Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25
Send Topic Print
RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS (Read 6258 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS
Reply #120 - 08/13/12 at 10:45:45

Could be worse, OF. I just spent 2 hours tracking down an oil that meets VW Oil Standard 505 01 for their PD TDI diesel engines. Sad

Found on a VW TDI forum that Rotella T & T6 met other standards set forth in their owners' manual but has not been tested for VWOS 505 01. Undecided

TDI diesel apparently have narrow cam lobes & have cam issues similar to a LS 650.  Shocked

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #121 - 08/13/12 at 10:56:50

Well, heck -- get you some Rotella T-6 and bump it and use that jug for your diesel car and your Savage.

Bumping is sorta addictive, I still think a stock Savage can live on straight T-6 (or T if you like dino oils) but if I am gonna bump I might as well hit the 1,550 to 1,650 bump band and be "plenty safe".

=============

fair warning
 --  when they force HDEOs to drop ZDDP levels again lots and lots of bikers and truckers are all gonna be really really pissed off at our government.   This is money exiting our pockets, and it is STUPID to boot.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #122 - 08/13/12 at 11:30:07

I think the saving grace will be the big industry approvals.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #123 - 08/13/12 at 11:53:44

I just stopped in to visit the local Suzuki - Kawasaki dealership. While there I briefly glanced at the oils on display. There were both Suzuki and Kawasaki branded 10W-40 conventional oils, and both claimed to meet both MA and MA-2 specs. I didn't think to look for other ratings. Nor did I look at semi-synthetics or full synthetics.

By the way, for those wondering where all the S40s are, he has a 2011 S40 on the floor, new, with 6 miles showing. The engine has no black treatments whatever.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #124 - 08/13/12 at 21:11:55

Charon wrote on 08/13/12 at 11:53:44:
There were both Suzuki and Kawasaki branded 10W-40 conventional oils, and both claimed to meet both MA and MA-2 specs.

I wonder what that means?  

MA didn't really say much about ZDDP, it said the clutch shouldn't slip during a specified series of tests and it shouldn't have more than a certain, lower amount of sulfur.

Now MA-2 says less ZDDP and even less sulphur and according to BITOG you can drift out of weight grade during some of the testing and that is OK with MA-2 oils.

Huh

Come on, you can't be MA and MA-2 at the same time, the amounts allowed and the test procedures are different.  

If you were whacked in the head you might try to say ANY TRUE MA-2 OIL has less than the MA sulfur level (true) and less than the MA ZDDP level (true) and it does pass a MA wet clutch test and MA standard doesn't actually say anything about dropping out of weight grade (the old assumption was this was a bad thing for any oil to do, btw, but it wasn't a stated rule per se)

Here is a source to help you dope through it all, but I can say is I think it is IMPOSSIBLE to really meet MA and MA2 at the same time with the same oil.  They are in conflict on some items.

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_oil.html

Somebody is just "chaining specs" like they do with the API sf/sg/sh type nonsense.

"MA-2" in the joint MA/MA-2 would rule if you use the API rules, but JASO isn't API based at all -- completely separate form of testing.

What does it really mean?

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #125 - 08/13/12 at 21:55:46

Here it is .....  in all of it's conflicting glory

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1105.pdf

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #126 - 08/14/12 at 02:38:39

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/13/12 at 21:55:46:
Here it is .....  in all of it's conflicting glory

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1105.pdf

Ok Oldfeller, let me see if I got this right. JASO T 903 is the standard by which oils submitted for approval are tested, and, MA/MA1/MA2/MB are the grade or class the oils that meet or exceed the test results fall into?
Two tings stood out to me. Only API SG and later oils were considered, and, in the chemical properties chart phosphorus content was listed as a percent between .08 and .12 which is 800- 1200 ppm.

Talk to me OF, is that not sufficient?

OF talks to him   Smiley     1,200 ppm ZDDP is only currently available through the HDEOs mainly because they are not under the control of the motorcycle industry.  The highest bike oil VOA'd lately had 1,100 ppm of ZDDP in it and that is not enough for a flat tappet engine like the Savage.

We are grateful we can still get $5.50 a quart full synthetic with 1,200 ppm of ZDDP from Rotella T-6 and I personally use it.   It is feared that this will not last, that a new diesel standard may upset this apple cart too.

Buy yourself a bottle of booster and get used to using it -- it is the future of Savage oil.

Most of us booster bottle equipped folks are running 1,550 to 1,850 ppm using 1,200 ppm Rotella products as the least cost per quart start point oil with the highest starting ZDDP.  

Quite a few here still do run Rotella straight, but they also remember last year when 1,200 was considered to be the bare minimum number that was good for the Savage and most bike oils had ZDDP in the 1,350 ppm range.

« Last Edit: 08/14/12 at 09:18:04 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #127 - 08/14/12 at 07:41:35

Watch out when they chain the API specs, the latest one listed controls the ZDDP shooting match.

