My petcock....... (Read 129 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
My petcock.......
10/24/12 at 16:19:01

Hey gang, I did a very dangerous thing today as I was riding to work in rainy 30+ degree weather....I thought of something, you know, like I was thinking, uh, I think  Undecided
I can't change the past, so I'll go ahead and ask the question that arose from this exercise into futility.
I haven't changed my stock petcock, but I will, based on what I have learnt from you allz, anyway I got to wondering how does the motor/carb, use the vacuum energy that was designed to lift the diaphragm when it doesn't have a job to do anymore?
Can I expect, oh say, to gain 5 to 10 horse powers from it?  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My petcock.......
Reply #1 - 10/24/12 at 16:40:27

Naaah,, no gain,, zero, zip, nada,, the vac that goes to the petcock stops there. It just sucks back on a diaphragm & opens the valve to allow fuel to flow, by design.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/24/12 at 17:35:40

raydawg wrote on 10/24/12 at 16:19:01:
Can I expect, oh say, to gain 5 to 10 horse powers from it?  Kiss

Oh yeah,.. at least...
I'd say more like 30 or 40hp... Huh...

Grin Grin Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/24/12 at 17:45:49

ROWboat! Thats not nice,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 10/24/12 at 18:20:33

Serowbot, you're thinking of the Tubinator.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 10/24/12 at 21:01:06

Or that nitrous poot tube accessory thingie, the Beaninator AmoniaMax

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 10/25/12 at 03:24:42

So....if'n I read right your replies, it vanishes into oblivion, without so much as any consequence for doing such.....an energy force just vaporizes into nothing......golly, could we by chance harness and expand this technology into taking all the politicians with it?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/25/12 at 04:40:31

raydawg wrote on 10/25/12 at 03:24:42:
So....if'n I read right your replies, it vanishes into oblivion, without so much as any consequence for doing such.....an energy force just vaporizes into nothing......golly, could we by chance harness and expand this technology into taking all the politicians with it?

The engine vacuum pulls on a diaphragm about the size of a postage stamp and moves it.....about 1/8 of an inch.  It moves it only when the bike starts.....and it stays in that position until you shut it off.....then the diaphragm closes.  It consumes no energy once the engine is running, it stays in the open position until the engine is shut off and the vacuum ceases to pull on it.  Opening the diaphragm takes one tiny, minute, incredibly small amount of energy.......but only when the engine is started.  Getting rid of the vacuum petcock will not increase HP as it takes no additional energy to keep the petcock open.....it is using the vacuum that is operating to pull air through the carb and fuel through the jets.......and it will not increase mileage.

OK.....so if 1 HP equals 550 foot pounds per second.  Lets assume the diaphragm is 1" square and we move it 1/8".  The engine vacuum of 5 psi (estimated) will put 5 pounds of pull on the diaphragm and the 1/8" movement equals about 0.6250 foot pounds of work.  If we assume it takes 1 second to move the diaphragm.......the means 0.6250/550 = 0.0011 HP used to move the diaphragm open.      

« Last Edit: 10/25/12 at 06:45:35 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #8 - 10/26/12 at 06:35:47

If yours is working, why change it?. Mine is an '05 18,000 miles and works fine. Bike starts without choke even after sitting for 3 weeks or more. My '03 VOL also starts without choke. Both have K & N airfilters and rejetted carbs with after market pipes. If it ain't broke why fix it? You won't get any HP with the change. Spend your money on a K & N filter that fits in the stock air box and have the carb Professionally rejetted. You will see preformace from that and you bike will love you for it! Notice I did not say "increased horsepower" I said "Better preformance"

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 12:16:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My petcock.......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.