Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quick carb question (Read 70 times)
strang

london
quick carb question
11/08/12 at 04:40:20

Am about to replace my main jet - taking the stock one out I notice it has a brass washer that is a bit too big for purpose and may have been added on by PO or mechanic. Is this washer necessary? My new jet didn't come with one so just wondered whether this is someone's attempt to stop it backfiring  Grin

IMG-20121108-00415.jpg
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Re: quick carb question
Reply #1 - 11/08/12 at 05:02:26

'a' washer is necessary from what i've read....something looks rather wonky with that config though.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 11/08/12 at 05:06:46

misterbbq wrote on 11/08/12 at 05:02:26:
'a' washer is necessary from what i've read....something looks rather wonky with that config though.

A washer is OEM in many cases, but mine does not have one.
So it is not necessary,......considering my bike runs fantastically Wink

What does the washer do ? Does it change the flow rate....even worth mentioning ? I believe the washer is for the same purpose of most any other washer,....to elliminate the chance of either surface galling, and to making removal easier,...same thing.

I remember that my washerless main jet was very tight !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #3 - 11/08/12 at 06:05:19

interesting.  i remember reading a few threads of poor running bikes after jetting and the first question was always 'did you put the washer underneath the new main jet'.

sometimes they 'stick' in the channel where the jet comes out of so folks don't even know they're there.

in any case....since it's not too tough to get to it, i'd say run without it for a bit and then put it back in there (assuming that one fits into the channel) and see what the difference, if any, is.

and report back to us lol.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/08/12 at 07:14:34

As I understand it, the jet is not big enough to engage the main tube and keep the emulsifier from sliding up.  Hence the oversized washer.

leave out the washer and you sometimes get flooding problems if your emulsifier fits loose.  Usually, they're pretty tight.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 11/08/12 at 07:32:43

The emulsion tube slides up for removal.....the washer is necessary to keep it held down in carb body.  If the emulsion tube starts to move up, it will run lean as the slide needle is tapered and less fuel will flow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:21:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › quick carb question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.