Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dyna muffler install issues (Read 587 times)
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Dyna muffler install issues
10/07/12 at 20:10:01

Today my lovely gf and I took a road trip up to the montly swap meet up in Webster, FL and came back home with a shiny new (to me) Dyna exhaust for my bike.  I got the exhaust with the rail-mount bracket that everyone on here seems to recommend, a clamp, and a bolt-on heat shield that I should be able to cut up into a serviceable cover for the mess once I manage to get it together... all for $12.

Once I got home I figured I would tackle the installation today, since it looks pretty straightforward and there are plenty of instructions around here on the process, unfortunately I'm running into issues and figured I would ask for advice.

The first issue I came across is that the Dyna doesn't slip all the way on (as pictured) like I've seen in other folk's photos (such as in Serowbot's post over on the Tech Documents page here http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417).  After getting everything together I'm getting exhaust leaks all around the connection.  I'm using the same "tin can gasket" method that Serowbot mentions in that thread, and can't seem to get rid of the leaks.  I'm curious if it might be because the exhaust isn't slipping on as far as mentioned in that thread.

It seems to me that the internal part of my header pipe is butting up against the lip on the inside of the Dyna, and will not but up flush aginst the raised lip on the header pipe unless I remove some of that (which I would prefer not to do).  I'm doubtful that this is likely the problem with the leaks, there seems to be plenty of header going down into the slip-on.

The second issue I ran into was that the clamp wasn't working as well as I thought it should, and I realized that it was missing one of the pieces (that's what I get for a dollar, I guess), so I tried to make it up by stuffing a couple of large washers in there.  With the washers on the clamp I could tighten it enough that I couldn't tighten it anymore with a wrench... afterwards I'm still getting the leaks.

I made a run tonight to all the local dollar stores and parts places to see if anyone had a serviceable clamp, but nobody had anything that looked nearly beefy enough (aside from the normal U bolt clamps available at the auto parts places, but I'm thinking those would not work well).

So... should I try a new clamp?  Is the problem likely that I'm not tightening it down enough?  Should I try something other than a tin can for a gasket?  Should I find someone with a welder?  Smiley

dynamuff.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Dyna muffler install issues
Reply #1 - 10/07/12 at 21:47:04

Thanks for the pics,.. and thanks for replying in the Rubberside... Wink...

.. a couple of people have had trouble with the muffler not sliding home...
I've never come across it myself,.. but, as you say,.. it looks far enough...
... and I see you've cut slots to allow the muff to neck down to the pipe diameter...
That clamp looks a bit feeble...  I'd look to a sturdier clamp...
The one's I've been using squeeze from a full 360 degrees... they have a kinda' slip sleeve that seals across the bolt area, and good width all 'round...
I think Harley makes a pretty good one for about $10,... I find mine a dollar store in packs of two... (one is much smaller)...

Anyway,.. that's my best recommendation... and good reporting of your problem...  very clear...
best luck... hope that helps... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #2 - 10/07/12 at 23:53:09

Thanks for the reply, I'll hit a couple more dollar stores tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

I've been reading some suggestions in a few other places that have been mentioning using Permatex Ultra Copper smeared in there... think that's worth a try as well?

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 10/08/12 at 00:12:59

You're HD clamp seems to be missing a piece.  Where you have put the two washers, there is supposed to be a semi-circular spacer so that the nut presses evenly against that portion of the clamp.  Not sure if it would make a difference in your case.

I've personally tried the Permatex Ultra Copper for the exact same issues. In my experience, it could not withstand the heat from the exhaust.  After the first ride, it dried up, turned whitish-orange, and began flaking off.

Good luck with this.  I'm to the point where I had to weld mine because I cut my slots too far down on the muffler.  Getting a solid seal with welding is more of a pain than I thought...

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 10/08/12 at 01:40:52

I tried the can crush method with a brand new HD clamp. I couldn't get the thing to seal completely. I got it to seal well enough... but no matter what I did I still got a slight puff of exhaust leak. I certainly got it close enough to live with though.

Getting it on there all the way requires a little bite of grunt and turning off the muffler once its on the header. Perhaps a bit of lube of some sort that would burn off could help. As mentioned above, that clamp looks a bit off. Good luck!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 10/08/12 at 04:45:44

I had the exact same issue of not sliding on far enough. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap cut off tool and cut off the offending part. After that, any tin can and a good clamp will solve your problems.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #6 - 10/08/12 at 04:59:19

I end up using high temp red rtv on mine with a plumbing leak repair cuff with the rubber sleeve removed. I did use a standard ubolt exhaust clamp to neck down the harley exhaust first then removed the u-bolt and put the plumbing cuff with rtv on.

but I do believe a t-bolt clamp would be preferable since by design the clamping force is much greater than I have with the band clamps on the plumbing sleeve.

