Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Clicking/Knocking PLEASE HELP! (Read 240 times)
Jason
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit, Mi
Clicking/Knocking PLEASE HELP!
07/29/12 at 15:03:06

I got home about 7 days ago and noticed that my 2005 Suzuki S40 started clicking in what seems to be the engine area.  I rolled it into my backyard, and checked the oil - and it was gone!  I don't check my oil everytime I go out to ride, but I check it approximately bi-weekly.  About 2-3 weeks ago, I had a solid amount of oil in there.  Whether or not the two are related, I'm not sure.   I put 2.5 quarts of oil in it, and it's still clicking/knocking

I'm not very mechnically savvy, but I'm looking to learn.  I've included my girlfriends 06 Suzy S40 as a reference to my own.  Not sure if the audio/video helps.

To sum it all up, i don't really know what's wrong and I want to fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P88OmGaH7c - Clicking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz75Ye9un_I - No Clicking

« Last Edit: 07/30/12 at 17:14:52 by Jason »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Clicking/Knocking
Reply #1 - 07/29/12 at 15:46:10

It's gone now?...
Probably just needed to pull up some oil after sitting...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/29/12 at 16:00:57

no huge puddles on the ground?

well, keep an eye on it from now on.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/29/12 at 19:00:31

I believe the noise is serious......scored piston/cylinder, rod, bearing, etc.  Engines need oil to survive....without it the engine lasts about 16 miles......or whatever distance the fellow that ran without oil went after the dealer forgot to add the oil.

What kind of mechanical skill do you have?  I believe you will be able to buy a used engine for about what it would cost to fix this one.  I just ordered a gasket kit, sealing washers, main beaings, counterbalance bearings, valve seals.....and I had about $ 320 worth of stuff.  If you need a piston, cylinder, etc.....then it gets costly.  A new piston, rings and bore will probaby add $ 250 - $ 300.....

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jason
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit, Mi
Reply #4 - 07/30/12 at 14:54:34

Serowbot wrote on 07/29/12 at 15:46:10:
It's gone now?...
Probably just needed to pull up some oil after sitting...

I was using my girlfriends Suzuki as a reference... there's no clicking..

IP Logged
Jason
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit, Mi
Reply #5 - 07/30/12 at 14:55:29

Dave wrote on 07/29/12 at 19:00:31:
I believe the noise is serious......scored piston/cylinder, rod, bearing, etc.  Engines need oil to survive....without it the engine lasts about 16 miles......or whatever distance the fellow that ran without oil went after the dealer forgot to add the oil.

What kind of mechanical skill do you have?  I believe you will be able to buy a used engine for about what it would cost to fix this one.  I just ordered a gasket kit, sealing washers, main beaings, counterbalance bearings, valve seals.....and I had about $ 320 worth of stuff.  If you need a piston, cylinder, etc.....then it gets costly.  A new piston, rings and bore will probaby add $ 250 - $ 300.....

I don't have much mechanical knowledge other than being able to change the brakes, oil, fan motor, and a couple other parts in my car.  If I bought a motorcycle manual, do you think I'd be able to do this repair myself?

IP Logged
Jason
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit, Mi
Reply #6 - 07/30/12 at 14:55:56

verslagen1 wrote on 07/29/12 at 16:00:57:

It's still clicking/knocking.  You're suggesting I keep riding it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/30/12 at 15:35:32

Jason wrote on 07/30/12 at 14:55:56:
verslagen1 wrote on 07/29/12 at 16:00:57:

It's still clicking/knocking.  You're suggesting I keep riding it?

OK, looks like I missed the non clicking one was your GF's.
I'm gonna agree with dave, but I think this maybe outta your league to fix... right.  The noises could be coming from either down low or on top.  

Cam, rockers are pretty easy to replace.
piston, rebore not hard.
bottom bearings, you'll have to split the case.  haven't been there... yet.

So there you go, 1st two you can do, 3rd IDK.
If you do the 1st two and it ends up being the 3rd, lotta wasted cabbage.

You can tear it down and find out whats wrong, but be prepared to pick up another. I think that's the way I'd go.  Or you can keep riding till it won't bring you home.  hopefully it's a short walk.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Clicking/Knocking PLEASE HELP!
Reply #8 - 07/30/12 at 17:23:57

Drain the oil into a Clean pan & run a magnet thru it, remove the filter, gut it, see whats in it,, since you have the GFs bike for a "control", do the same with it,, Youll see if you have something grinding to death,
Where the rockers hit the cam isnt a really rare failure,,you mite get out easy if you find it soon enough.

