Gun owners should be trained professionally, as you've seen over and over what happens when guns are not respected.

Why would you even think that just anyone can run out and stockpile weapons and ammo without proving some kind of responsibility?

The second amendment spoke only of a "Well  Regulated Militia". That was the intent in colonial times. In colonial times they all had to attend a monthly drill. All firearm owners were members of the local militia.

So you want to be part of the militia? By all means, what part of ORGANIZED, in the words, do you not understand?

Sooner or later people in this country WILL DEMAND change...I'd start with licensing every gun owner, requiring a waiting period, a background check, and a number of hours of training.

Fire away at me, (as I know the stupid will do)...gun rights fetishists are impossible to talk to...oh and before you say it, you all know that I AM a gun owner, a retired federal LEO with over 40 years of carrying on the job, and range training every three months....I just don't buy into the paranoia of "gun nuts" that they are going to come and take my precious guns away...for starters they are not precious, and secondly stop listening to the fund raising paranoia of the NRA..in my opinion a despicable right-wing domestic terrorist organization.

Did you notice that every this happens, someone invariably suggests that everyone should be armed. Just what we need . Everyone pulling out their guns and shooting at the same time ...

It's of course no use. Nobody in our federal government is going to cross the NRA. The NRA wants to arm EVERYBODY, crazies included .

There were 10,750 gun deaths in the USA this past year. That's roughly five times the number of people killed on 9/11...God Bless America".

By contrast In Canada there were 52 gun deaths (most of them in hunting accidents). And eight people were killed in Great Briton...Shame on this country...at times like this it is embarrassing to be an American.

If your first reaction to this shooting spree is to think "Oh Sh!t"...Obama/liberals are going to try to "take/grab our guns", your priorities as a human being are sick.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.
Reply #1 - 12/14/12 at 20:09:20

If your first reaction to this shooting spree is to think "Oh Sh!t"...Obama/liberals are going to try to "take/grab our guns", your priorities as a human being are sick

I think you're the only one who would think that's what someone's first thought would be so look in the mirror sicko.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/14/12 at 20:16:56

There are hundreds of millions of guns in the US. No gun law or ammo law is going to work now. That toothpaste is out of the tube. Stop chasing rabbits. If you could wave a magic wand and make all the guns disappear, okay fine, but you can't do that. Guns are everywhere. We focused on guns after columbine and we got what? Other columbines.
I have no easy answer, but listening to network news anchors and publicity hungry politicians demand more gun laws is not an answer even worth discussing right now.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 12/14/12 at 20:22:58

No other option, we're gonna have to arm every 3-4 and 5 year old with 6 shot pistols and from 6 on they get a semi automatic.

Only option, we cant spend $$ on safety net and support style programs that will help the people on the edge slowly back away from that edge, and we cant stop guns or bullets from flying. The cheapest option, which the repugs will agree to, just hand every kid that walks into a school a gun.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 12/14/12 at 20:42:34

I think we should respectfully bow our heads in shared sorrow for all those who died and lost loved ones in CT.  It is not appropriate to discuss political isssues such as gun control at this time (and lets face it, this is hardley a rare occurance anymore).  If there is ever a break in this ongoing madness, then let us discuss gun control.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #5 - 12/14/12 at 21:29:35

You had me till you started name calling everyone who has a different opinion.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/14/12 at 22:18:31

over 32,000 auto deaths (2011) 3 times the stat you quote for gun deaths
driving is a privielage,its licensed,regulated,taxed etc. but people still die

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 12/14/12 at 22:34:51

Mentally ill and used his mother's guns, not his own since he legally could not have them, underage and, I'll repeat, mentally ill.

Gun or no gun, he was going on a killing spree. There was a report out of China today, same thing, but a knife instead of a gun, dead is dead. In the middle east it would be a bomb instead of a gun. And since you can download all kinds if improvised weapons and explosives recipes (not to mention nerve agent recipes)... he'd have found a way.

Will there be some form of token "gun amnesty" like California had when so called assault weapons were banned? Quite likely. Will a federal version work better than the state one did? Nope. That horse left the barn in the 1860s.

Do I have a "lot" of guns? I don't know, most of them are collector pieces made before WW2. A couple are 100% exempt as antiques (pre-1898) others are exempt based on being black powder (no background check or registration required, per federal regulations).