SJ and later are equal to or less than 1,000 ppm.  SJ was the first API spec to list a maximum ZDDP number, the first spec to give a range (min and max) was SL and that was a very low 600 to 800 ppm range.

SF, SG, and SH have no ZDDP minimum number as part of their spec.   Nobody had even thought about putting in less ZDDP back then and large numbers of were expected back in the day when those specs were current.  Nobody worried much about cat converters, either as they died way early anyway.   There wasn't any strict yearly tail pipe testing either.  

You may have visions of 1,400 ppm dancing around in your head, but the bike oil vendors are actually giving you 800 to 1,100 ppm off the old obsolete SF, SG and SH grades.   No minimum number provided in the spec, remember?

===============

If API grades control the ZDDP you got trouble because folks like Lucas are claiming the earlier grades but by recent VOA are only providing 800 ppm of ZDDP.   Remember, no minimum numbers in the old specs .....

So, you got a range of 800-1,200 by API spec and quite a few vendors who are providing you the small end of that range for fear of buying some bike cat converters along the way.

We here on the list are providing ourselves a more head functional 1,200 to 1,850 by bumping.

We have listed the very few JASO clutch tested oils that give 1,200 and up in our recommended listing.   We have also listed the clutch friendly ZDDP boosters that are currently available.

Looks like other than posting Boule's mix spreadsheet we are about done with the oils for awhile -- oil and the life of the bike's top end is on you now, Savage owner -- you have to either search out good enough oils or else bump some up yourself.

This current oil reformulation mess isn't over yet -- it will get worse as more cat converter equipped fuel injected bikes hit the showrooms.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #128 - 08/14/12 at 13:09:15

I"m curious OF ,what did you end up doing , Straight T-6 or an ounce of redline in your oil?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #129 - 08/14/12 at 13:37:50

I'm waiting fer Boule's spreadsheet to make sure I'm a doing her right.

No, I bumped when the cam was new, and have pretty much backed off lately (although I may start up again as 1,200 ppm sounds pretty low right about now)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #130 - 08/14/12 at 16:37:32

No reply to my questions from Eastwood, in 2 working days.  They are probably in legalistic unhelpful CYA mode.  It is still kind of risky to  assume it is the same product as ZDDP plus.  Anyway, I will work up the mix tables for both Redline and ZDDPplus/Eastwood. Gotta kid-watch and get to some honeydo's, but we'll definitely get some zinc ratios nailed down.

Anyone know what a gallon of T6 weighs?   Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #131 - 08/14/12 at 17:29:35

Well, at the risk of really muddying the waters.... Have you seen the other 4oz bottle of zddp for sale on ebay?  zddpmaxx. I cannot find any specs let alone a PDS. The website for the company selling it is "zddpus.com" Bottle looks just like zddplus. Can't help but wonder if This guy/company talked Eastwood into bottling their product under his label. At any rate, it sells for $7.49 shipped for (1) 4oz bottle. Couldn't help myself. I bought one, should be in thursday. Maybe there will be more info on the bottle.  Huh

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #132 - 08/14/12 at 18:30:16

I sure appreciate your looking into the alternatives, 87 Savage.  I think ZDDP plus is informative enough to work with. The other ZDDPplus likenesses don't seem to want to go beyond "Put 4 oz. of this in your next oil change, and yer good!  Cheesy "  

Well, that's crap. That's the essence of snake oil.. when they won't tell you exactly what it is and how much is in there. We don't want to mess up our clutch packs by adding some unknown friction modifier, or adding too much ZDDP.

So I will make blend tables for the two additives that DO specify zinc or ZDDP quantity, and are not suspected of having anything but ZDDP.  There's still the caveat that things may be a little off if one wants to save a couple bucks on a chickenshit brand. And by that I mean the product(s) may be perfectly good, but some of the vendors are too chicken, or lazy/ignorant, to even state what is in the product (and at what concentration) so the end user can make an informed choice when taking his own risks.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #133 - 08/14/12 at 18:40:23

Boule’tard wrote on 08/14/12 at 16:37:32:
Anyone know what a gallon of T6 weighs?   Cheesy

Never mind, I got density from the MSDS.  Smiley

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #134 - 08/15/12 at 22:37:07

What about the Texas TEA motorcycle oil, they have it rated JASO-MA only
the MSDS isn't particularly clear on the "Zinc and other compounds" amounts

http://www.texastealubes.com/uploads/TEXASTEA._MSDS_Motorcycle_10W-40_API.PDF

and neither is their spec sheet

http://www.texastealubes.com/uploads/TEXASTEA_TechnicalData.pdf

sold on Amazon here - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NPO8LU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smi...   6 quarts for $40
or
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ER7L0U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=tl0d64-20&ca...  5 gallons for $88

I can come up with a car oil VOA on BITOG - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2668465  but that is thier Car Oil not their motorcycle oil but not sure what difference it would make?

I guess I could try it and send it in a Motorcycle oil sample for my own VOA.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:48:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.