Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hi. New guy here with a couple quick questions. (Read 416 times)
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hi. New guy here with a couple quick questions.
08/12/12 at 14:15:27

Hello all,
First time posting here.  I recently picked up a 04savage, and just have a few questions.

1.  When I kill the engine after riding for awhile it almost always "farts". lol  Basically it's as if it was pushing one last puff of exhaust out, but it seems a little delayed, and slightly louder than normal.  I wouldn't quite call it a backfire.  Is this normal??

2.  I noticed that it takes a while for the bike to warm up before riding, and if i ride it when it's still somewhat cold, it runs like crap.  Very sluggish.  I know it's carbeurated, so is this why?  It's been awhile since i've owned something with a carb.

3.  I looked at the section on recommend oils, and additives, but am left with a question still of whether or not the oil I got from the yamaha dealer I bought the bike from is good to use.  

The oil is:  Yamalube Performance All Purpose Four Stroke Oil.  SAE20W-50  I saw something on the oil thread on here about JASO ratings....not sure what those are so....... this oil says JASO T903:2006

Any suggestions?  I need to do an oil change soon, but don't want to use the wrong oil.  I saw on the bike that it says to use 10W-40, so i'm wondering if this is too thick to use, or if it's good to use?

Also, the filter they gave me is called:      
HIFLO FILTRO
Premium Oil Filter     Part# HF137       Any good?  Ok to use?  

This is my first bike, so sorry about the amateur questions, but I just want to make sure i'm using the right stuff.  Thanks guys.

If this oil and filter aren't good, what should I use?  Thanks a bunch.....i'm happy I found this site.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Hi. New guy here with a couple quick questions
Reply #1 - 08/12/12 at 14:21:13

Blue04Savage wrote on 08/12/12 at 14:15:27:
Hello all,
First time posting here.  I recently picked up a 04savage, and just have a few questions.

1.  When I kill the engine after riding for awhile it almost always "farts". lol  Basically it's as if it was pushing one last puff of exhaust out, but it seems a little delayed, and slightly louder than normal.  I wouldn't quite call it a backfire.  Is this normal??

Yep, normal & better than a lot of them.,some sound like a gun, then its time for some problem solving.
Quote:
2.  I noticed that it takes a while for the bike to warm up before riding, and if i ride it when it's still somewhat cold, it runs like crap.  Very sluggish.  I know it's carbeurated, so is this why?  It's been awhile since i've owned something with a carb.

Tried 1/2 choke?
Quote:
3.  I looked at the section on recommend oils, and additives, but am left with a question still of whether or not the oil I got from the yamaha dealer I bought the bike from is good to use.

Yea, man, most likely its fine. Its the $$$/quart thing & whether or not its good for flat tappet types.The rockers get wiped by the cam & its a pretty low pressure motor, goitta have some slick stuff in there to keep it happy. Best bang for the buck, IMO, Rotella,.,.dino oil,.thats my feelin on it, anyway. 
Quote:
The oil is:  Yamalube Performance All Purpose Four Stroke Oil.  SAE20W-50  I saw something on the oil thread on here about JASO ratings....not sure what those are so....... this oil says JASO T903:2006

Any suggestions?  I need to do an oil change soon, but don't want to use the wrong oil.  I saw on the bike that it says to use 10W-40, so i'm wondering if this is too thick to use, or if it's good to use?

Also, the filter they gave me is called:      
HIFLO FILTRO
Premium Oil Filter     Part# HF137       Any good?  Ok to use?  

This is my first bike, so sorry about the amateur questions, but I just want to make sure i'm using the right stuff.  Thanks guys.

If this oil and filter aren't good, what should I use?  Thanks a bunch.....i'm happy I found this site.

Dam JOG, when you gonna learn?

« Last Edit: 08/12/12 at 15:50:10 by verslagen1 »  

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 08/12/12 at 16:13:39

Yamaha oil is a Mobile oil one of the best you can use without going to a premium motorcycle racing oil.And T903 means a high performance oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/12/12 at 19:14:09

Ok.  Thanks guys.  Thanks for the timely replies also.  So basically i'm good to go with everything, even with the oil being a heavier weight at 20W-50 right?  Just wondering why they recommend the 10W-40 for the bike though?

Yeah, I do use the choke when i'm in a hurry.  It's probably just me being dumb about it.  I'm new to owning motorcycles, so there are some things that i'm just not sure about.  I know cars, but that's a different machine.  Thanks again!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/12/12 at 20:01:38

Blue,

You are new, so you didn't know any better.

Bill isn't someone you want to take any maintenance advice from, mainly because he has never done any, ever.  He always agrees with you, whatever it is that you seem to want to do.  

As a matter of fact he has been enjoined by the list moderators to NEVER offer his maintenance advice to unknowing new persons ever again.   They don't know any better and they will act on what he says.

Justin, as the head judge of the Kangaroo Kourt that convicted Bill years ago, won't pass the final judgement down on Bill, so the moderators won't execute Bill just yet ....  unless Justin has decided to speak finally.

Justin, Bill has once again offered bad advice to yet another new person -- say, what was that sentence you passed on him again?  

"If Bill ever offers bad advice to newbies again, we will change his list name to ......"

Say it Justin, jest go ahead and say it .....

==================

T903 and T904 are test and reporting procedures for JASO certifications.  Specifically they are never to be used as any form of published "claim of certification" as they are just a specified test series and some report paperwork, not a JASO cert or approval.

Saying T903:2006 is saying you used the forms for an obsolete done been replaced multiple times by now test series and report series used to ask for a JASO certification.  Or worse, you are saying you sent paperwork in to JASO back in in 2006 and got no cert nor any form of approval for your trouble.  (JASO changed last month, btw, to JASO MA-2 standards, so all the tests and paperwork changed yet again)

Or you are trying to do something, mebbe it says that you are trying to BS your customers in some fashion.  

You read the standard yourself and tell us what it says.

www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV0412.pdf

Is it good oil?  Yes, for a Yamaha big V twin or a Harley -- not so much for a Savage.  

Use it up and then see about getting a more appropriate weight of oil, and PLEASE get one with enough ZDDP in it to support your Savage's flat tappets that Yamaha big twins and Harleys DO NOT HAVE inside them.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/12/12 at 20:44:06

Dang if I remember. I have great ideas all the time & then forget them,,
I think,, heck, I dunno,, I cant remember..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/12/12 at 21:06:37

So Bill is saved from having his list name changed to Billshutter yet again because the judge over his case has a mild case of OFS and can't seem to remember what the Kourt's selected punitive sentence was going to be ....

Let's see, it was either the ugly Hillbilly, the BIG Hook or else getting his list name permanently changed.

All hail the Kourt,  Justice is swerved yet again !!!

It is the American way --- ask OJ Simpson's lawyers iffen you don't believe it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/13/12 at 09:13:18

I read through a lot of the link you put up for me on the oil testing Oldfeller, but a lot of it might as well have been in another language to me. lol  Just being honest.  Thanks for posting it though, i'll give it another read through later on.

Bottom line, i just need to know what engine oil I should use for this bike?  I need to do an oil change really soon here, and now I don't know what to do/use.  Huh

Any suggestions on an oil I can find locally?  Or if not, something I can order online.  I don't care where I have to get it from, but I just want to know that it's the right oil to use.

Side note:  What do JASO, and ZDDP stand for?

Thanks again for the info.  I just want to get this done right.

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/13/12 at 11:00:17

I found the answers to what the JASO, and ZDDP stand for, but am still wondering what oil to use.

I looked through the recommended oil section, and I see there are only two oils recommened.  The Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40
and Rotella T-6 5W40.  

Are these sold as actual motorcycle oils then?  Do you need to use any ZDDP booster with these?  I can't seem to find a straight answer on this, but I will keep looking.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks again. Smiley

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 08/13/12 at 11:07:56

Just use Rotella T6 5W-40 and fuggeddabadit.
Asking an oil related question around here is like smoking in a fire works factory. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/13/12 at 11:15:36

LMAO.  I'm starting to see that.  I just want to know what's good enough to use in my bike without fugging it up. lol darn.   Grin Smiley

But just to be clear, the Rotella T6 5W40 is an actual motorcycle oil correct?  Not a car oil that people are using for their bikes right?  Thanks.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #11 - 08/13/12 at 11:28:25

It is actually a diesel oil, but certified for motorcycle use. It has enough of the ZDDP stuff for our cam and lifters (ZDDP is bad for catalytic converters, and diesels don't have them), and no additives that affect the wet clutch.
Keep your idle over 1000 rpm, so the oil will reach the cam shaft, change the oil when it gets dirty and your filter every other oil change, check the cam chain tensioner at 15000 miles or if it gets noisy, and ride the thing.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/13/12 at 12:09:17

Valves,, gotta adjust them once in a while,,about 5,000 mile  intervals,till the adjusters hammer down & work harden,

Short trips, heating & cooling cycles, tend to pull the cam chain, the tensioner will need attention, maybe before 15,000 miles, but Verslagen has the best answer,,

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/13/12 at 12:35:57

Blue04Savage wrote on 08/13/12 at 11:15:36:
LMAO.  I'm starting to see that.  I just want to know what's good enough to use in my bike without fugging it up. lol darn.   Grin Smiley

But just to be clear, the Rotella T6 5W40 is an actual motorcycle oil correct?  Not a car oil that people are using for their bikes right?  Thanks.

It is not a motorcycle oil,There are a lot of oils that are made for motorcycles,That whats best to use.Rotella is a cheap oil thats why Old Fellow likes it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/13/12 at 12:42:27

bill67 wrote on 08/13/12 at 12:35:57:
Blue04Savage wrote on 08/13/12 at 11:15:36:

It is not a motorcycle oil,There are a lot of oils that are made for motorcycles,That whats best to use.Rotella is a cheap oil thats why Old Fellow likes it.

Rotella is a Heavy Duty Universal oil WITH the required JASO MA spec that we require.  Being that it's in higher production levels than any m/c oil, it can be produced more economically.   Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 09:35:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi. New guy here with a couple quick questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.