Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
vm36 , backfires and cuts out at 1/4 throttle (Read 311 times)
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: vm36 , backfires and cuts out at 1/4 throttle
Reply #15 - 08/24/12 at 07:42:17

Tried it without the dial a jet ,getting the same symptoms but the bike doesn't run as strong so I can rule that out and say for sure that the dial a jet is worth every penny!

Teabowl I actually used 2.5 inch black plumbing peices to try out the concept ,had to heat up one opening in order to slide it over tge mouth o the carb for a perfect fit and used black rtv to seal all the joints. Also had to make my own battery box so the battery would sit lower so the tubing would fit between the batt and the frame. will Probly get one made from steel tubing if I find out its not the culprit for the backfires.  I used the baseline jetting lancer recommended with pilot soldered closed. Bit of a headache but not as bad as I expected. All worth it for how fast this thing is now.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/24/12 at 20:04:19

I am NOOO carb tuning expert at all, but from what you've described, and what I've read, I can't imagine how the intake would be causing your problem.
Certainly would be easy enough to test though: take it off and mount the filter directly to the carb and see what happens.
All the other intakes I have seen like yours are either straight or made from a single 90 degree piece. The extra length is supposed to help smooth out the flow of the air before it goes through the carb.
I suppose it's possible that your set up, with the joint in the middle, might be creating turbulence in the air stream? Still, I would think it should be better than just attaching the filter directly...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 08/24/12 at 20:07:03

teabowl13 wrote on 08/24/12 at 20:04:19:
I am NOOO carb tuning expert at all, but from what you've described, and what I've read, I can't imagine how the intake would be causing your problem.
Certainly would be easy enough to test though: take it off and mount the filter directly to the carb and see what happens.
All the other intakes I have seen like yours are either straight or made from a single 90 degree piece. The extra length is supposed to help smooth out the flow of the air before it goes through the carb.
I suppose it's possible that your set up, with the joint in the middle, might be creating turbulence in the air stream? Still, I would think it should be better than just attaching the filter directly...

A ram air setup is gonna need a richer cruise throttle range while the MC is in motion, otherwise it will act like your running lean, because it is while your moving.  When your sitting still it will be on the rich side but as you get upto speed it will lean it out to the proper mixture assuming you have your carb jetted properly.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #18 - 08/24/12 at 22:26:25

This is really out of left field, but it seems your intake is sucking hot air directly off the engine into the carb. Could that be a problem?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #19 - 08/25/12 at 09:38:31

Watching this thread with interest; I've been having similar symptoms...

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 08/26/12 at 03:51:33

At this point are you still using the soldered pilot jet ?
Pilot screw setting ?
What notch is the clip on the needle ?
What main jet is in it ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/26/12 at 09:48:23

That might be a true ram air, but here's why ram air don't work...

diamond jim wrote on 03/27/09 at 12:35:54:
If you have a filtered opening pointed into or somehow catching the wind and it's fed to an airbox, the airbox will do a lot to handle the increased air pressures.  But fed directly into a carb the pressure would increase with speed.  It wouldn't draw much fuel through the opening.  I know you know this already but allow me to explain it for other member's benefits.  With that setup, air is being pushed through the carb instead of being sucked through.  It creates air pressure in the carb that is greater than the air pressure outside of the carb.  The carb needs pressure that is lower than outside air.  It is that low pressure that creates a vacuum effect and pulls the fuel up through the jets.  Pressurized air may in fact push into the jets and make it harder for the gas to come up from the float bowl.  That type of setup works best when combined with an airbox and FI.  

WWW   IP Logged
Finney138

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/27/12 at 17:29:08

still using the soldered pilot
pilot screw is 2 1/2 turns out
second needle clip position
running the 180 main

out of nowhere the symptoms let off ,able to run a cruising speed ,when i let off the throttle it doesnt hicup like it used to , still happens the odd time , thinking maybe dirty gas ? rust in my tank perhaps

still running rich ,my back tire is full of carbon soot, and my idle goes wayyyy down when i come to a stop, if i dont compensate with a little throttle it will die most times ,i can barely see smoke in the exhaust but its deffinately there

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 05:36:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › vm36 , backfires and cuts out at 1/4 throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.