Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
squeaking breaks (Read 102 times)
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
squeaking breaks
09/10/12 at 11:35:09

I searched and read a few posts about breaks squeaking, but still not sure what exactly to do to cure my problem.  the break pads are brand new on the front and squeak like hell at lower speeds.  The rear breaks are not new and also squeak.  I am almost positive the squeak is in fact the breaks but I will double check today.  looking for suggestions to fix the problem.  I know there is break cleaner you can spray on the disk but is that a good idea?

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: squeaking breaks
Reply #1 - 09/10/12 at 11:41:47

Next time you're in the market, get kevlar pads, they don't squeal.

Soap and water wash is all you need otherwise.

On the back, I've done a couple of things which have eliminated the squeal.  Make several hard stops till the squeal goes away.  then when ever you brake/slow down, use the rears.  this drives off the moisture that causes the squeal.

Also, I've modified the pads with a sharp 45° angle to push off the brake dust towards the open end.  the pads have a bevel which tends to suck up the dust into the pads.  the sharp edge scrapes the dust off.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/10/12 at 11:50:39

There sometimes are benefits of getting older.  I no longer hear squeaks very well.

The stock front pads are prone to squeaking.  I have not heard that anyone has a squeak from the rear.

How many miles on your bike?  Is it stored inside or outside?  Have you ever had the rear wheel apart and/or cleaned the rear brake drum and hub?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gdrseeker

Addicted!!

Carson Valley NV
Reply #3 - 09/10/12 at 12:03:40

I bought the bike for $500.  It was stored in a garage for the past 10 years.  The tires were old and cracked needed to replace.  Nothing else wrong with the bike at all.  The bike was checked over by my local shop and it only needed new front break pads.  The rear still had 70%.  The bike has 23K miles I have put 250 miles on it since I got it.

motorcycle_2_001.jpg

1996 Savage, Jardine, K&N, 145 / 55 jets, 1 turn out at 5000 ft. elevation.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/10/12 at 13:46:33

WOW!!!  A great buy.

For the rear, I would do what Verslagen suggested.  Take the rear apart, clean up any dust/rust/dirt out of the hub.  Use some sandpaper and remove the glaze from the shoes.  Cut a few 45 degree angled slots that will help to push brake dust out toward the right side when turning forward.  Might was well clean and grease the brake arm shaft while you have things apart.

Here is a link that shows a picture of a factory brake shoe with the angled cuts.  I am not recommending that you buy these.....it is just an example of the angle cuts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Organic-X-Brake-Pads-Shoes-/330780191816?pt=Motor...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/10/12 at 17:08:02

Do Not Breathe the dust. do not breathe the dust. read &^ repeat as necessary.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 09/10/12 at 22:59:59

my oems squeeked like mice gettin steped on..did the brake cleaner spary a few times then got ebc's no mice no more

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:34:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › squeaking breaks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.