Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Removing Stripped Air Mix Screw (Read 1154 times)
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Removing Stripped Air Mix Screw
10/20/12 at 09:18:16

I've seen a couple posts lately about stuck/stripped air mix screws and since I was one of them, wanted to share how I got mine out. Trying to be helpful and all....
 So, a couple days ago I managed to strip the hell out of my air mixture screw when attempting to correct backfire issues. That sucked, but one of the members here,- gdrseeker- was kind enough to send me an unused air mix screw to replace it with. I went ahead and ordered Lancer's jet kit, figuring I might as well do everyhting while I'm busy fixing the screw. I got the carb out fine, but...
 PROBLEM: the stupid screw was really stripped, I could not get traction at ALL. Why that thing is made of brass I have no idea. It felt like I had pushed on it too hard and maybe bent some threads or something. Regardless, my first thought was to spray it with PB Blaster, let it soak, the tap a screw driver into it with a hammer to see if I could get it turning. Then I remembered that too much pressure was what started this mess to begin with, so I nixed that idea. I did hit it with some PB Blaster, though.
 Well, I've turned wrenches for fun for a while, so this is not my first stuck screw. Thought about using a torch, then I thought about the gasoline and maybe catching myself on fire- no go. I tried my set of Probit Extractors- which normally work like a champ- but they would not reach the screw. I considered grinding down the metal around the screw to get access, but reserved that as a last resort.
 I was finally faced with  saying screw it (haha) and buying a new carb, but that was not financially reasonable. I would take it to a machine shop, but I don't want to be THAT guy, and even a machinist could jack it up good. I prefer to break my own stuff. All the normal options were eliminated down to trying to drill it out. So I did, and it worked.
First, I used a power drill and a 1/16th kobalt bit to start a pilot hole in the center of the screw. This was pretty shallow, but I then stepped up to a 5/64 drill bit and made about a quarter-inch deep hole . So far, so good. Then, I used a T8 torx bit (quarter-inch drive) and very carefully used a hammer to tap it securely into place.
MAKE SURE YOU DRILL AND TAP THE BIT IN STRAIGHT. I did not have a ratchet that size, so I used a quarter-inch drive screwdriver and clamped onto the handle with a pair of vice grips for leverage (You WILL need to do this. Trying to crank it by hand without the added leverage is NOT going to work.) Then I said a little prayer, applied gentle, steady pressure and... it came out like a champ. Hopefully the pictures post below.

« Last Edit: 05/14/13 at 08:54:51 by dmj13 »  

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Re: Romving Stripped Air Mix Screw
Reply #1 - 10/20/12 at 09:24:29

Okay, that worked. Sorry if I was long winded. If you are not comfortable drilling metal, I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT this. You kinda have to be willing to completely toast it if you mess it up. Just be sure to drill the hole straight and use easy pressure. You probably only have one shot at this method, unless you step up the torx bit size.
   Not sure what other methods might have worked. I know there are screw extractors that work like the torx bit I used, but the concept is the same. Hope it helps!

2009 S40: Lancer Jet Kit with 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1 washers/Uni foam filter/ Jardine exhaust
  IP Logged
dmj13

Enthusiastic Amateur

San Antonio, TX
Re: Removing Stripped Air Mix Screw
Reply #2 - 10/20/12 at 10:07:56

One thing I forgot to mention: I had the carb held in a table top vise while I did this. Trying to do everything without it secured is asking for trouble- unless you have a third hand or something.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 10/21/12 at 18:26:43

Nice job.....

If someone is considering this, you may want to try using left-hand twist drill bits to do the drilling.

« Last Edit: 05/18/13 at 17:26:37 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #4 - 01/09/13 at 18:24:45

dmj13, the Torx bit method worked. I used a 3/32 (2.4mm) drill bit and not the T8 but the T10 Torx bit. I also filled the recessed hole with WD-40 (only thing I had on the spot) and slowly applied pressure twisting left and right till the screw moved and then screwed it out.

When i drilled out the brass plug covering the mix screw, the drill bit bumped the head of the screw dishing it. that didn't leave alot of meat for a screwdriver to grip (which is pretty shallow to begin with).

I was dialing in the idle circut one crisp November day to eliminate the labored idle and hesitation at take off when the fated slot disappeared.
I had taken a drill bit about the same width of the screws slot and carefully drilled a new slot.

That worked, but buggered again shortly after and I tried to tap a screwdriver in the remaining portion of the slot and really messed the screw up so bad it froze in place.

After I bought a new screw from the dealership and examined it, dmj13s removal idea seemed the best course to try with what I had left before running into the shaft of the screw.

After the new screw was in place and bottomed, on the lip of the recess I made a witness mark (a light tap on a chisel) inline with the slot for a reference point.

dmj13, you use your brain and somebody calls you smart. good job, great info

« Last Edit: 01/10/13 at 05:34:12 by rat907 »  

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
Jolly Executioner

Waiuku, New Zealand
Reply #5 - 05/18/13 at 04:36:22

Just did this but with a 2.5mm drill bit and a t10 torx which I had to upsize halfway. Managed to do it with carb still on bike. Man I'm glad that thing is out, cheers.

IP Logged
wearsabrowncoat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

L.A. - lower Alabama
Reply #6 - 05/31/13 at 12:01:46

Has anyone identified a replacement screw with an extension and easy twist knob?

97 Savage - Blue Collar Bobber'd, Raptor petcock, 6" FC on deck, VerSlavy waiting list.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 05/31/13 at 18:40:35

Here's where I got 'em for my KLR650s:

http://www.koubalink.com/

They make 'em for other bikes, perhaps someone will identify a Kouba screw that would work on our carbs.....

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
jimmysmooth
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/19/14 at 19:58:53

Thanks for the solution guys. It worked like a charm. I turned it out, but I couldn't get the torx bit out of the screw very easily. Then I got a new screw and put it in. When I lightly (and I mean lightly) seated it, the brass noticeably started to strip. So I took it out and put the old one in with the torx bit still stuck in it. I figure if I can't pull it out with my hands, it won't vibrate loose from the engine. The perk is that I can just turn it with my fingers or a pliers. I would almost recommend this even if your screw hasn't stripped yet because you know it will.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #9 - 01/25/14 at 06:40:56

If you buggered up the mixture screw here is the part number

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/27/14 at 11:54:36

It's good that you provided a pict with the part no.

Others have stated in the past there are more than one type of mixture screw for the savage.  If yours doesn't match the pict... start looking for the other part no.

WWW   IP Logged
P4llen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/15/17 at 09:41:41

Getting ready to try this on my 07
I am so thankful for this post!
Stupid screw!
Will let you all know how it goes in the next few days

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #12 - 05/15/18 at 14:40:52

verslagen1 wrote on 01/27/14 at 11:54:36:
It's good that you provided a pict with the part no.

Others have stated in the past there are more than one type of mixture screw for the savage.  If yours doesn't match the pict... start looking for the other part no.

Yeah, except I cant see pic!
I get some photobucket B.S.

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #13 - 05/26/18 at 17:43:43

Hello everyone!
I am in the same predicament, stripped screwdriver slot. Ive drilled it in center using a 1/16" irwin left handed bit, gradually stepping up to a5/32" left handed bit, i gently drove a T15 Torx bit in

I have put a 1/4" bit screwdriver on and tried turning, still stuck!
Im not a WEAK man, i break nuts! Im afraid to put a ratchet or vice grips on the handle of the bit driver!
It has had PB Blaster on it soaking and its soaking again. Ive gently taped the carb body around mixture screw. In my mind the bit SHOULD strip in the brass screw, OR the screw moves, BEFORE the bit breaks in the screw, but that AINT my luck!!!
Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #14 - 05/26/18 at 18:58:13

Well the T15 stripped jammed a T20 in the drilled hole, its bajing in PB again. Ill try again tomorrow☹

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:31:36

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Removing Stripped Air Mix Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.