Where did it go? (Read 269 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Where did it go?
09/17/12 at 10:19:06

So I went out for a short ride today on my '01 and finally hit 4,000 miles!!   Cheesy  I got back to the house, did a quick look over of everything and found my helmet lock to be completely missing.  Huh  All that's left is a little plate with two holes in it, one of which is threaded.  Has anybody else had a helmet lock fall off?  I'm assuming vibration did it, but I thought it was riveted on there??

I wouldn't normally be too upset about it, but I just figured out how to attach my helmet securely so it doesn't hit the muffler... Angry

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Where did it go?
Reply #1 - 09/17/12 at 10:40:44

I don't even know how to use the helmet lock!  Do you need some sort of cable to tie the helmet to it?

Shouldn't the helmet be resting on the seat?  or does it just hang on the side of the bike?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/17/12 at 10:44:21

Check between the couch cushions... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 09/17/12 at 10:58:16

HondaLavis wrote on 09/17/12 at 10:19:06:
So I went out for a short ride today on my '01 and finally hit 4,000 miles!!   Cheesy  I got back to the house, did a quick look over of everything and found my helmet lock to be completely missing.  Huh  All that's left is a little plate with two holes in it, one of which is threaded.  Has anybody else had a helmet lock fall off?  I'm assuming vibration did it, but I thought it was riveted on there??

I wouldn't normally be too upset about it, but I just figured out how to attach my helmet securely so it doesn't hit the muffler... Angry

No, it is secured to the pillion handle with one screw.  It vibrated loose, and it is gone gone gone.  
Now, you can buy saddlebags and not complain about them covering the helmet lock, that is now gone.
Unless you get REALLY lucky and find it during a back track of your route.  If you do find it again, put it on with thread lock.
Ain't I just a ray of sunshine?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 09/17/12 at 14:06:03

Just say good riddance and carry your helmet inside with you. Or padlock it to the handlebars.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 09/17/12 at 14:28:33

The stock lock is for protection from little kids- one twist with a pair of pliers and bye bye helmet.
I bought a Kewl Metal bar end lock and it lasted a week before it seized up with the helmet locked into it.
Then I bought one of these...
http://helmetsecure.com/
....and mounted it to the sissy bar so the helmet could sit on the pad.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 09/17/12 at 16:08:33

I hang my half helmet from the bars or put it on the seat. I put my 3/4 helmet on the ground next to the bike. If someone really needs my helmet more than me, I guess it's theirs. I did put it in the lock a couple of times but the helmet kept banging on the bike and my nice matte black got ugly marks on it.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #7 - 09/17/12 at 22:53:13

Thanks for all the replies, guys.  My wife and I both have HJC IS-33 matte black 3/4 helmets, and I had just figured out how to hook both of them onto the little latch (more for the wife's piece of mind than mine)

Arteacher, I'm sure you're right about how weak the stock one was anyways, and I love the link you posted!  I'l either consider one of those or just a plain jane cable lock since they are cheaper.

I have a monster of a sissy bar with no shortage of places to lock or mount stuff.  My family tends to call my bike the "Pope-Mobile" since it looks like a cathedral piece.

Youzguyz, to go with your bright little ray of sunshine: I was so caught up in the discovery of my missing lock that I left the key in the on position for about 6 hours before the father-in-law noticed and told me.  I topped off the acid and put it on a charger, but I'm fairly certain I shot it. Unloaded voltage was only around 9.5 and steadily declining after a 2 hr ride.  Embarrassed

Oh well...  Just an excuse to get a gel battery and remount it for better use of my space!   Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/17/12 at 23:27:01

Gun shop. Gun lock, padlock with a rubber coated cable, set the hellmutt on the tank, lok between risers, About $8.00..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/18/12 at 04:18:37

Retractable cable locks are handy to use, they are relatively small and at 3 feet long you can even slide it through the sleeve of a jacket to leave-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRYPTONITE-R4-RETRACTABLE-CABLE-LOCK-4-MOTORCYCLE-/14...

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/18/12 at 05:01:05

I like that, too,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/18/12 at 06:08:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/12 at 23:27:01:
Gun shop. Gun lock, padlock with a rubber coated cable, set the hellmutt on the tank, lok between risers, About $8.00..

I was going to say... it was either here or the Volusia forum someone said they used a gun lock.
8 bucks?! Go to the PD and tell them you want one for free. They were giving them away as part of "Operation Child Safe".

--Steve

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #12 - 09/18/12 at 07:11:41

I rarely lock my helment and often leave my jacket on the bike, draped across the windsheild.  Of course, that depends on where I am, had to go to Durham and locked the helment and took the jacket in with me.  But for my usual runs, the places I usually go, no one is going to mess with a motorcycle dude or his stuff.  Even if he is a big fluffy teddy bear like me.  Cheesy

Last week I went to the hospital in Greenville (bigger town, home of East Carolina University) and found a 1 1/4 wrench on the road, I picked it up and stuffed it in my pocket.  At the hospital I hung my helment on the handlebars, the jacket on the windshield and layed the big ole wrench across the seat and went in to do my thing.  An hour or so later, when I came out, everything was just where I left it.  

I like living in eastern North Carolina!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #13 - 09/18/12 at 22:03:40

So I took the battery off the charger today.  Smart charger says I have bad cells.  I decided to see this as an opportunity to by a small AGM, move the battery box, and tidy up a few other things!

My mod will go something along the lines of Boule'tard's thread, as I picked up essentially the same battery.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1259644714

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 09/19/12 at 16:06:32

HondaLavis wrote on 09/17/12 at 22:53:13:
Thanks for all the replies, guys.  My wife and I both have HJC IS-33 matte black 3/4 helmets, and I had just figured out how to hook both of them onto the little latch (more for the wife's piece of mind than mine)

Arteacher, I'm sure you're right about how weak the stock one was anyways, and I love the link you posted!  I'l either consider one of those or just a plain jane cable lock since they are cheaper.

I have a monster of a sissy bar with no shortage of places to lock or mount stuff.  My family tends to call my bike the "Pope-Mobile" since it looks like a cathedral piece.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/Lavis325CL/IMAG0043.jpg

Youzguyz, to go with your bright little ray of sunshine: I was so caught up in the discovery of my missing lock that I left the key in the on position for about 6 hours before the father-in-law noticed and told me.  I topped off the acid and put it on a charger, but I'm fairly certain I shot it. Unloaded voltage was only around 9.5 and steadily declining after a 2 hr ride.  Embarrassed

Oh well...  Just an excuse to get a gel battery and remount it for better use of my space!   Wink

That sissy bar is sick! Where did you get that?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:19:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where did it go?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.