Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Why get a 36mm carb instead of a 40mm? (Read 1015 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Why get a 36mm carb instead of a 40mm?
11/08/12 at 01:06:11

The more and more I look around, the more and more I realize that a 36mm should just be too small for a 650cc bike. 36mm carbs are on 400cc 4-strokes and 250cc 2-strokes. I even saw a 36mm flat-slide on a 125 smoker. 650cc is over 50% bigger than a 400 - so why exactly should I be using a carb that's the same size?

I'm about the drop the hammer on a carb right this second but I'm really thinking it's the TM40 I should be getting - not the TM36. Unless someone can make a real good argument, I may just have to get the 40.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Why get a 36mm carb instead of a 40mm?
Reply #1 - 11/08/12 at 03:39:05

Seeing how I don't get alot of free time for riding I haven't jumped into modding or even researching towards performance upgrades, I'd rather be riding then wrenching at this point. But it would be nice to hear what some of the folks who have done performance mods have to say on this Mike.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/08/12 at 04:12:27

A 36 or even smaller would work on this low tech low HP engine and get better mileage. For a larger carb to work as intended you need more air flow higher lift and longer duration cam, open exhaust and more rpm,higher compresion.  At lower rpm a big carb does not work as well as a smaller one due to the venturi effect and fuel atomization.

This engine already has a very short intake, a large carb would just make this worse. Small and long intake runners produce more torque along with small diameter header pipes.

I cant see much advantage of a big carb on this engine without lots of expensive mods....i have a ninja that takes care of my need for speed.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 11/08/12 at 04:28:46

Don't care about your Ninja and it's a no-brainer that a smaller carb will offer greater fuel economy - it's like someone putting a throttle-stop on your bike. Can't use more gas if you can't get it in the bike. And low-tech doesn't have anything to do with how much air an engine draws in. Didn't answer my question at all. If anything, you made an argument in favor of a larger carb.

Suzuki DRZ400 has a 39mm carb if anyone was curious...

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/08/12 at 04:52:04

Did you read what i said....look up the basics of an ICE, what i said was correct. If you want to go fast get another bike, wanting speed from this bike is like cutting steak with a butter knife....far better tools for the job.

If you did not want opinions why ask the question? No reason to be rude to someone answering your question.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 11/08/12 at 04:52:17

Cavi,  Lancer is the man to talk to.  He has tried all sorts and sizes of carbs on the Savage.  I can't find the post right now but he was saying the at least in the round slide style carbs thee 36mm was the best performer.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/08/12 at 05:02:19

The carb needs to be sized to work with the engine.  This includes port size, valve size, cam duration and lift, exhaust flow, etc.  If you have an engine that flow lots of air - then it can use a larger carb.

The Savage has a very mild cam, relatively small ports and valves, a restrictive exhaust system, mild compression, and it is designed to run smoothly at cruising speeds.  This means that the air flow is relatively low most of the time, and a smaller carb is better because the airflow through the smaller carb is at a high enough speed to create a nice vacuum and pull fuel out of the jets well.

If you put too big of a carb on without making other changes to improve the flow of air through the engine - then the speed of air flow through the carb becomes low and the carb does not work well atomizing or metering the fuel at low throttle settings.  The carb may work well when the engine is revved up - but that is not where the cam, valves, ports, exhaust are designed to work well on the Savage.  Too big of a carb....and you will end up with an engine that runs badly until you have the engine running at full speed.  It will be a very frustrating bike to ride.

With a stock engine the 36mm is supposed to be best, and with modificaitons you can move up to a 38mm.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 11/08/12 at 05:12:46

Drifter wrote on 11/08/12 at 04:52:04:
Did you read what i said....look up the basics of an ICE, what i said was correct. If you want to go fast get another bike, wanting speed from this bike is like cutting steak with a butter knife....far better tools for the job.

If you did not want opinions why ask the question? No reason to be rude to someone answering your question.

