Send Topic Print
Big Johns Project (Read 1347 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Big Johns Project
Reply #15 - 11/17/12 at 03:23:41

Suzuki wont do it, Id bet, ohhh, but those Ryca guys mite,,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #16 - 11/17/12 at 06:42:20

Really like this bike, kind of retro without shouting. Tail light/backrest setup is very slick. Is that a bigger headlight as well?

Also: Note to anyone thinking of fabricating centre stands - I will buy  Smiley

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 11/17/12 at 06:51:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/17/12 at 03:23:41:

If they start making centerstand kits for Savages, it will cost $500.  I'm not saying anything negative about Casey or Ryan, it's just the reality of the costs of fabrication for something like this for lot sizes of five or so, twice a year.

The good news would be,... if you could find some way to come up with the moolah, a week later you'd have a lovely centerstand that would work correctly right out of the box.  The way they would engineer the kit, it'd probably take 30 minutes to install.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Big John
YaBB Newbies

Savage: the new Old
Brit!

Reply #18 - 11/17/12 at 08:07:18

I have also modified the suspension by lowering the front forks according to Ryca, and added 11 1/2 " shocks to replace the 10 1/2 " stock ones.  This lifted the rear of the bike a little.  Unfortunately, changes like that can easily affect the design of the center stand, possibly requiring modification.  If you have to take the work to a shop, be ready to take it back a few times to make changes needed to get the stand right. There is a lot of trial and error involved.  I don't know of any other way to get it right than by trial and error.  I used half a spool of welding wire and a couple of cutting wheels on my angle grinder fiddling around with it until I was satisfied.

I am pretty happy with it now, particularly as I did not have to weld to the bike frame.  It is entirely bolt-on.

Big John
  IP Logged
Big John
YaBB Newbies

Savage: the new Old
Brit!

Reply #19 - 11/17/12 at 08:24:31

I am glad you guys like my little creation.  I was going for a retro look (I grew up riding Brits in the 50s and 60s) without spending a lot of money.

I get lots of looks from folks.  They aren't sure what it is, and I have been questioned about it several times.  They are amazed when I tell them it is an '03.

The headlight is from a HD Fatboy, with a diamond lens setup.  The tail light is LED from a Chinese e-bay vendor.  I hate turn lights on stalks, so replaced those with smaller ones on the back.  They are built into the mirror arms on the front.  

I will probably put an 18" rear tire on it when I need to replace the current tire.  The fat rear tire does not look right on this bike, IMHO.

Big John
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 11/09/14 at 04:02:09

I added this build to the Bike Build Stickey......it was buried in the old RSD posts and a lot of folks may not have seen it.

I like the look, it takes some of cruiser look away from the bike and makes it look like an older style bike.  The larger headlight is a nice touch, and might be a good solution for all those looking for a better headlight with minimal modifications for the mount.  The handlebars also look good on the bike.

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 05/05/15 at 18:17:30

Great idea but that means Suzuki has to put more money into their bottom of the barrel, lowest priced cruiser. Ain't gonna happen! Your best bet is to con, uhhh, persuade a custom builder to produce them for us.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #22 - 05/05/15 at 19:57:51

Gyrobob wrote on 11/17/12 at 06:51:00:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/17/12 at 03:23:41:

If they start making centerstand kits for Savages, it will cost $500.  I'm not saying anything negative about Casey or Ryan, it's just the reality of the costs of fabrication for something like this for lot sizes of five or so, twice a year.

The good news would be,... if you could find some way to come up with the moolah, a week later you'd have a lovely centerstand that would work correctly right out of the box.  The way they would engineer the kit, it'd probably take 30 minutes to install.

There was a guy on Honda Rebel forum who made them in his home workshop for less than $100 for the Rebel
Nobody bought them
Most people today have no appreciation for center stands, they all have AAA bike towing
as a guy who remembers when a tow truck wouldn't touch a bike, I wish one was available
unfortunately, I don't weld, and don't cut that well

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:50:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Johns Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.