How does it run? Have you adjusted the valves, ever? Hows the idle speed?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/31/12 at 05:15:41

Quote:
I don't have much mechanical knowledge other than being able to change the brakes, oil, fan motor, and a couple other parts in my car.  If I bought a motorcycle manual, do you think I'd be able to do this repair myself?

The manual is pretty good about helping you out and making the steps pretty systematic......you will need some special tools.  An impact screw driver is necessary for getting the phillips head screws loose.  There are not many of these screws - but the ones it has are tight and you will not be able to loosen them with a screwdriver.  You could start by taking the engine down to see where the damage is:  Head, Piston/cycinder, lower end bearings.  If you get to the lower end and it is in bad shape....moneywise you should probably just get a replacement engine - which requires the least amount of mechanical aptitude.  The 32 mm countershaft nut is a size that is not found in most peoples toolbox - you may need to go borrow that from someone.  If you need to split the case - you need a puller for the alternator rotor and a 46mm deep socket for the flywheel nut.

If you have never had an engine apart......the Savage is about as easly as they come......but it is still a task that requires some experience and/or a good willing helper with some previous experience.    

And engine swap is easily done in a long day - and engine tear down and rebuild will require 3-4 days and a good clean work area.  I am currently in the process on my bike, and with the initial tear down, analysis, parts ordering, waiting for parts to arrive, and putting it back together......I am guessing 6 weeks will pass.

« Last Edit: 07/31/12 at 07:36:17 by verslagen1 »  

IMG_0389.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Jason
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit, Mi
Reply #10 - 08/04/12 at 08:33:29

I have a Clymer manual. Is that what you would use to make the fix? Is there anything else that is more accurate?

Dave wrote on 07/31/12 at 05:15:41:
Quote:

The manual is pretty good about helping you out and making the steps pretty systematic......you will need some special tools.  An impact screw driver is necessary for getting the phillips head screws loose.  There are not many of these screws - but the ones it has are tight and you will not be able to loosen them with a screwdriver.  You could start by taking the engine down to see where the damage is:  Head, Piston/cycinder, lower end bearings.  If you get to the lower end and it is in bad shape....moneywise you should probably just get a replacement engine - which requires the least amount of mechanical aptitude.  The 32 mm countershaft nut is a size that is not found in most peoples toolbox - you may need to go borrow that from someone.  If you need to split the case - you need a puller for the alternator rotor and a 46mm deep socket for the flywheel nut.

If you have never had an engine apart......the Savage is about as easly as they come......but it is still a task that requires some experience and/or a good willing helper with some previous experience.    

And engine swap is easily done in a long day - and engine tear down and rebuild will require 3-4 days and a good clean work area.  I am currently in the process on my bike, and with the initial tear down, analysis, parts ordering, waiting for parts to arrive, and putting it back together......I am guessing 6 weeks will pass.

IP Logged
Jason
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit, Mi
Reply #11 - 08/04/12 at 08:36:03

No to the maintenance questions. The bike has about 9000 miles on it and I've owned it since May. I'm going to drain the oil and see if there's anything in it. Is it possible that it's a broken seal? Not sure if that would explain the clicking though. I'll report back with the magnet results.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/30/12 at 17:23:57:
Drain the oil into a Clean pan & run a magnet thru it, remove the filter, gut it, see whats in it,, since you have the GFs bike for a "control", do the same with it,, Youll see if you have something grinding to death,
Where the rockers hit the cam isnt a really rare failure,,you mite get out easy if you find it soon enough.

How does it run? Have you adjusted the valves, ever? Hows the idle speed?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/04/12 at 08:41:04

Its never a comfort to run low on oil, you may have munched the cam, but since youve never adjusted the valves,,it may be time for that. They can get noisy. But a look in the oil is called for.,& when youre checking the valves, have a look at everything you can get an eyeball on up there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jason
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit, Mi
Reply #13 - 08/18/12 at 13:35:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/04/12 at 08:41:04:
Its never a comfort to run low on oil, you may have munched the cam, but since youve never adjusted the valves,,it may be time for that. They can get noisy. But a look in the oil is called for.,& when youre checking the valves, have a look at everything you can get an eyeball on up there.

That's actually what my girlfriends dad said.  He worked on Harleys for a long time and built cars in the Ford motor plant for 30 years.  He knows his nuts, but has been out of town a lot.  Do you think it could be time for a valve adjustment?  Where would I find the best information or a tutorial on how to perform one? Thanks so much!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 08/18/12 at 18:21:06

Someone who knows the tech section will be along & help you find the "How To" on valve adjusting.

Im happy someone with real experience agrees with me, Ive had at least one here tell me he would never let me touch his bike,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 00:16:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clicking/Knocking PLEASE HELP!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.