IP Logged
tomw
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/08/12 at 07:05:52

Exhaust leak what a pain in the gas had a 14" homemade drag pipe with 8" or 12" can opener baffle and used a wide fence post clamp flat black paint look good but too loud at open throttle and couldn't keep it from leaking or the clamp tight used permatex  red copper could not stop leak after a couple of runes or untill it got hot and dry up I don't know may be the pipe was to big or expanded to much when hot . Well went with a emg shorty and the nightmare of the leaking monster started  all over again this time I got it right even though I think a 4" to 6' baffle welded inside would be better then the stock but I think I found the right stuff to stop exhaust leak or maybe a combinations of tighter exhaust and better sealent  this is the stuff to use Permantex muffler & tailpipe sealer o'reilly had to order it but be careful because this stuff drys the color or mortar good luck .

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 10/08/12 at 07:32:14

There isn't any glue/sealant/rtv/gasketmaker/etc., that will hold up very long at that joint.  The only long-term solution is to find some way for all the parts to fit together precisely, and use a very heavy-duty exhaust clamp to squeeze it together hard enough to hold up to the heat and vibration.

Here's are some examples of heavy duty exhaust clamps.  Even the most expensive aren't all THAT pricey.

http://www.tecexhaust.com/index.php/default/clamps.html

Devote most of your effort to get the joint to fit tightly with a lot of overlap all by itself.  Then, and only then, use a powerful stainless clamp to clamp it all together.

One other reasonable option is to get everything to fit in place the way you want, and then MIG weld it all together.  Make a one-piece exhaust system that will never leak or break.  The only downside is that sometimes you might have to do a little more disassembly to get at some areas that used to be freed up by just removing the muffler.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #9 - 10/08/12 at 09:03:00

On the way to work today I stopped at every dollar store within a 10 mile radius of the ride to work and came up empty handed... I had a conversation with my dad over email and it turns out that he has a couple of NIB exhaust clamps that he purchased when he swapped the exhaust on his Harley.  He's going to drop those into the mail for me today, so if I don't find anything in the meantime maybe one of those will work.

I'm a little miffed that the swap meet clamp didn't work out, it sounded really nice for the few seconds I've had it running checking for leaks.  Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 10/08/12 at 09:12:12

MiCTLaN wrote on 10/08/12 at 09:03:00:
On the way to work today I stopped at every dollar store within a 10 mile radius of the ride to work and came up empty handed  Grin

I would not expect a "Dollar Store" to have a specialized clamp for a motorcycle exhaust.  These are very specific clamps and even a good automobile parts supply place would not have them.  The internet, eBay or a motorcycle shop are the only places you will find the kind of clamp you need.....and even then you can buy some that are made to cheaply to work well.  On eBay you can find good Harley made clamps for $ 10 or so........  

The clamp you have in you photo appears to be a good clamp - but it is missing the half-moon pieces that go on both sides.  This will alllow the straps to flatten out when you tighten the bolt/nut and the strap will not be pulled tight.

I bought some from this fellow and they where shipped quickly, good quality, and they worked great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-MUFFLER-CLAMPS-TOURING...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #11 - 10/08/12 at 11:15:19

Had the exact same issue the OP had. No matter how hard I would close that clamp it could not close tightly enough around the pipe, muffler always seemed loose. Yet the tin can method was too thick to fit between pipe and muffler. Got some heavy duty exhaust repair from autozone and that did the trick, wrapped around the pipe as thick as possible then slid muffler on, added another couple of turns of wrapping around the muffler where the clamp made contact and it worked like a champ. Let's see if that holds.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #12 - 10/08/12 at 12:38:25

I took a pair of needle-nose pliers and gently spread the tabs back a slight bit after cutting a few notches into the pipe to the same length as the two 'stock' notches that were there... doing so gave me enough leeway to get the tin in place...

Granted, I haven't corrected the leaks yet, so I'll have to see how it goes once the new clamps come in.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #13 - 10/08/12 at 12:42:21

I think it will work, I tried a few HD clamps before I found one that could crush that pipe tight.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #14 - 10/09/12 at 19:23:04

Still no luck... the clamps that dad sent over were a couple of Drag Specialties clamps that were not up for the job.  One of them was a two-piece model that seemed like it would work okay, so I went ahead and tried it and still had leaks.  Next I dug out the hacksaw and sawed off the small section of the header pipe where the inner pipe was longer than the outer, and clamped it all back down, still leaking.  I guess next I'll stop by a Harley dealer and see if I can get a clamp like the first one I had that isn't missing a piece.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 09:14:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna muffler install issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.