Send Topic Print
Very bad cranking (Read 714 times)
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Re: Very bad cranking
Reply #45 - 08/13/12 at 06:47:12

Just tried it with his starter again still same Oh and i have figured out how to use multimeter 12.89v battery after charge

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #46 - 08/13/12 at 07:12:03

mmg123 wrote on 08/13/12 at 06:47:12:
Just tried it with his starter again still same Oh and i have figured out how to use multimeter 12.89v battery after charge

Just for info, the max standing voltage on a fully charged battery (SOC) is 12.7-8. Anything above that is a peak voltage from being charged.

Voltage reading under normal starter load should be not lower than 10.5
The larger the battery, the higher this voltage reading will be.
While jumped to a large car battery, the voltage could stay near 12 volts.

On edit
Standing voltage on full charge after setting 24 hrs, can be 12.7-8
Age and condition of battery can vari standing voltage from 12.8, down to 12.3, and still perform ok.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #47 - 08/13/12 at 07:44:08

Thank you i am so glad you guys on here can help This is the battery reading from overnight charge brand new maintanance free Please bare with me electrics are not my subject car body repairer yes 29yrs macanics yes ok at that Trying to learn please It is defo reading12.89 v

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #48 - 08/13/12 at 07:49:55

Ps I did the starter test with no battery connected

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #49 - 08/13/12 at 08:07:09

mmg123 wrote on 08/13/12 at 07:49:55:
Ps I did the starter test with no battery connected  

That is ok using quality 4-6 ga cables. But the average jumpers use 12 ga cable, which going thru 6-12ft length can drop voltage, possibly to the point of not not being adequate to start the Savage.

If you come to a defininte conclusion as to what is causing the slow cranking, please let us know. So far, I'm not sure you have found the problem. You are going to have to do some "load testing", including your new battery.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #50 - 08/13/12 at 08:21:29

Me to if i tried my friends starter Will have stater tested then now i have a better understanding of the multimeter And take it from there

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #51 - 08/13/12 at 16:18:04

mmg123 wrote on 08/13/12 at 04:43:29:
Ok guys neg jump lead on bolt on starter pos on post of starter nothing Took starter out Neg lead on body pos on post whizzy round like crazy

Ok mmg123, Routy is right when he says you can't definitely rule out the starter by testing it without a load, but, since two starters (one of them a known good starter) did the same thing, I would be inclined to rule out the starter...for now. I need you to check the cam chain. Sounds to me like something is preventing the engine from turning over normally. How many miles on it? Pop off one of the valve inspection covers, then, on the left side engine cover there is a slotted plug remove that and use a 17 mm socket to turn the crankshaft and observe the valves and rocker arms to make sure they are moving when the engine turns over. The engine spun good with the spark plug out because there is no compression. But with the spark plug in, if the valves are not opening at the right time, or not at all the engine will turn REAL hard. Lets try and rule out the cam chain. Huh

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #52 - 08/13/12 at 23:51:16

The bike runs no problem if i let it crank long enough to fire up I also checked timing and valves when i checked decompression valve adjustment

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #53 - 08/14/12 at 02:40:51

mmg123 wrote on 08/13/12 at 23:51:16:
The bike runs no problem if i let it crank long enough to fire up I also checked timing and valves when i checked decompression valve adjustment

Oh! Well that blows a hole in that theory. Ahhhh, just reread the beginning of this thread. Oh well, back to the drawing board.  Roll Eyes

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #54 - 08/14/12 at 02:59:50

Have you gone straight to the starter with the power yet?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #55 - 08/14/12 at 05:06:50

Ok guys took starter to be tested Man took it apart guess what the little bearing on top seized armitor checks ok brushes to new bearing fitted like new This sounds really weird my friend not happy put his starter back on same problem Oh dear took it off and took it with mine to the same man He opened it up what a mess checks out worse than mine friend said wish he hadnt let me try it now His brushes are worn and its really full of junk in there Man it will be ok cleaned and new brushes Pick them up in the morning let you guys know if this is for certain the problem

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #56 - 08/14/12 at 07:00:05

Ps my friends starter i am paying for it to be fixed but its like the man said in the shop , its a good job i did ask my friend could i try his because it was on its way diwn anyway , was in shop with man and he could stop mine on a block of wood He could just stop my friends from spinnig but free spinnig it was very slow Mine was faster but cuild be stopped due to the bearing seized

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #57 - 08/14/12 at 08:12:03

Wow,, what a hair puller! Take an item off a bike & swap , only to discover, its in bad shape, too, tho, it WAS working just fine? Im just amazed,,.& confused, & I Hope this is a problem solved,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #58 - 08/14/12 at 08:20:17

Me to friend you have been of great help And i mean great help to me Like i said electrics noway my cup of tea Cant wait now till morn to pick them up and try  Grin I hope

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #59 - 08/14/12 at 09:16:23

You did a good thing taking the starter to be tested.. A very frustrating situation, fouled up more by 2 wimpy starters, &, to top it off, I dont recall ever finding a worn out starter on one of these,, busted teeth, yea, but the motor itself, brushes & bushings & bearings, Oh MY!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 00:47:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Very bad cranking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.