Send Topic Print
Very bad cranking (Read 714 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Very bad cranking
Reply #30 - 08/10/12 at 07:07:31

I sure understand wanting to just get mad & hammer on it, but, I can promise, youll regret it.

If you "bridge the solenoid", you arent supposed to touch any contacts other than Battery + cable in & Battery cable out.
Now, if the goal is to start something & ya dont have the key, Then you short between a hot lead & the coil that Engages the solenoid. In your case, we know the solenoid is being activated, we dont know how well the contacts that carry the starter current are working, If you cranked on it for 6 seconds or so & it didnt get warmer than room temp, it is working fine., However, if ya messed up a wire & now it wont even fire, then its time to look at that.
Explain , in detail, what ya did while jumping wires on the solenoid.
I dont think its even possible to actually hurt one doing that. YOu mite not get what ya want, but its not hurt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #31 - 08/10/12 at 07:50:47

I put a srewdriver between the pos and neg big wires on the starter solinoid and it cranked just the same slow So i then put the other stater solinoid on i have got the same thing slow crank then click I then went to do the same with screwdiver on that one nothing Put the other one back nothing click click thats all i get Batt now dead back on charge Tried again jump leads from car still same thing

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #32 - 08/10/12 at 08:22:09

& youve pulled the plug & hit the starter & it spins nicely, I remember.
Perplexing problem,,
I dont remember, have you used the car to go straight to the starter motor itself?
Need to hit the starter button, w/o the jumper cable on the starter, get it spinning, then clip it on & see what it does.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #33 - 08/11/12 at 01:08:00

I got it spinning nicely with plug out As soon as you put plug in it cranks slow I have added a problem now both stater solinoids when bridged with a screwdriver big wires of course do nothing now

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #34 - 08/11/12 at 05:42:16

mmg123 wrote on 08/11/12 at 01:08:00:
I got it spinning nicely with plug out As soon as you put plug in it cranks slow I have added a problem now both stater solinoids when bridged with a screwdriver big wires of course do nothing now

Then the negative (ground) side is the problem.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #35 - 08/11/12 at 06:12:04

mmg123 wrote on 08/10/12 at 06:49:14:
Ok guys temper is going i am going to beat it to liquid metal I have a mutimeter set it for volt reading at 20 i am not sure how to use it  

Meaning no disrespect......but in reality, w/ even minimal technical experience, this is one of the easiest problems to diagnois there ever was, especially because of its consistency. Judging from the 2 statements above, it is time that you get some help from a more technicaly inclined person.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #36 - 08/11/12 at 07:35:02

Routy wrote on 08/11/12 at 06:12:04:
mmg123 wrote on 08/10/12 at 06:49:14:
Ok guys temper is going i am going to beat it to liquid metal I have a mutimeter set it for volt reading at 20 i am not sure how to use it  

Meaning no disrespect......but in reality, w/ even minimal technical experience, this is one of the easiest problems to diagnois there ever was, especially because of its consistency. Judging from the 2 statements above, it is time that you get some help from a more technicaly inclined person.

Have to say I agree with Routy. No disrespect, but, we are three pages into this post and we still dont know what the battery voltage is. Also leaning towards ground cable. Have you done as Justin said and hooked booster cables directly to the starter? If you do try that, positive booster cable to post on starter, negative battery cable directly to engine case not neg battery cable. If it spins good then it's probably the neg cable like Routy said. Since you have determined the starter is ok, if it still turns over slow then the problem is most likely in the engine. Undecided

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #37 - 08/11/12 at 09:34:44

It sounds like you've drained your battery while doing all of this. The battery doesn't have infinite power, you need to keep it on a charger while doing this. I am going to have to agree with Routy and 87 on this and third the recommendation of getting someone with more experience to help you.

IP Logged
rustysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #38 - 08/11/12 at 17:56:02

I have been following this with interest. It describes my symptoms with my bike. Brand new agm battery installed May 2012, my bike sat for the last 3 weeks went for a ride stop for coffee bike slow to crank / no start boost it rode home. Bike started fine until the next morning same symptoms. 12.6 volts at battery, check voltage drop across solenoid, ground and starter cables- all ok less 0.001 V. Ground clean on case. Decomp solenoid working. Check for a power draw with a test light between + post and + cable with everything off- no draw. Should start right--wrong should have checked battery Volts during cranking-- drops to 8.65 volts must have min 9.6 volts or better during cranking. Replace battery 12.8 volts 10.88 volts cranking starts and runs now. Just because a battery is new and shows full charge do not mean a thing. If I would have checked cranking volts first it would have saved me alot of time. My brain fart for the day.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #39 - 08/11/12 at 19:03:32

Your connections most likely were not tight. A battery does not lose its ability to maintain a charge after 3 weeks of disuse. If the battery was bad when it was shipped to you, you would have noticed immediately. 3 weeks isn't long enough for a battery to go from good to bad unless something made it go bad - like over-charging.

IP Logged
rustysavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #40 - 08/11/12 at 22:03:15

charging volts @ idle 14.20v and @ 1/4 to 1/2 throttle 13.85v unless its overcharging while riding?? When I get a new to me bike all electrical connections are checked, cleaned and electrical grease applied. Sometime because a part is new doesn't mean its good.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #41 - 08/12/12 at 08:01:47

Lets stay on this guys problem,

I would definitely put voltage straight on the starter & see what it does, jump it from a car. If it spins right, good, if not,, well,, Im seriously confused,
Make sure YOUR battery is fully charged,

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #42 - 08/13/12 at 04:43:29

Ok guys neg jump lead on bolt on starter pos on post of starter nothing Took starter out Neg lead on body pos on post whizzy round like crazy

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #43 - 08/13/12 at 06:27:09

Yep, w/o a load it mite run fine, but doesn't mean anything.

I coudda swore you said you tried another starter and it still turned slow ! Give it up man !

Under edit:
I have borrowed the starter off my friends bike and its still the same

Rich
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #44 - 08/13/12 at 06:42:29

Yes i did its all part of learning makes you a better macanic Some people learn the hard way and some pick it up easy So what are you saying give up Am not one for quiting i want to learn if thats ok

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 08:47:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Very bad cranking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.