Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Why get a 36mm carb instead of a 40mm? (Read 1020 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Re: Why get a 36mm carb instead of a 40mm?
Reply #45 - 01/28/20 at 07:26:48

Today I received a recommendation for flatslide TM38 or even TM40 over any of the round slide VM-carburetors and they also explained to me that a too small carb could actually cause worse fuel economy than a larger carb which I did not know.

Has anyone used a Mikuni TM-series carburetor on their Savage?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 01/28/20 at 07:55:18

The stock carb is a 40mm carb with obstruction... the throttle plate down stream of the slide.

If you're looking for similar performance to stock, then a TM38 would be appropriate.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #47 - 01/28/20 at 09:33:06

If I want to keep the airbox and paper or foam stock like filter, would any of these carbs 36mm round slides or flat slides do much of anything better than the stocker ?

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 01/28/20 at 09:45:45

They would go slow real good... if that's what you want to do.

WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #49 - 01/28/20 at 10:05:30

verslagen1 wrote on 01/28/20 at 09:45:45:

LOL, I asked cos I got them lying about somewhere - these things that had an acrylic float bowl. I actually have a few of em things here and there, I think one was a virago 2 into 1 intake idea, ofcourse I sold the virago so that took care of that.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #50 - 01/28/20 at 11:48:39

srinath wrote on 01/28/20 at 10:05:30:
verslagen1 wrote on 01/28/20 at 09:45:45:

LOL, I asked cos I got them lying about somewhere - these things that had an acrylic float bowl. I actually have a few of em things here and there, I think one was a virago 2 into 1 intake idea, ofcourse I sold the virago so that took care of that.

Cool.
Srinath.

Not saying they wouldn't work, just where you would be at 1/4 to half throttle on a stock savage you will be full throttle with those.

WWW   IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 05/13/20 at 01:02:32

So here we go again. Please indulge an Aussie Wink
I have a 2016 S40 with the stock BS40 and a dyna muffler.
I've changed up the main jet and performed the spacer mod and that has improved things as far as WOT and top speed.
I've been thinking about fitting a VM36 or a VM38 after reading all about Lancers kit people have been using with great results.
I live in Australia and well to be honest I'm kinda better off buying locally.
I've made some enquiries to a well known Mikuni dealer and asked him about fitting a VM and what jets/jet kit may be required along with adapters for the existing airbox and manifold to the engine etc including a cabling solution.
The guy does know his stuff.
However his recommendation is to use a flat slide TM40-6 pumper as he says that if the savage engine is similar to the DR650 (which i understand it aint!) then this would be a better bolt on option.
After reading this thread I my doubts on his recommendations.
Not to mention the price difference is significant in the kits on offer.
I am after the best bang for buck option which i agree seems to be the VM.
My confusion lays with what adapters to use for the carb to the engine and to the standard air box along with the cable and throttle to use.
I understand needles and tuning are the most interesting part of any carb mod and i am looking forward to that part
I just need a few pointers and I'm hoping that there might even be some Aussies that may have done something similar.
Thanks for your time and patience in advance  Grin

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #52 - 05/13/20 at 01:24:13

I find it interesting that a Swedish dealer and an Australian deealer both recommend the TM40 over the VM carbs. I doubt this is a coincidence and they may have good reason for their recommendations. I often like to try unconventional solutions but in this case I think it is worth to listen to those with more experience. Personally I think I will try a TM-carb when/if I choose to replace the original carb but first I need to get my bike together since it is all over the workshop right now.

IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 05/13/20 at 02:32:55

He's told me that i would need to find out if the DR650 BST40 stocke needles are all the same as the stock LS650 BS40 carbs needles.
He advised that if the same then he would have no issues in putting together a needle kit that would allow me to tune the TM40-6 without issues for the S40...
I'm hoping for lots of input.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #54 - 05/13/20 at 03:30:44

If using a new 36mm VM you will need to change the pilot and main jets, a new rubber mounting flange and a custom throttle cable to match your throttle assembly attachment  and VM carb attachment.  Finding a rubber tube to connect a VM to the stock air box is possible (I found one once in a building supply store/plumbing sect.).  That was years ago.
This is a minimum just to function.
If you would like details on parts send me a PM

IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 05/13/20 at 03:53:10

Thanks Lancer Smiley
I'll send you a PM very soon.
I appreciate it!

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #56 - 05/13/20 at 04:05:41

Psydton3 wrote on 05/13/20 at 01:02:32:
So here we go again. Please indulge an Aussie Wink
I have a 2016 S40 with the stock BS40 and a dyna muffler.
I've changed up the main jet and performed the spacer mod and that has improved things as far as WOT and top speed.
I've been thinking about fitting a VM36 or a VM38 after reading all about Lancers kit people have been using with great results.
I live in Australia and well to be honest I'm kinda better off buying locally.
I've made some enquiries to a well known Mikuni dealer and asked him about fitting a VM and what jets/jet kit may be required along with adapters for the existing airbox and manifold to the engine etc including a cabling solution.
The guy does know his stuff.
However his recommendation is to use a flat slide TM40-6 pumper as he says that if the savage engine is similar to the DR650 (which i understand it aint!) then this would be a better bolt on option.
After reading this thread I my doubts on his recommendations.
Not to mention the price difference is significant in the kits on offer.
I am after the best bang for buck option which i agree seems to be the VM.
My confusion lays with what adapters to use for the carb to the engine and to the standard air box along with the cable and throttle to use.
I understand needles and tuning are the most interesting part of any carb mod and i am looking forward to that part
I just need a few pointers and I'm hoping that there might even be some Aussies that may have done something similar.
Thanks for your time and patience in advance  Grin

Comparing DR650 to LS650 is where the problem comes in. The DR650 cam and head is completely different. I would be careful listening to recommendations from someone who doesn’t know the difference.

IP Logged
Psydton3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 05/13/20 at 04:59:05

"Comparing DR650 to LS650 is where the problem comes in. The DR650 cam and head is completely different. I would be careful listening to recommendations from someone who doesn’t know the difference."
Thanks for good advice mate.
He was more about matching (in his opinion) a more "modern" performance carburetor than a VM.
He just wasn't sure what needles were going to be needed for the flat slide in this application, but he said he's done a lot of DR650's and they tend to run leaner.
SO if the two carby's and engines were similar then he'd know what to look at supplying.
Honeslty though his solution is pretty cost prohibitive, so a VM definitely looks like a better solution...i'll get there

IP Logged
Dennisgb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maplewood MN
Reply #58 - 05/13/20 at 08:59:10

Psydton3 wrote on 05/13/20 at 04:59:05:
SO if the two carby's and engines were similar then he'd know what to look at supplying.

But they are similar in displacement only. The DR650 is 48 HP while the SL650 is a mere 30HP. The DR650 gains much of this extra HP because it breathes better. The SL650 is very restricted in breathing particularly due to restrictions in the exhaust port. Other here can give you more info than I can but if your restricted a larger carb will do nothing but cause you problems.

That is why many of the forum members try to do everything they can to improve flow because there is a lot of untapped HP but to get to it you need more than a bigger carb.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #59 - 05/13/20 at 16:08:03

Psydton, I think the 40mm carb will work fine and allow potential for more improvements in the future.  But if you want a quick and easy route to improved carburetion, you will be hard pressed to beat the Mikuni VM.  I personally think the VM38 is ideal.  The VM36 might work just a tad better on a stock engine, but the VM38 will work great too and it will also support most any mods you perform in the future.  This post will give you a good idea how the VM38 stacks up, and also give you a good idea where your jetting will end up.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1585461605

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 02:16:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why get a 36mm carb instead of a 40mm?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.