Would a trained armed teacher or campus security officer have made a difference? We'll never know, they follow the federal and state gun free zone regulations.

So, since gun control or lack there of is a moot point, why don't we just step back, think about those families, and maybe, just maybe, take a look at our own lives and see if something is a bit "off". The shooter got that way for a reason, most likely a treatable or preventable reason...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 12/14/12 at 22:59:32

"over 32,000 auto deaths (2011) 3 times the stat you quote for gun deaths
driving is a privielage,its licensed,regulated,taxed etc. but people still die"

...and your point is??

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 12/14/12 at 23:22:29

Starlifter wrote on 12/14/12 at 22:59:32:
"over 32,000 auto deaths (2011) 3 times the stat you quote for gun deaths
driving is a privielage,its licensed,regulated,taxed etc. but people still die"

...and your point is??

regulations dont stop people from dying

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 12/15/12 at 06:04:23

So, since gun control or lack there of is a moot point, why don't we just step back, think about those families, and maybe, just maybe, take a look at our own lives and see if something is a bit "off". The shooter got that way for a reason, most likely a treatable or preventable reason...

an excellent point WD. There are millions and millions of guns in homes around this country. It would be interesting to add up the number of guns people on this forum have in their homes. I have three. Gun control in the sense that it could prevent things like this from happening is a pipe dream. However, reaching out to someone who may feel isolated is not a pipe dream. Everyone of us can do that today. One kind word can make all the difference to someone struggling with thoughts in their heads they know are not right, but are powerless to stop.

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #11 - 12/15/12 at 06:26:16

Wake up and smell the coffee America - and the brew is gun control.

Worrying about the state of society is all very well but a red herring - there will always be wackos and psychopaths and people who get mentally ill. In London they lose it and stab someone - in America they shoot dozens of people. The difference? Access to guns.

Any stuff about toothpaste is not thinking about the way laws have always curbed human behaviour - it doesn't have to be a blanket ban to have some positive effect, it can be gradual. Tighten up your laws from now on and move in the right direction.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 12/15/12 at 07:56:47

arteacher wrote on 12/15/12 at 07:29:49:
Trippah wrote on 12/14/12 at 20:42:34:
I think we should respectfully bow our heads in shared sorrow for all those who died and lost loved ones in CT.  It is not appropriate to discuss political isssues such as gun control at this time (and lets face it, this is hardley a rare occurance anymore).  If there is ever a break in this ongoing madness, then let us discuss gun control.

you are right about bowing our heads, but there is no better time to discuss gun control, as when the horror of something like this is fresh.

Not if you ask the gun nuts ... "gun control is hitting your target man" ...

I cant even discuss this, We need to clamp down on guns, bullets, and everything else that is a weapon of mass murder. Without a gun he'd have gone on a knife rampage, or a baseball bat rampage, or a cabbage rampage ...

That means 2 people dead 5 injured maximum ... cant stop people from going berserk, we can limit the damage. BTW it took 150+ years to get here, it may well take us 150 years to get back If we go in that direction.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/15/12 at 08:25:20

All the shootings in the past year have one thing in common, the shooters were mentally ill! We as a people had better address the mental health of this nation, it is still thought of as taboo to have a family member mentally ill, mental facilities are always the first cuts to budgets, and recognition of mentally unstable people is non-existent. Many times the person is ignored, pushed to the side, or looked at as somebody elses problem. Meanwhile treatment centers become harder to find, and treatment itself gets cutdown to handing out pills...

If you own a gun and have a family member, or friend that shows signs of mental illness, secure your guns! Don't think "Oh he's Ok, just a little strange." protect him/her and those around him/her..

60% of this nations prisons are the mentally ill! Think about it, a gun is just a tool, if not a gun, it would be a bomb, a machete, or like in denver a can of gasoline...

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 12/15/12 at 08:30:22

It is times like this that our emotions may get the best of us.
I for one am not for taking all our guns. I don't believe that is the answer.
Remember they tried with prohobition. That didn't stop people from attaing alcohol, nor would it prevent ones from attaing guns.
Exactly what is the answer?
Enjoy every precious moment with your loved ones..
Life is precious and as we all know, it can end in a blink of an eye.
Peace and love to all. kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 04:53:36

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Associated Press: 27 Dead, 20 Are Children.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.