Send Topic Print
CONTROLS (Read 194 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CONTROLS
08/11/12 at 10:38:39

HI all,

What have you people used for different controls for the clutch and brake? I think the originals are sort of clunky. Is it feasible to use a different master cylinder? Stuff from a dual sport application might be nice.

Thanks,

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: CONTROLS
Reply #1 - 08/11/12 at 10:46:44

Most all DP bikes have 7/8" bars...  swap would get pretty involved...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/11/12 at 13:25:15

CaviMike has a really sweet set-up on his bike.
Pictures and sources for all the parts are in his thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1343961685

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/11/12 at 13:43:19

teabowl13 wrote on 08/11/12 at 13:25:15:
CaviMike has a really sweet set-up on his bike.
Pictures and sources for all the parts are in his thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1343961685

His are all 7/8" mount as well according to the links he gave Sad  to bad because I really liked his setup.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 08/11/12 at 19:20:39

Yeah sorry, they don't make those levers in 1in, it's all 7/8. Also, the 7/8 risers didn't quite bolt-on either, they use 12mm bolts vs 10mm on the Savage so I had to make new bushings and buy some 12mm bolts to attach them. I forgot to mention that in my thread. In the end it was all worth it because there are way more options with 7/8 bars than with 1in.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/11/12 at 19:30:06

Bore out the 7/8 hole to 1 inch?

--Steve

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 08/11/12 at 20:16:22

That's a bit more difficult than it sounds. Without access to a mill or lathe, it's either going to come out wrong or be completely unsafe. I'd use a CNC mill or a manual lathe with a 4-jaw chuck to do this. Even if you have access to either of those, you still don't have much room for error even if there is enough room. Going from 7/8 to 1" you need 1/16" per side. That's gonna be pushing it. I popped my brake lever off real quick and snapped this picture, I don't think there is enough room. I suggest getting 7/8" bars and going 7/8" all around.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 08/11/12 at 20:36:26

It starts with finding risers. These are the risers I used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-5mm-Riser-Handlebars-Clamp-Kit-Steering-Stem-Hond...
Ironically I machined off the 5mm rise but that wasn't necessary, I just like things the way I like them. I made the bushings from some thin-wall tubing we had laying around the shop but I knew I could easily make them from some carefully cut conduit - no machining necessary - but they would need to be cut crosswise AND lengthwise. A steady hand and a hack-saw is all that's required here and then crush them to the proper diameter. Then go to your local hardware store and pick up the bolts you need. They will need to be 70mm long. I can't remember the pitch but that doesn't matter, just bring a riser with you and fit it up.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 08/14/12 at 07:54:43

Hey Cavi-Mike in your pictures of the brake lever mounted on the handle bars you have a black (brake?) line running from the lever. What is that line? is it a break light line? your break line is obv hydraulic, i cant think of what else it could be  Huh

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 08/14/12 at 08:52:05

I think you're looking at the hose that comes from the reservoir. It's a remote-mount setup like most sport-bikes. The Savage setup is integrated.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #10 - 08/14/12 at 09:06:16

Cavi Mike wrote on 08/14/12 at 08:52:05:
I think you're looking at the hose that comes from the reservoir. It's a remote-mount setup like most sport-bikes. The Savage setup is integrated.

The line im looking at comes directly from the lever. looks just like a cable brake line on a Bycicle. the line coming from your reservoir has what looks like a stainless braid or spring wrapped around it. i just dont know what the cable is for?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 08/14/12 at 09:46:10

RanDaMan wrote on 08/14/12 at 09:06:16:
The line im looking at comes directly from the lever. looks just like a cable brake line on a Bycicle. the line coming from your reservoir has what looks like a stainless braid or spring wrapped around it. i just dont know what the cable is for?

Methinks you're lookin' at the throttle cable... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/14/12 at 09:58:33

Serowbot wrote on 08/14/12 at 09:46:10:

Throttle cable doesn't have a wire wrap.
You're looking at the front brake line or hydraulic hose.

WWW   IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 08/14/12 at 10:16:28

I think youre def right! I couldnt figure out what the heck that was for.  Embarrassed

@ VERS I could see the hydraulic line in the back round I just didnt know what the other cable was.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 08/14/12 at 14:16:41

RanDaMan wrote on 08/14/12 at 10:16:28:

I think youre def right! I couldnt figure out what the heck that was for.  Embarrassed

@ VERS I could see the hydraulic line in the back round I just didnt know what the other cable was.

Yep....that is the throttle cable.  We use similar cables in Trials to make the cable run along the bar so that the cable doesn't catch on tree limbs.

domwithgrip1.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 12:37:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › CONTROLS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.