Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front Brake Caliper (Read 104 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Front Brake Caliper
09/10/12 at 16:40:01

That thing just drives me up the wall. The brake performance is more than adequate to me but this thing is something else with releasing the pads. I had two different calipers and both caused the same problems with not releasing correctly. The problem lies with the sliding pins. The pistons goes really easy and the caliper is bled correctly. I can push the piston back in with both my hands holding it and pushing it in with my thumbs. So that is out of the equation. The pad springs are like new and not bent crooked or anything. Takes them out of the equation as well.
The real problem is the pins. I once lubed them with that grease that is made for use on brakes. It even says it is suitable for rubber parts. Well after a few weeks of riding I realized that this is untrue. The pin that rides in the rubber bushing gets stuck, because that grease made the rubber sticky inside. The pin that rides in the caliper housing is fine. So i cleaned that out and used a silicone based grease for both pins. Well after a few weeks of riding like that it is the opposite. The bigger upper pin is sticking and the silicone grease is all black in there, whereas the stuff looks fine in the lower smaller pin that slides in the rubber bushing.
So i took the darn thing apart again tonight and cleaned everything again and just left the lower pin alone. Got the brakes grease out again and brushed a thin film of it on the rails where the edges of the pads move and the pin that holds the pads in place and on top of the pad springs.
We will see how this works out over time.

How do you guys fix that stuff when doing pads? Anybody ever greased their pins, and if so with what. Or am I the only one with this pesky problem?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Front Brake Caliper
Reply #1 - 09/10/12 at 17:11:23

Brake pads are meant to be dry. Grease catches dust & sand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/10/12 at 17:29:48

I've read this and mean to look into it someday.

All street brakes don't release completely.
Racing brakes just as brembo do.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/10/12 at 17:48:28

I think there's supposed to be a boot on both,.. upper and lower... I suppose that's the bushing you're talking about... (it's boot'ish... Grin)...

I clean and lube mine,.. no problem...  I use them squirty brake lube packs you get at the auto store for a $1...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 09/10/12 at 17:52:23

Well thing is the rotor gets really warm, especially on the highway. I started noticing this one day when standing at a red light and I let the bike roll forward slowly and it squealed. I pulled over and lifted the front pushing it up with the handle bar and spun the wheel by hand. It was really dragging and made that same squeal. That's when it all started. I've been fighting this ever since. I could swear that this was about the same time my gas mileage started dropping.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/10/12 at 17:54:31

I know it seems crazy,.. but that's normal... Too hot to touch for 1/2 hour after a ride...

Normal...

As long as you can spin the wheel when the front is off the ground, it's not draggin'...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/10/12 at 18:04:57

Make sure there is some clearance between your brake lever & the piston in the master cylinder. Mine didn't have any & did just what you describe. I filed down the lever until I had about .010" clearance before it contacted the piston & the problem went away. Apparently it wasn't allowing the piston to come all the way out, holding pressure on the caliper & causing it to drag & getting worse as heat built up & the fluid expanded. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 09/10/12 at 19:03:18

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 09/10/12 at 18:04:57:
Make sure there is some clearance between your brake lever & the piston in the master cylinder. Mine didn't have any & did just what you describe. I filed down the lever until I had about .010" clearance before it contacted the piston & the problem went away. Apparently it wasn't allowing the piston to come all the way out, holding pressure on the caliper & causing it to drag & getting worse as heat built up & the fluid expanded. Cool

I'm gonna check that out tomorrow. Smiley

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 09/10/12 at 23:03:23

you can push the piston in by hand??
i had to use channel lock pliers when i replaced my pads..
me thinks a re bleed is in order

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 09/10/12 at 23:03:40

you can push the piston in by hand??
i had to use channel lock pliers when i replaced my pads..if no leaks
me thinks a re bleed is in order or the wrong fluid??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 09/11/12 at 04:28:07

Well it wasn't that easy to push it in by hand. It took both hands and then squeeze really hard. I happen to have pretty good hand strength. I had some elbow problems and had to have physical therapy and upon initial evaluation, they measured the hand strength and. The right hand had 150# and the left had 140#.
But I still might check out if I need to bleed it again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:31:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front Brake Caliper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.