Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Transmission Gremlins- seriously frustrated (Read 314 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Transmission Gremlins- seriously frustrated
Reply #15 - 10/25/12 at 06:14:07

We can hope,, woulda been so easy if it was too tite.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #16 - 10/25/12 at 06:15:36

If anyone is following this and slightly confused on the concept of the pushrod (as I am-was-am...) I found this in the tech section. Takes some focus to follow it all, but it is good info.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270678838/0#0

I should be studying Chemistry and Physiology... instead devoting brain power to pushrods and carbs....

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 10/25/12 at 11:44:14

Yep,  easy rule of thumb is that to lower the chrome lever (return the adjustment range back into the system) you use a longer pushrod.

Your goal is to get inside the lines on the case marks using the top side of the chrome lever as your pointer, remembering to lift up on the rod with a rubber band in order to take all of the considerable slack out of the system.

Verslagen is ASSuMEing that your pushrod  (or the entire clutch pack) is overheating and growing in length, giving you functionally a "too long" pushrod.

I still ask the question, what the frick oil are you using to permit your engine to get that hot in the first place?  

Are you using a good list approved synthetic oil and are you using the list oil level checking method?   Both things could help with that overheating thing you say is going on.

Questions for you to answer:

Where is your chrome lever pointing right now vs the case marks?  
How far do you have to pull in on the clutch lever to disengage the clutch (engine running, bike moving and in gear)?  
How far do you have to let it out from all the way in to begin to engage the clutch?   (engine running, bike stopped, in gear)
Do these engagement points change when your engine starts to get "hot"?

Me, I'm not sure what is wrong with your bike actually, but your answering these questions may help everybody understand better by giving some reference points,

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #18 - 10/26/12 at 07:27:41

Picture below shows the clutch lever as the bike sits cold and not running.

As far as the clutch cable adjustment, sitting cold there is very little slack in the cable, clutch starts to engage almost right away. Which isn't right. I should have some play, right? As far as when it is warm, I can't tell you. I haven't ridden it since I got back from the malfunction trip. I do not recall anything way out of whack at the time, though. I know I inspected all the cables when it happened, but thinking back I was so pissed off at the situation and having to be THAT GUY holding up my group on the side of the road that I can't honestly say I was making clear assessments.
   I DO check these things on a regular basis. I've totalled a bike and almost destroyed my military career (through injury) in an accident, and I tend to be incredibly paranoid when it comes to riding. But, roght now I'm starting to doubt myself quite a bit...
  As for oil: I got the bike on a trade from a dealer. One previous owner, 2300 and change on the speedo. Oil change was recorded in the manual, but dealer did not have the actual record. The oil looked good, did not smell burnt, and it hasn't burned ANY since I got it. So I ASSUMED it was good (I know, I know.... shoulda changed it myself to know.) PO was first time rider  who only put 2300 on it in three years of ownership- I have no idea if correct oil was put in.
  I got a feeling I'm gonna end up feeling like a jackass by the time this is figured out. Assumption is the mother of all F-ups....

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 10/26/12 at 08:21:04

dmj13 wrote on 10/26/12 at 07:27:41:
As far as the clutch cable adjustment, sitting cold there is very little slack in the cable, clutch starts to engage almost right away. Which isn't right. I should have some play, right?

Yep the lack of slack is what whacked ya.
About 1/8" at the lever, and check full travel of the bars.
Even more slack is fine as long as the clutch is fully disengaged with the lever fully pulled in.
Not unusual for the slack to disapear when the cable is flexed.

WWW   IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #20 - 11/04/12 at 09:13:25

Okay, took me long enough, but completed rejet to 52.5 pilot and 152.5 main. Left the three washers as is on the needle. At two turns out idling in parking lot. Sounds good, no backfire when revving it stationary. Also swapped in a new iridium plug.
  Exhaust sealed, finally. I ended up using JB weld on the end of the Jardine, sanding it to fit after it set, and then sealing the leading edge with JB Weld as well. Wrapped it in metallic exhaust tape and secured that with metal zip ties. I have a heat shield to make it pretty. No leaks sitting still.
  Clutch cable readjusted. I have  about half an inch play at the end of the lever, before the cable started pulling the clutch lever, per the manual. Thats an eyeball measurement. I'll adjust on the fly if needed.
  Oil changed with the Redline brand I saw reccomended on this site. As I understood it has enough ZDDP already so I DID NOT add anything to it. Also a new K and N oil filter. Gonna go for a ride here in a bit.
  Here's hoping! Cool

IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Reply #21 - 11/04/12 at 13:59:15

Okay, so apparently JB Weld does not do well with high temps. The bike ran fantastic for the first 15 minutes, no backfires, no pops, clutch acting normal- then I smelled burning epoxy and looked down at my muffler/header connection smoking like crazy. When it started leaking, the backfiring started again.
  So, my initial big problem- the wierd tranny/clutch issue, has gone away and I'm back to dealing with backfires again. I did discover today that a guy I work with has a welder at his place, so I'm probably just taking it over there sometime thisweek to try and fix it up that way. Thanks for the help on the first issue, everyone. It seems to be resolved!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:19:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Transmission Gremlins- seriously frustrated

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.