Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Inspection Sticker question for bobber (Read 148 times)
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Inspection Sticker question for bobber
08/15/12 at 03:02:04

This question is for Texas riders or any other place that might require an inspection sticker. I am bobbing my bike and going with a side mount vertical license plate holder. Any suggestions on where to place the inspection sticker ?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Inspection Sticker question for bobber
Reply #1 - 08/15/12 at 05:32:25

Why not call the DMV and ask where they require it to be? And while you are asking, find out what the requirements are to pass the inspection.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 08/15/12 at 06:34:01

Go to an aftermarket Harley shop,they have/can get a chrome plate that bolts behind you license plate and has a spot on it for the inspection tag.They also make a chrome tag bracket that bolts on to the front axle.Some states require it be on the forks.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 08/15/12 at 11:30:16

Each state is different. Here in Missouri, most shops will put the inspection sticker on the backside of one of the forks.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #4 - 08/15/12 at 11:46:07

Thank you all for the replies, if I can't find a plate I like that fits, I might see if they will attach it to the right rear of my swingarm behind the passenger peg.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 08/15/12 at 18:52:19

Mine is on the side of the front fork. Which reminds me.... I need to get inspected sometime, as mine expired in 09.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 08/15/12 at 18:59:09

According to Tx law it has to be on the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate and also visible from the rear.   Now this leaves alot of room for interpretation as to the exact placement still. Such as you could just stick it on top of the rear fender and it will be within those guide lines, or stick it on one of the rear shocks/hard struts  and it will also be in the guide lines.  Basically it comes down to how hard of an a$$ the cop wants to be about translating the law book as to it's placement.

R.F.

I retract the visible from the rear,  I can't seem to find where I read it recently.

« Last Edit: 08/18/12 at 09:59:57 by rfw2003 »  

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #7 - 08/15/12 at 20:48:38

Mine had a plate,so it was right under the license plate.In the pic it's hanging down at the rear corner of the saddlebag.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #8 - 08/18/12 at 08:28:44

rfw2003 wrote on 08/15/12 at 18:59:09:
According to Tx law it has to be on the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate and also visible from the rear.  ......

R.F.

I knew about the near the plate, where did you find the "visible from the rear" part of it I didn't run across that when I was researching our tag placement.

actualy where in TX statute does it say?? many hearsay qoutes of placement.

found this though

Quote:
Sec. 548.255.  ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.  (a)  An inspection certificate shall be attached to or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.
(b)  The department shall:
(1)  require that a certificate for a motorcycle be attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate;  and
(2)  adopt rules with respect to display of an inspection certificate for a moped.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 548.602.  FAILURE TO DISPLAY INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.  (a)  After the fifth day after the date of expiration of the period designated for inspection, a person may not operate:
(1)  a motor vehicle registered in this state unless a current and appropriate inspection certificate is displayed on the vehicle;  or
(2)  a commercial motor vehicle registered in this state unless it is equipped as required by federal motor carrier safety regulations and displays an inspection certificate issued under the program established under Section 548.201.
(b)  A peace officer who exhibits a badge or other sign of authority may stop a vehicle not displaying an inspection certificate on the windshield and require the owner or operator to produce an inspection certificate for the vehicle.
(c)  It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(1) that an inspection certificate for the vehicle is in effect at the time of the arrest.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.  Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1069, Sec. 15, eff. June 19, 1997;  Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1189, Sec. 37, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

« Last Edit: 08/18/12 at 09:29:50 by clearush »  
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 08/18/12 at 09:37:04

clearush wrote on 08/18/12 at 08:28:44:
rfw2003 wrote on 08/15/12 at 18:59:09:
According to Tx law it has to be on the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate and also visible from the rear.  ......

R.F.

I knew about the near the plate, where did you find the "visible from the rear" part of it I didn't run across that when I was researching our tag placement.

actualy where in TX statute does it say?? many hearsay qoutes of placement.

found this though

Quote:
Sec. 548.255.  ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.  (a)  An inspection certificate shall be attached to or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.
(b)  The department shall:
(1)  require that a certificate for a motorcycle be attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate;  and
(2)  adopt rules with respect to display of an inspection certificate for a moped.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 548.602.  FAILURE TO DISPLAY INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.  (a)  After the fifth day after the date of expiration of the period designated for inspection, a person may not operate:
(1)  a motor vehicle registered in this state unless a current and appropriate inspection certificate is displayed on the vehicle;  or
(2)  a commercial motor vehicle registered in this state unless it is equipped as required by federal motor carrier safety regulations and displays an inspection certificate issued under the program established under Section 548.201.
(b)  A peace officer who exhibits a badge or other sign of authority may stop a vehicle not displaying an inspection certificate on the windshield and require the owner or operator to produce an inspection certificate for the vehicle.
(c)  It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(1) that an inspection certificate for the vehicle is in effect at the time of the arrest.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.  Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1069, Sec. 15, eff. June 19, 1997;  Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1189, Sec. 37, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.

I'll see if I can dig it up again. Until then yes I have no problem with it being treated as hear say since I didn't have the document linked with it. After all I'm not Bill  Grin

Couldn't find it other then the law spec you posted.   So I retracted from my post about the visibility of it from the rear.  

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #10 - 08/18/12 at 17:44:45

I did find that the license plate must be unobstructed, and visible from 50 ft along with being lit at all times. I guess its possible that some LEO an others are rolling that license plate rule onto the inspection sticker?????

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 08/18/12 at 19:10:42

This is all I could find after extensive searching.

Quote:
20.04 Certificate Mounting Procedures for Motorcycles,
Motor-Driven Cycles, and Mopeds

1. On the Vehicle (Optional). Punch the month of issuance
and year of expiration. Remove the certificate’s back paper
and attach the certificate face up on the vehicle’s rear fender
or any other visible location on the rear near its license plate.
Place the certificate in place and apply firmly. OR

2. Backing Plate (Optional - to be furnished by cycle owner).
Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration.
Remove the certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate
face up on the backing plate which is mounted on the
cycle near the license plate for this purpose. Place the certificate
in place and apply firmly.

3. Other Provisions - Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles,
and Mopeds. Reject the vehicle if no fender or optional location
is available for applying the inspection certificate.

This is a direct quote pulled from
RULES AND REGULATIONS MANUAL
FOR OPERATION OF OFFICIAL
VEHICLE INSPECTION STATIONS

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/VI-87.pdf

R.F.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 01:12:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inspection Sticker question for bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.