Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: The Projects.
Reply #1 - 11/02/12 at 19:31:43

Big John wrote on 11/02/12 at 13:48:09:

OK, I just wet myself a little looking at the center stand.

What is the story on that?

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 11/02/12 at 21:18:11

It looks pretty cool - that center stand - but I like being able to put my kick-stand down as I come to a stop so I can hop off my bike quick. I'm one of those guys that shuts off the car, pulls the e-brake and opens the door all at the same time and hops out, foot hitting the ground as the car stops moving. Same with my bikes. Turn off the gas, hit the kill switch, coast in with my foot on the stand and my hand on the keys. Soon as the bike stops...kick-stand down while hopping off turning the bars and pulling the keys. I'm always late to the fire that isn't lit.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 11/02/12 at 21:28:58

You will appreciate the center stand the first time that you have a flat tire along the road. Try removing a wheel using the kick stand out in the middle of no where.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 11/03/12 at 19:18:49

Cavi Mike wrote on 11/02/12 at 21:18:11:
It looks pretty cool - that center stand - but I like being able to put my kick-stand down as I come to a stop so I can hop off my bike quick. I'm one of those guys that shuts off the car, pulls the e-brake and opens the door all at the same time and hops out, foot hitting the ground as the car stops moving. Same with my bikes. Turn off the gas, hit the kill switch, coast in with my foot on the stand and my hand on the keys. Soon as the bike stops...kick-stand down while hopping off turning the bars and pulling the keys. I'm always late to the fire that isn't lit.

I'm wondering if the kick stand and the center stand necessarily have to be mutually exclusive.  Lookin' at the picture, apparently not......

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Big John
YaBB Newbies

Savage: the new Old
Brit!

Reply #5 - 11/04/12 at 07:15:50

Glad you like the center stand.  I had to do a lot of cutting and welding to get it right.  It was cut down from a Honda 450 stand I got from e-bay. Will provide more info later if you want it.  

Both stands can be used.  I have not had to do anything to the side stand.
They do not interfere.

Big John
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Big Johns Project
Reply #6 - 11/04/12 at 09:45:45

I'm one of those guys that shuts off the car, pulls the e-brake and opens the door all at the same time and hops out, foot hitting the ground as the car stops moving. Same with my bikes. Turn off the gas, hit the kill switch, coast in with my foot on the stand and my hand on the keys. Soon as the bike stops...kick-stand down while hopping off turning the bars and pulling the keys. I'm always late to the fire that isn't lit.

Yep, when Im riding with someone, as theyre stopping, my door is open, Im standing up, closing the door as theyre getting it in park. I move quickly, dont like stragglers. I walk at speeds no one stays with, always out in front. I have to walk back & join the group,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 11/04/12 at 18:47:58

Nice and clean John!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
irondad01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Osceola Mills, PA
Reply #8 - 11/07/12 at 14:41:09

Good job, John. I like the nice clean look.  Carl

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #9 - 11/08/12 at 06:11:43

yep, looks very streamlined.

i'd be tempted to lose the chrome header cover (or paint it matte black).  same for the chrome battery box.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #10 - 11/08/12 at 07:11:49

John, I want to know more about your center-stand.  I had asked about this topic a long time ago and no one seemed to think there was room for it.  Pics and instructions, please!

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/08/12 at 09:09:46

serenity3743 wrote on 11/08/12 at 07:11:49:
John, I want to know more about your center-stand.  I had asked about this topic a long time ago and no one seemed to think there was room for it.  Pics and instructions, please!

Thatr was me, I uhh "stand" corrected. Good lookin job there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Big John
YaBB Newbies

Savage: the new Old
Brit!

Reply #12 - 11/16/12 at 13:48:24

Here are some detailed pics of the center stand: https://picasaweb.google.com/101653396993695595304/Savage02?authkey=Gv1sRgCImEh4
mGqMOYuwE

I started with a sheet of 3/16th steel to which I welded "ears" for the shoulder bolt on which the stand pivots.  The steel plate bolts to the stock structure that used to mount the charcoal canister, but extends far enough forward to reach the engine cradle part of the frame. Since the structure to support the charcoal canister is lightweight, at the points where the frame contacts the plate, I made 2 steel pads to assure solid contact.  The bulk of the weight of the bike rests on these 2 pads.   The stand itself is from a Honda 450 which was way too tall for this application.  I cut it down to its current height, which is about 7 1/2 inches.  Also, at first the stand pivoted too far forward when it was down.  This made it very hard to push off the stand.  I added steel shims between the stand and the mounting plate until the stand pivoted slightly over center, not way over center.  The return spring is a return spring from a heavy duty truck brake shoe return spring assembly, and the spring pivot is on the bolt that holds the muffler mounting strut to the frame.  The spring can pivot on this mount.  When the stand is up, the ground clearance is about 4 1/2 inches.  The pedal for the stand is made from the old buckhorn handlebars.  After several tries, the bike in now pretty easy to get up onto the stand.  The pedal does most of the heavy lifting. The whole project cost me about $50 in materials including welding supplies.  If I counted my time, it would have been a lot more, but what else does an old geezer need his time for?  

The stand works well so far.  I plan to add an 18" back wheel eventually, but I don't think that will require much , if any, modification.  

033.JPG

Big John
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #13 - 11/16/12 at 17:22:40

I am with Digger and Serenity.  When I saw that center stand, all that I could feel was lust.  Now that I know that it can be done, (Lots of people have told me that the bike is too low for a center stand.)  I will not be able to rest until I figure out how to get one on my bike.  I am not handy with tools and such, so I will have to take the pics and description to someone else to do the work, but knowing that it can be done is half the battle.  Thank you so much.

« Last Edit: 11/16/12 at 18:30:15 by gerald.hughes »  
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #14 - 11/16/12 at 18:31:37

John, just an additional thought, why don't you send the pics to Suzuki, and see if they can produce a unit that can be purchased aftermarket as an accessory.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 00:02:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Big Johns Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.