Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
has anyone installed harley hand controls? (Read 172 times)
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
has anyone installed harley hand controls?
09/21/12 at 11:41:44

I am about to install some new bars with a 12" rise and I want change the hand controls (switches/clutch and brake lever) to a nice black set of Harley controls. Has anyone done this? I am wondering about the cable fittings because they we need to be different at the Harley end. The brake line is no problem, its the clutch and throttle I see an issue with.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: has anyone installed harley hand controls?
Reply #1 - 09/21/12 at 12:11:14

Will this like remote control the hardly next to you?

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 09/21/12 at 13:20:37

It can be done. You'll need to work with a local independent shop to get the correct cables. Some HD's had a Keihin carb, some had a Mikuni, some are fuel injected. You'll need a Mikuni throttle cable, my bike uses one off a Honda, but my HD throttle boss is 1930s to 1950s style (no switch box). If you have the ring end perches you will likely need the carb/clutch arm ends replaced. Any shop that makes small engine cables can hook you up with the correct ends.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 09/21/12 at 14:08:52

Thanks WD! its a brand new set of hand controls that says on the box it fits 1996 Thru 2011 Big Twin & 1996 Thru 2003 Sportster.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 09/22/12 at 07:01:59

Definitely get an indie shop to help you with the cables. They will need to be resized or custom ordered and have new business ends put on them. If there is a shop in your area that does full custom builds those would be the guys to talk to.

Put up pics when it is done, not a very common conversion.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 09/22/12 at 13:28:09

Will do, it will give me something to do over the winter. I got some road 6 custom bars and the reason for the new controls is that I want to run the wires internally. The stock switches are not really set up for that.

IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 09/23/12 at 17:29:39

It turns out it will be a little bit of work, I think I have everything figured out. I just need to round up the ingredients.

-front brake line with 7/8 banjo fitting for the harley master cylinder and a 10mm for the Suzuki caliper
-custom clutch and throttle cables
-turn signal relay to work with with the harley switches because they are momentary.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 09/23/12 at 17:33:30

I've thought about doing this myself, but instead of stock HD controls some of the aftermarket ones.  Only thing that is holding me back is the cost of it.  Like you the biggest reason I would like to do this is so that I can run the wires totally enclosed in the bars, plus I like the momentary signal switches on either side as well instead of the 3 position press to cancel switch that is stock.

Ideally I'd like a combo of a sports bike and HD type control system.  Switch boxes like the HD and Front divorced master cylinder like a sports bike.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 02:58:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › has anyone installed harley hand controls?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.