Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Headcover removal.....leave in two bolts? (Read 97 times)
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Headcover removal.....leave in two bolts?
11/18/14 at 11:23:31

So now its come time to remove the head cover.

One thread says not to remove the bolt next to the chroming bolt (marked l16) and another, including Clymer, says not to remove the bolt next to the exhaust port on the top of the head cover (marked s30).

Diagram referenced is in the thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

Which is right or are they both right?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Headcover removal.....leave in two bolts?
Reply #1 - 11/18/14 at 11:29:37

I think they are both right......look at the bolts and see what they do.

I believe L16 holds the compression release shaft in place, and I believe the  S30 one holds the rocker arm shaft in place.  The S30 bolt appears to have a Phillips slot it the top, as well as the hex head.

Don't forget that you have the screws inside the valve inspection caps to remove...those can be sneaky and hide from you.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 11/18/14 at 12:34:19

If you happen to remove the S30 bolt that holds the rocker arm shaft in all that will happen is the rocker shaft will slide back and forth but won't fall out. Putting the bolt back in can be a little tricky, you will need to slide the shaft back into posistion using a thin screw driver.

The real PIA is the bolt that holds the front of the left chrome head cover on. Getting it lined up during reassemably is a real trick.

I know of one Savage that didn't get that bolt installed after putting  the cover back on.   Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/18/14 at 12:51:29

Ed L. wrote on 11/18/14 at 12:34:19:
The real PIA is the bolt that holds the front of the left chrome head cover on. Getting it lined up during reassembly is a real trick.

I know of one Savage that didn't get that bolt installed after putting  the cover back on.   Wink

I took the original (upside down) bolt out, and used a piece of threaded rod with a nut on each end.....that could be put in place after the head cover was installed.  This nut and threaded rod can be installed after the head cover is in place and you don't have to use gymnastics trying to get the head cover over that long bolt.  The bottom nut can be put on through the fin using an open end wrench to hold it in place....and it has thread locker on it to keep it from coming loose.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 11/18/14 at 16:13:55

Hey that's a great idea, next time i have the tank off I'll give it a try, thanks.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #5 - 11/25/14 at 13:36:13

the first time my bike's head cover comes off it's becoming a planter or ashtray lol (and I don't smoke, or tend plants Wink)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 11/25/14 at 13:44:35

Art Webb wrote on 11/25/14 at 13:36:13:
the first time my bike's head cover comes off it's becoming a planter or ashtray lol (and I don't smoke, or tend plants Wink)

I don't think so...the "headcover" is the official name for the part that bolts onto the cylinder head, and it has the rocker arms attached to it, and has the top half of the bearing surfaces that hold the cam in place.

If you are referring to the chrome decorative "head cover caps" that are bolted onto each side of the headcover........we are mailing those to Serowbot so he can build a chrome armadillo mailbox out of them.

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 11/25/14 at 14:10:44

D'oh! my mistake, the chrome cover cap is what I meant
and the firs time I have to pull that bad boy, it be serowbots fer sher

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:25:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headcover removal.....leave in two bolts?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.