Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Drive belt adjust on RYCA CS-1 (Read 274 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Drive belt adjust on RYCA CS-1
Reply #15 - 09/18/12 at 06:15:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/12 at 05:30:36:
Does it bottom out before the swingarm gets horizontal?

The tire hits the license plate mount way before the swingarm is horizontal.

Ryan emailed me that the RYCA shocks are 13" extended, and 11" compressed.  He also mentioned ~11.2" is where there is a "soft stop."

So, now, here is what I will be using for belt adjustment:

RYCA CS-1 belt adjustment procedure

This procedure will adjust for the max tire/swingarm clearance without overtightening the belt, which is an important issue when the RYCA modified swingarms are used with larger diameter (4.00 - 18) tires.

1. Get the rear wheel into the air using a jack of some sort.
2. Undo the tops of the shocks, and tilt them out of the way.
3. Lower the bike carefully until the distance between the centers of the shock mounting points is 11 inches (or whatever the distance is for max compression of your shocks).
4. Loosen the axle just enough so you can move it fore and aft using the belt adjuster bolts.  If you loosen it too much, when retightened, the swingarm gets a tiny bit longer, making the belt tighter.
5.  Allow the axle to move forward a little (~ 1/16") to a loose belt position.  The final movement of the axle should be from a forward position moving aft using the belt adjuster bolts.
6. Adjust the axle so the belt is moderately tight.  
  -- The belt should be just tight enough to permit twisting it 45 degrees.
  -- Make sure the pulley is aligned with the belt by placing a straight-edge along side the pulley to verify it is parallel with the edge of the belt.
7. Tighten the axle back up and, with the shock mounting points still at 11 inches, recheck the belt tightness.  It should be fairly tight (45 degree twist), but not rigid.
8. Without turning the belt adjuster bolts, tighten the belt adjuster nuts.
9. Check the clearance of the tire and swingarm.  
10. Jack the bike up to where the distance between the shock mounting points is 13 inches (or whatever the distance is for max extension of your shocks).
11. Re-install the shocks.
12. Lower the bike and ride away.
13. After the first ride, recheck the adjustment to make sure nothing moved.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #16 - 09/20/12 at 06:22:17

So, Gyrobob, after you followed this adjustment procedure on your Ryca how loose is the belt when the bike is on its sidestand? (lower run of belt midway between the pulleys)
Thanks!

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 09/20/12 at 18:03:30

BuckRYCA wrote on 09/20/12 at 06:22:17:
So, Gyrobob, after you followed this adjustment procedure on your Ryca how loose is the belt when the bike is on its sidestand? (lower run of belt midway between the pulleys)
Thanks!

I can twist it just past 90 degrees if I try pretty hard.  It does feel loose when parked, but whilst aboard and underway, I don't get much of a driveline snatch feel at all.  
                                                              (snatch feel?) Shocked

I'm pretty impressed with this belt drive thing.  I've always had chains or shafts.  Lightweight, quiet, no maintenance,.. good deal.

There are only two things I don't like about belts,..
1. Just about impossible to change final drive ratios.
2. The rear pulley is too honkin' big!!  It doesn't look tidy.  It has too much visual impact.

I wonder what a friction drive would be like?  http://www.barnettharley.com/component/k2/item/3444-cc-choppers%e2%80%99-wild...

No chain, no belt, no shaft.

« Last Edit: 09/21/12 at 05:44:57 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/19/14 at 11:02:32

So does the 90° test work for the ryca cs1 on a kickstand?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 11/19/14 at 12:31:30

HighME32 wrote on 11/19/14 at 11:02:32:
So does the 90° test work for the ryca cs1 on a kickstand?

The belt on the RYCA  when on the kickstand needs to be looser than it is on a stock bike.  When you put your weight on the bike the swingarm becomes more level and as a result it pushes the rear wheel and pulley back a bit and tightens the belt.  On the stock bike the swing arm is nearly level when unloaded and changes the belt tension very little when you sit on the bike.

How much?  How do you describe that in written words?  I dunno.......just loosen it a bit and don't go too far so that the belt gets floppy.  You should easily be able to twist the belt 90 degrees, and the top of the belt if pulled up should not hit the belt guard.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/21/14 at 09:32:50

Thanks again Dave, I have been doing it at 90° with a bit of effort to turn.  It was really tight when i first got the bike, but was making some rubbing noises, so i took it out a bit. I'll  loosen it up a bit more when I finish replacing the bearings.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 11/21/14 at 09:38:23

So now you know why you have to replace the bearings.

WWW   IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 11/25/14 at 17:52:36

Im not sure it was that Verslagen. My wheel was missing the spacer between the pulley bearing and wheel bearing. My belt is just a little on the tight side but not as much as the tension a stock bike would need.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:36:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drive belt adjust on RYCA CS-1

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.