Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shortening the forks?- Check the seals! (Read 45 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shortening the forks?- Check the seals!
08/15/12 at 08:14:45

Hi All,

Well I did the fork shortening thing last night. Used a short bolt and double nuts for the "special tool," $!.37 at the hardware store. Already had an extra long 1/2 inch extension.

I didn't take any notice of the oil leak on the left fork. What I did find funny was that the dust seal wouldn't stay in after I reassembled the forks. Well, with 29k miles on it the fork seals are shot. Now I have one short and one long fork leg. I'm not taking apart the right leg till I get parts from DK. Oh, and buying a pvc pipe "seal installation tool."

Moral of the story: Before you take the forks apart order new fork seals and dust covers. Should be about 30 bucks with shipping.

I knew it was too easy.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Shortening the forks?- Check the seals!
Reply #1 - 08/15/12 at 09:06:35

Ohhh, yea,, if youre gonna be in an area thats that much of a pain to service, do the stuff thats gonna need done one day while youre there,even if it doesnt look like it needs done yet, Depending on cost, of course, but I wouldnt tear a front end down for $30.00,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 09:29:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shortening the forks?- Check the seals!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.