Send Topic Print
Windshield placement (Read 117 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Windshield placement
10/25/12 at 08:17:32

I purchased a Slipstreamer S-00 Enterprise II for the fall/winter. I put risers on my handlebars so it doesn't seal against the headlight if I want hand protection. Should I lower the windshield to the headlight or put a tool bag on the bars to block that airflow? I am leaning towards the tool bag but am looking for opinions.

This is the one I bought:

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Windshield placement
Reply #1 - 10/25/12 at 08:21:09

Have you ridden it to see how it handles? You may need to adjust it some, get the slipstream hitting where ya want it, etc,, then see what you need in terms of sealing off places,, They can affect handling, so be careful.. mount a 1/2 sheet of plywood to your steering, add wind,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 10/25/12 at 09:28:17

I don't have a lot of adjustment. With my bars raised and tilted forward a little it is all I can do to keep the plexi off the master cylinder. I have ridden it. The wind that 'leaks' past the headlight hits my chin and face. I put a tool bag in there and went for a ride just now. It helped a bit. Now I feel the wind coming around the sides! Smiley I haven't done any highway riding yet, just up to 50mph and it seems to handle fine at those speeds. I will try jamming some more stuff in there to seal it up. I do like the wind off of my hands so I need to make it work this way.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #3 - 10/25/12 at 09:41:15

i've got the 06 model and put it on my '05 s40 with the drag bars.  VERY limited in where you can and can't put them and at the lowest setting they are nowhere near the headlight.

didn't notice a bunch of air coming through (didn't 'feel' it, etc.) but found it to be very noisy.  probably have to end up riding it, adjusting it, riding, adjusting, etc.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 10/25/12 at 10:29:21

Greg it may look a bit.......ah........"barnyard engineered" but I've seen guys roll up a towel and wedge it between the headlight and windshield to knock off the wind in winter.

It works good but if you're wanting to be "Billy Kool Cool"............... Roll Eyes

Anyway,just a thought!

edited for spelling
Larry

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 10/25/12 at 13:05:42

ZAR wrote on 10/25/12 at 10:29:21:
Greg it may look a bit.......ah........"barnyard engineered" but I've seen guys roll up a towel and wedge it between the headlight and windshield to knock off the wind in winter.

It works good but if you're wanting to be "Billy Kool Cool"............... Roll Eyes

Anyway,just a thought!

edited for spelling
Larry

I thought of that. My concern is the headlight housing getting hot enough to ignite my towel. Is this a legitimate concern?

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 10/25/12 at 13:28:43

Stock headlight? not a chance. It is plastic after all. And if an aftermarket headlight gets that hot there is something seriously wrong with it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 10/25/12 at 14:06:23

arteacher wrote on 10/25/12 at 13:28:43:
Stock headlight? not a chance. It is plastic after all. And if an aftermarket headlight gets that hot there is something seriously wrong with it.

I figured out (after I posted) that I have burned my hands on the headlight bulb but never the housing. I will try redneck approach and see what happens.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 10/25/12 at 15:26:43

This is where it sits.

windshield-fb.jpg

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #9 - 10/26/12 at 02:50:24

are you getting a lot of wind noise underneath it?

i think it looks good otherwise.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 10/26/12 at 04:40:31

I did do highway speeds last night. No noise. A little wind targeted at my chin but most of that is coming from the sides. I may try to tilt my bars back a little to see if it affects that. Otherwise, I am pretty happy. I do think it is ugly but necessary for the cold months.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 10/26/12 at 05:58:20

Hey, coveralls arent too sexy, but when the weather says its time to wear them,, its time.. Dude, its not a Vetter, with cup holders & a CB radio.. Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #12 - 10/26/12 at 07:29:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/26/12 at 05:58:20:
Dude, its not a Vetter, with cup holders & a CB radio.. Smiley

Grin

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged