Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Never owned or ridden a bike (Read 1021 times)
JodyBlip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Never owned or ridden a bike
09/06/12 at 13:34:04

the savage or s40 is a good starter bike right?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Never owned or ridden a bike
Reply #1 - 09/06/12 at 13:44:59

Pretty darn good...  It's a bike you can start on,.. and not need to upgrade,.. unless you want to...

A 125ccc or 250cc might be a bit better to start out,.. but, most people will then feel the need for a little bigger bike fairly soon...

This bike, has a lot of veteran riders with decades of experience, and a large variety of past bikes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/06/12 at 13:48:55

Well,, that depends. Some people whove never ridden a motorcycle on the road have years of bicycle experience & have a feel for 2 wheels. Some have dirt bike experience, &, its been shown that they fall less, because theyve got experience in unsure traction & how a bike feels when it starts to slide & they have learned to reflexively DO what needs done to get it straightened out.,
How tall are you? What do you weigh? Are you physically fit? Have you ever sat on a bike & leaned it over to see how heavy it feels when its not straight up & down?

These make a good starter bike for people who make good candidates for riding w/o them needing to learn some of the very first, almost intangible "Little" things, as long as theyre able to handle the weight. The UPside is, its lowslung. Short legs like mine reach the ground easily.

If I had never ridden a bike, I wouldnt get a street bike. Id look for some old , small, Cheap dirt bike & go play in the dirt a while. Learn to shift & clutch & use the gas & not be dodging cars whilke ya learn,.
Once you learn to operate a bike w/o having to think about how to shift or when & you learn how to use both brakes, then get on the street.

My 2 cents worth,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/06/12 at 14:10:56

I certainly would not jump on the Savage for my first riding lesson.  I would suggest you start out on something like a moped or scooter that has an automatic clutch and a small engine and is light weight....in the grass or dirt.  When you get comfortable with how the throttle and front brake must both be operated by your right hand, and how to use the foot brake.....then go to something small and lightweight that has a clutch.  When you screw up on a little bike with a small engine in the yard....you got a fighting chance of not hurting you or the bike.  Make a mistake on pavement with a 300 pound motorcycle that has a bunch of low end torque......it is gonna hurt!

I had the advantage of having a minibike as a kid, then a 125cc motorcycle.....then they got bigger.  I get reminded from time to time when I try to teach someone how to ride.......everyone is going to fall down a few times before they get the coordination thing going.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JodyBlip
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/06/12 at 14:26:49

yeah i know a 650 isnt best to learn on but was just trying to skip scooter or 250 because i just dont have the money to go from those to a 650 as quickly as i would like lol i can afford to save for a savage not a savage and others but good point.  Im a tad over 5 foot 9 but not all the way 5 10 about 190 pounds i was thinking a savage or a rebel because with either my intentions are hardtailing and bobbing as $$$ permits just scared i would "outgrow" the rebel before my money would allow to upgrade. thanks for advice!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/06/12 at 14:29:31

I'll throw in my 2 cents. Yes if you take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Basic Riders Course. No if your buddy is going to teach you. It will be the best $100 bucks you will ever spend on anything motorcycle related. One of the forum members, matinfilms I think, is a range assistant for a MSF school and can tell you all about it.

Good Luck

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/06/12 at 14:34:14

Blinky-FSO wrote on 09/06/12 at 14:29:31:
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Yes if you take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Basic Riders Course. No if your buddy is going to teach you. It will be the best $100 bucks you will ever spend on anything motorcycle related. One of the forum members, matinfilms I think, is a range assistant for a MSF school and can tell you all about it.

Good Luck

+1  take the course..... you'll learn properly, get your endorsement and have a great time too!!   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 09/06/12 at 14:46:05

Take the motorcycle course. You get to use their equipment, usually some sort of 250. That way you can see if the idea even appeals to you without having to buy a bike or even a helmet. When you pass, you can have the motorcycle endorsement added to your license even if you don't have a bike. That in turn will let you rent scooters and such at vacation spots, and maybe even get test or demo rides at dealerships (if you can find a dealership that allows test rides). Even if you decide motorcycling isn't for you, some of the defensive driving techniques carry over to cars. Oh yes - the motorcycle course usually gets you a discount on your bike insurance.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #8 - 09/06/12 at 14:51:20

Here's another vote for taking the course.
I don't think the S40 is a bad choice for a first bike, but in general think something smaller is a better idea.  You can always trade up later.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #9 - 09/06/12 at 15:14:01

i second that dave

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 09/06/12 at 15:54:37

Never ridden? No its NOT a good starter bike. Its got enough low and mid level torque to hurt you. And it will run fast enough to kill you.
Most of these guys are prejudiced about their LITTLE bikes(LOL) and have probably forgot the sheer terror just just starting out on a road bike. Grin

Take the MSF course. Buy a good beater 250 rebel or Ninja at the end of the riding season when their cheaper. Ride when you can during the winter and all next season.
Decide if its what you like and if so THEN move up to a Savage, Kawa 500, V-Star 650 ect. Ride a couple more seasons then move up again if you feel the need.
Take your time, practice practice practice. Get used to haveing your head on a swivel being super aware of your surroundings.
Cages don't care, your invisible...at best nothing more then a nuisance on the road THEY own.

By then your survival instincts will be better honed and you'll have a better idea if you want sport, cruiser or touring as your long term ride and what size you NEED.
Throw down to much torque or ponies too soon and figure on spending that upgrade money on hospital bills or fixing your ride so you can JUST get back on the road. Or a tombstone.

Your biggest threat besides idiot cagers is too much bike and lack of experience. Road conditions plays a close third, ice, oil, antifreeze, mud, tar snakes, ect. Keep in mind the 650 thumper is what used to be years ago the BIG road bikes. Just because theres 600 super-sports and 2000cc cruisers out there now don't make a 650 a GOOD starter bike for the inexperienced.

Theres a ton of rebels out there for good prices and they make nice lil bobbers pretty CHEAP. And they are funner then SNOT around town.
They pretty well hold their resale value as stock bikes to so you basically end up only loseing gas money, insurance(CHEAP) licensing and title fees.
Thats money saved for a bigger nicer bike when your ready. Wink

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 09/06/12 at 16:15:44

Blinky-FSO wrote on 09/06/12 at 14:29:31:

Good Luck

My 110 5'2" wife started on a Yamaha SR 500 higher seat than the S40,Her buddy help her learn,Me,40000 miles never went down,Most miles in a day 500,On a GR 650 Suzuki.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/06/12 at 16:26:25

At 5'9" & 190 pounds, youll be able to handle it fine. Yea, its torquey, but its not gonna wheelie out from under ya or hit a power band in a corner & toss ya in a ditch. Youll be fine. Take the course, get a full coverage helmet & wear stuff for fallin down in, Wouldnt recommend a new one, cuz you can pretty much bet gravity will have its way with you one day..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 09/06/12 at 16:39:42

Don't let these guys scare you. You can start wherever you want. The VON who takes care of my wife started with a Virago 1100.
By all means take the course. Anything you learn there will stand you in good stead with any sized bike.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 09/06/12 at 16:59:41

I wondered how long it would take Bill to jump in. He has never taken the MSF course, but knows beyond doubt it is worse than useless.

Whatever you do, do not let your spouse/parent/relative/buddy try to teach you to drive anything. They know your "hot buttons" just as you know theirs, and that only makes a stressful situation worse.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 05:25:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Never owned or ridden a bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.