Who said I want to go fast? You said that, not me. Just because one isn't looking for speed doesn't mean they should put a small carb on their bike. I did read what you said and you're arguing a point not relevant to this topic. And as I said, you didn't answer my question because you answered a question you made up.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 11/08/12 at 06:11:56

Drifter wrote on 11/08/12 at 04:12:27:
A 36 or even smaller would work on this low tech low HP engine and get better mileage. For a larger carb to work as intended you need more air flow higher lift and longer duration cam, open exhaust and more rpm,higher compresion.  At lower rpm a big carb does not work as well as a smaller one due to the venturi effect and fuel atomization.

This engine already has a very short intake, a large carb would just make this worse. Small and long intake runners produce more torque along with small diameter header pipes.

I cant see much advantage of a big carb on this engine without lots of expensive mods....i have a ninja that takes care of my need for speed.

Kind of like buying a 100hp John Deere tractor and 20' bush hog to mow a 1/4 acre yard then......... The only way to make use of the extra  size and power is to expand the yard........by several acres  Grin !

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 11/08/12 at 07:38:08

This is simply a matter of matching flow rates.  The carb should flow just a little more than the max the motor would ever need.  All other considerations are just details.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 11/08/12 at 16:28:24

ZAR wrote on 11/08/12 at 06:11:56:
Kind of like buying a 100hp John Deere tractor and 20' bush hog to mow a 1/4 acre yard then......... The only way to make use of the extra  size and power is to expand the yard........by several acres  Grin !

Because wanting to maximize volumetric efficiency is EXACTLY like mowing your lawn! Didn't you know?!

*facepalm*

Thank you to Dave and Gyrobob. I think I'm gonna dig into the motor a little bit - most likely with a bunch of Lancer parts.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 11/09/12 at 05:37:25

Yep, it is about FLOW RATE.  
That is the name of the game.
The stock CV carb is designed for economy and minimal emissions, not performance.  Look down the throat of the CV carb ... what do you see ?
The mount end of the carb does have a 40mm ID but there is a butterfly valve in the way and beyond that the middle of the throat narrows Considerably, both of which impedes flow.  Then look down the throat of a VM carb and what do you see ?  It is wide open.  In both cases I've assumed that the slide is up and out of the way.  The slide in the CV is moved up only by engine vacuum which builds in a LAG in the response time.  The slide in a VM carb is moved directly by the throttle cable which enables faster response.
The difference is function, response and ultimate performance is dramatic.
That is why a 36mm VM with absolutely outperform a 40mm CV from idle to WOT.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 11/09/12 at 06:02:23

LANCER wrote on 11/09/12 at 05:37:25:
Yep, it is about FLOW RATE.  
That is the name of the game.
The stock CV carb is designed for economy and minimal emissions, not performance.  Look down the throat of the CV carb ... what do you see ?
The mount end of the carb does have a 40mm ID but there is a butterfly valve in the way and beyond that the middle of the throat narrows Considerably, both of which impedes flow.  Then look down the throat of a VM carb and what do you see ?  It is wide open.  In both cases I've assumed that the slide is up and out of the way.  The slide in the CV is moved up only by engine vacuum which builds in a LAG in the response time.  The slide in a VM carb is moved directly by the throttle cable which enables faster response.
The difference is function, response and ultimate performance is dramatic.
That is why a 36mm VM with absolutely outperform a 40mm CV from idle to WOT.

I agree,...  with a sense of awesome totalness.  I would speculate, though, that for a VM carb to be so responsive, getting the jetting (I made a rhyme, eh?) spot on is a perty big thang.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 11/09/12 at 06:12:04

Here's a 36mm VM carb on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Round-Slide-Series-Carburetor/dp/B000GZK7LG

The description says:

Bore Size : 36mm
Spigot Mount : 43mm
Main Jet : 310
Pilot Jet : 35
Needle Jet : Q-5
Throttle Valve : 2.5
Jet Needle : 6FJ6
Air Jet : 2.0

~ $100 seems like a reasonable price to be able to start with something factory new.

Is this a good place to start?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #14 - 11/09/12 at 08:44:02

I'm not willing to spend $100 on something that I know I'm going to want to change out shortly - it's not like I can get that money back. I also want a flat-slide. Most likely I'm going to get the TM40-6 pumper and start saving for Lancer's 97mm bore kit and cam.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 23:37:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why get a 36mm carb instead of a 40mm?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.